Welcome to Gaia! ::

I like this guy... the only problem is that he is about 5 states away from me. So, how did I meet this guy? Through my friends that all met each other on xbox. I know that sounds strange right off the bat, but I know that he is an actual 18 year old guy and what he looks like, instead of some ***** on the web for these reasons:
-my friends that met him knew him for about 4 years before they "introduced" me to him
-I've been talking to him through skype calls, xbox, and fb for about a year before I even liked him in that way
-One of my other xbox friends that I've known for a year has met this guy in person
-I've met one of his exes
-I've talked to another one of his exes through xbox

So I guess my question is am I weird? Is there something wrong with me because I really like this guy that I've never met in person? Also... how do I get over him, bc he likes me too, and we once talked about it and we agreed that as much as we would like this to work, it probably wouldn't.

((I know my thoughts are all conjumbled... Kind of upset about the whole thing sad ))
Unless you have a car, a love of high gas prices and a burning desire to travel it'd be best if you just cut your losses and moved on. The distance between two hearts or the means by which they met make no difference. It's the ability to close the distance between the two that matters. If you're unable to do so, it's best not to suffer with loneliness.
Kostasi
The distance between two hearts or the means by which they met make no difference. It's the ability to close the distance between the two that matters.

That was beautiful smile I understand what you mean though. Both of us REALLY want it to work so maybe....

Eloquent Lover

Met my boyfriend on this site. He was in SC I was in FL.
It took a year for us to meet by plane, because we couldn't drive. We were both....16? Yeah.
We both didn't get our licenses until I was 19, he was 18.
We made it work.
Biggest thing is trust, a webcam, messenger, and patience.
A lot of people cannot do LDR's because of the need for touch. But trust me, I live with my boyfriend now and its amazing. We have been dating 4.5 years, and out of those, probably only saw each other...a year and a half into it. Afterwards it was LDR.
If you really care for each other, you'll find a way to make it work. Trust me. =3

Sugary Cat

I am also in a LDR, he lives in another country (which may sound worse that it actually is; we both live in Europe). I will be living with him soon. It's definetly not impossible, and its definetly not weird either. Best of luck.
kireina_chan
Kostasi
The distance between two hearts or the means by which they met make no difference. It's the ability to close the distance between the two that matters.

That was beautiful smile I understand what you mean though. Both of us REALLY want it to work so maybe....

Lol I'm glad you enjoyed it. But if you both really want it to work, then by all means pursue your happiness. I wish the both of you the best of luck in this endeavor.

6,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
I will be living with mine soon also. When I'm going to a University.

Friendly Citizen

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
I married the guy I met through a newspaper dating column. Still married to my happily ever after. heart

Familiar Citizen

My brother met someone over the play station network while playing Little Big Planet. This someone was in Russia. He is now married and in Russia and happier than he's ever been. He's a great husband and a great step-dad.

I met a friend through Gaia, she had a friend named Graverg. Today, me and Graverg are on our sixth year of being together with no indication of ever separating.

Just because you meet someone online, or through an online friend, or whatever you have, doesn't mean that the feelings aren't real. Sure, they may not turn out to be exactly who you thought they were, but that happens regardless of the medium (while it's easier to lie online, once you get in person that lie never can hold up for long unlike those who have been manipulating face-to-face from the start).

And don't forget that it's not just looks people are attracted to. You can be very attracted to a person's personality without ever knowing what they look like. While this means that when you meet them you may never be interested in them physically, it doesn't necessarily detract. (For example, asexuals who do not feel physical attraction can still love and find themselves compatible with many people on other levels).

So no, you're not weird for this.

Enduring Associate

8,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Clambake 200
A big part of any romantic attraction is personality. You know who this guy is and you like that. Perfectly normal.
It's not weird for you to like anyone.
fubenkunai
A big part of any romantic attraction is personality. You know who this guy is and you like that. Perfectly normal.

Well, it also helps that he is adorable >w< But yeah, we get along so well smile
No, you're not weird.

I met two girlfriends online, the first one I dated for about a year (met 4 times) and the second I've dated for nearly 4 years. Fortunately, the latter has attended college a few hours from me, so we've been seeing each other about monthly.

Fortunately, we're both at a place in our lives where we can make this sort of relationship work. I don't know where you are in yours, but you have to consider to yourself what will work for you. Online and long distance relationships have unique challenges that must be addressed, and the difficulty posed by them varies according to your willingness to work through them and your resources to manage them.

If you're over 18, then there's probably not much harm in meeting him. If this is what you decide, make sure to do it safely, in the unlikely event things aren't as they seemed. Letting others know where you are, meeting in a neutral or public place or in a group, and discussing your plans and limits are all things that should be considered.

If you're under 18, I'm not going to give you advice in that area, because this is outside my experience. I would highly recommend involving your parents in any plans to meet, because there are a lot more issues with safety and legality with minors than there are with two consenting adults.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Dapper Informer

Attraction isn't just a physical thing, it's a lot deeper then that in most cases.

So no it isn't weird that you're developing feelings for someone you've never really physically met.

Shy Humorist

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100

You arent weird at all Love is abstract not physicaly So keep at it and dont give up never give up because there will always be a way

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff