Welcome to Gaia! ::

Codger

Hi,

So i'd like to start off by saying I have a boyfriend, so you make think I sound stupid. However we are in a long distance relationship, but we skype pretty much everyday.

I'm 19. When I was in high school, I had a large group of friends and it was amazing, but I mean, I'm looking at it through rose coloured glasses tbh, I always felt left out and like, nobody would really care if I wasn't there.

I lost all my friends at the end of school, some of them took longer than others. Sometimes I text some of them and find out how they are, but none of them really seem to care, and to be honest, I'm not sure I care either, I just feel lonely.

I have a loving family and a boyfriend, and I'm so greatful for them, but I just want maybe one good friend to talk to, and hang out with. Is there something wrong with me ? Am I being blind to all my faults ?

I spent my last year (post high school) at art school, and if a whole year I never really made any real friends, mostly because of my depression, I wasn't fun or outgoing. Now, I'm hopefully going to spend 6months workings in Morocco with children, which will be fulfilling and amazing, but I still feel a need to have a good friend who cares, and who I can care about.

I probably sound really stupid. And I don't really think there's any way of helping me, I can't get my old friends back because we've all moved on, and I feel incapable of making new ones. When I meet people I'm so boring and they don't enjoy my company.

Sorry for the rant, but, does anyone else have this problem ? Thank you

Codger

Codger

I once had a long distance and neglected all my friends, didn't go so well but your story may be different.

Have you tried looking at activities within your community, gym, etc? I joined a gym and have been making friends through there and they host a lot of events so you get to meet other people. I think it's just a matter of putting yourself out there. You're looking for friends or a friend, group fitness classes are great too. This may/may not be something you end up considering but it did work for me.

Codger

BIJINKEI
I once had a long distance and neglected all my friends, didn't go so well but your story may be different.

Have you tried looking at activities within your community, gym, etc? I joined a gym and have been making friends through there and they host a lot of events so you get to meet other people. I think it's just a matter of putting yourself out there. You're looking for friends or a friend, group fitness classes are great too. This may/may not be something you end up considering but it did work for me.

I know this works, and I have been trying but I live in a small hamlet in the south of france, and things like gyms are pretty unheard of (also, very expensive). I got a new job recently, but it turns out I spend most of my time alone, it's a small tourism office and I am often the only person here.
Also yes, I did neglect some of my friends, but when I tried to apologize, they had all moved on and didn't care anymore.
Thanks for your help though ! I will continue trying to "put myself out there"
I have the exact same problem, so I know how you feel. I live in New Zealand, so 4million people here. Had some great friends in high school but once I went to university I made no friends - my high school friends made new groups at their universities and my best friend makes no effort to see me: she lives two hours away but that's not too far in my country - if she was free I'd go visit just for dinner!

I'm a hypocrite as I haven't done it but the best way to find friends is through your job and hobbies. Anything from sport, cooking classes, you're in France so maybe wine clubs if you enjoy wine [I do and I'm jealous as we can't get any decent French wine in the smallish city I live in]. A tourist office is a great place to work - even if it isnt locals that you meet, you could make some great friendships with foreigners, just ask if they need showing around or someone to take them to the best bars etc.

If that all fails there is always the internet to meet people. South of france is a large area so I'm sure there are people there who feel the same. Don't have any recommendations unfortunately but a quick google could help.

Codger

Blut Lechzen
I have the exact same problem, so I know how you feel. I live in New Zealand, so 4million people here. Had some great friends in high school but once I went to university I made no friends - my high school friends made new groups at their universities and my best friend makes no effort to see me: she lives two hours away but that's not too far in my country - if she was free I'd go visit just for dinner!

I'm a hypocrite as I haven't done it but the best way to find friends is through your job and hobbies. Anything from sport, cooking classes, you're in France so maybe wine clubs if you enjoy wine [I do and I'm jealous as we can't get any decent French wine in the smallish city I live in]. A tourist office is a great place to work - even if it isnt locals that you meet, you could make some great friendships with foreigners, just ask if they need showing around or someone to take them to the best bars etc.

If that all fails there is always the internet to meet people. South of france is a large area so I'm sure there are people there who feel the same. Don't have any recommendations unfortunately but a quick google could help.

Thank you for replying;
I am currently putting myself out there mostly on the internet, trying to contact some old internet friends maybe and things like that.

I do enjoy wine, a bit too much ifyouknowwhatimean. But I don't know of any wine clubs ^_^ And yet again, to me it's all about money, clubs are expensive and unfortunately, working in a tourist office doesn't pay very well !

However thank you for your help! I hope you find friendship too smile

8,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
French it up
Hi,

So i'd like to start off by saying I have a boyfriend, so you make think I sound stupid. However we are in a long distance relationship, but we skype pretty much everyday.

I'm 19. When I was in high school, I had a large group of friends and it was amazing, but I mean, I'm looking at it through rose coloured glasses tbh, I always felt left out and like, nobody would really care if I wasn't there.

I lost all my friends at the end of school, some of them took longer than others. Sometimes I text some of them and find out how they are, but none of them really seem to care, and to be honest, I'm not sure I care either, I just feel lonely.

I have a loving family and a boyfriend, and I'm so greatful for them, but I just want maybe one good friend to talk to, and hang out with. Is there something wrong with me ? Am I being blind to all my faults ?

I spent my last year (post high school) at art school, and if a whole year I never really made any real friends, mostly because of my depression, I wasn't fun or outgoing. Now, I'm hopefully going to spend 6months workings in Morocco with children, which will be fulfilling and amazing, but I still feel a need to have a good friend who cares, and who I can care about.

I probably sound really stupid. And I don't really think there's any way of helping me, I can't get my old friends back because we've all moved on, and I feel incapable of making new ones. When I meet people I'm so boring and they don't enjoy my company.

I am so sorry....most people still have some of the same friends when you're out of school and yes...it is hard. But people have to start living their own lives at that point.
Please be careful of the ldr.....you need sa bf thhat you can touch, feel, smell, talk to inperson none of this long distant stuff. I feel if you had a real BF you'd be fine.
Do you work? what do you like to do for fun?

gra,mps

Codger

GrandpaJones
French it up
Hi,

I am so sorry....most people still have some of the same friends when you're out of school and yes...it is hard. But people have to start living their own lives at that point.
Please be careful of the ldr.....you need sa bf thhat you can touch, feel, smell, talk to inperson none of this long distant stuff. I feel if you had a real BF you'd be fine.

gra,mps

Hi Gramps !
I know that a LDR isn't the best idea, but we see eachother pretty much once a month (he lives in Belgium and I live in France). I work in a tourism office at the moment, it's pretty boring but I need money to pay my debts (not huge, I only owe about 500euros). For fun, I used to go out and get totally wasted, but I stopped doing that when I decided I needed to grow up, which I'm proud of. Also I was stumbling into a drinking problem (like my dad), and i've now stopped drinking entirely except special occasions with my family. But for fun nowdays, I like to sit in bed and play videogames and watch tv, which kind of makes me think that I'm not cut out for having friends anyway...

8,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
French it up
GrandpaJones
French it up
Hi,

gra,mps

Hi Gramps !
I know that a LDR isn't the best idea, but we see eachother pretty much once a month (he lives in Belgium and I live in France). I work in a tourism office at the moment, it's pretty boring but I need money to pay my debts (not huge, I only owe about 500euros). For fun, I used to go out and get totally wasted, but I stopped doing that when I decided I needed to grow up, which I'm proud of. Also I was stumbling into a drinking problem (like my dad), and i've now stopped drinking entirely except special occasions with my family. But for fun nowdays, I like to sit in bed and play videogames and watch tv, which kind of makes me think that I'm not cut out for having friends anyway...

well as you know, ldr's are not like a real bf that lives near you....thats what you need, someone who you can reach out to when you need him and him being there at that time....
You are a VERY beautiful person....good luck sweetie

gramps

Codger

GrandpaJones
French it up
GrandpaJones
French it up
Hi,

gra,mps

Hi Gramps !

well as you know, ldr's are not like a real bf that lives near you....thats what you need, someone who you can reach out to when you need him and him being there at that time....
You are a VERY beautiful person....good luck sweetie

gramps

Thank you, but I really don't think this has anything to do with my boyfriend (apart from the fact that at the beginning of our relationship i neglected somewhat a few friends), but if my boyfriend lived near me or far, it won't now change my relationship with my friends...
Thank you for your help in any case x

Alpha Hex's Fangirl

Hilarious Pumpkin

16,390 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
French it up

I can't help too too much, but if you'd like someone to chat with I love chatting ^^
I know lonlyness and I am married with a kid.

Codger

Reiia Silver
French it up

I can't help too too much, but if you'd like someone to chat with I love chatting ^^
I know lonlyness and I am married with a kid.

Sure that sounds nice smile

2cool4ubruh's Kouhai

Kawaii Senshi

I'll talk to ya~.
i know how you feel.

im sorta in your boat but idk i'd definitely love to chat c:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers