Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enthusiast

PORT4L
So, tomorrow through Wednesday we're supposed to get hit with a big storm.
Up to 7 inches of snow, minimum. My dad has the day off tomorrow and I asked him for a ride into work. He claims that he won't be able to, because he'll be getting drunk by the time I need to be into work. He says that I should expect to bus. Normally I don't mind, but the weather reports say that at a minimum, there will be 4 inches of snow on the ground before I head out.
Am I wrong to think, as his daughter, that he should put down his alcohol for a bit to help me out through a gross storm?
neutral

Sounds like he's not being the father you always wish you had or once had before he became an alcoholic. There isn't much you can do but try to get him help for his alcohol addiction. For now, just do what you got to do by any means necessary, but do it safely.

Honestly, even if your father was sober and good to you, making him drive you to work in a storm is a bit of a risk (because he'll have to drive back by himself and might get stuck somewhere), it would be safer to take public transportation, because if a bus breaks down or get stuck, the city will rush to fix it.
I don't think you're being selfish or lazy like /some/ posters in this thread.

He needs help. And he needs to be a father figure regardless. He has a problem, and he's not being your dad at this point. In my opinion, he should be helping you.

But maybe in the end, you'll have to help him before he helps you.

Enduring Associate

8,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Clambake 200
What the bleeding hell is wrong with you people? I was raised by a narcissist, and I still see that this is selfish. A young, inexperienced driver is asking an adult for help, and he's blowing her off to get wasted. It's not his responsibility to get the OP to work, but to act as if he's not being mind-blowingly selfish is insane. This is something I have done for friends, roommates, and classmates who didn't have cars, out of basic human decency. Like...a father should not be this petty and cold to his own child who's living under his roof. Jesus.

That said, OP, you can't change other people, you can only change yourself. You have pretty solid evidence that your alcoholic father is not reliable. That means you have to step up and be your own best friend. Check the transit website to see about service delays or closures. Take an earlier bus. Bundle up and put on snow boots for the walk, then carry your uniform/work clothes in a bag so you can change at work. Check in with your manager and let them know that while you're planning ahead, you will be at the mercy of the bus system.

OP, the time comes for all of us when we need to be responsible for every part of our lives. Some people have to take on more of that, sooner, because of family or life circumstances. I'm sorry that your dad isn't helpful, and that he's not the one teaching you how to be an adult. But in the end, this is down to you. In the future, it's probably better to ask other people for advice about life skills before you're in a crunch, than it is to ask how to make your dad do something. I know that's not a pretty answer, but it's the one that will prepare you for independent life.

8,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
PORT4L
So, tomorrow through Wednesday we're supposed to get hit with a big storm.
Up to 7 inches of snow, minimum. My dad has the day off tomorrow and I asked him for a ride into work. He claims that he won't be able to, because he'll be getting drunk by the time I need to be into work. He says that I should expect to bus. Normally I don't mind, but the weather reports say that at a minimum, there will be 4 inches of snow on the ground before I head out.
Am I wrong to think, as his daughter, that he should put down his alcohol for a bit to help me out through a gross storm?
neutral

well he ought to take you to work then get drunk...what a pud

gramps
i think he has every right to decline if he's gonna be busy
thats not really a lot of snow (where i live anyways, idk about you) so he probably thinks youll be safe

Fluffy Wolf

Would it be nice of him to give you a ride? Yes. Is he obligated to? No. If the buses are still running, then use them.
Wow, no mercy from a lot of people on this post...

I don't think you were being unreasonable in asking for his help in getting to work. You're obviously nervous about getting to work during the storm, and he chose to stomp all over your concerns. That he did so, and did so in order to fuel his (obvious) alcohol addiction has to sting.

That being said, since he's proven to be unreliable in the help department, you're going to have to step up yourself since it appears your dad isn't going to be there for you, and I would keep this in mind in the future when asking for his help: there is a high possibility he will say no.

Call work ahead of time and let them know that you're at the mercy of public transportation for the day and, therefore, may be late. Most employers will be understanding about this if the storm winds up being as bad as they are predicting.

If you're still concerned about getting there safely, perhaps you should consider calling in sick tomorrow if you can afford to and you have sick days you can use. If not, make sure you check in advance for any delays in public transportation, leave earlier than usual so that you have extra time to get to work (no doubt the buses will be moving at a much slower clip than usual if the roads are bad), and bundle up against the cold. Also call your workplace before you leave so they know you're on your way.

If you work retail, you may want to call before your shift to see if they'll actually need you. (They may not if business is slow due to the weather)

You could also call fellow employees you work with and ask if they might be willing to pick you up on their way into work if your home is near the path of their work commute.

Inquisitive Rogue

15,525 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Firestarter 200
  • Threadmaster 200
If you're old enough to work, you're old enough to take care of yourself.

Sadly, your dad sounds like an alcoholic and that is a different issue.

Further more, it's just snow. We have five feet of snow where I am right now.

Besides, it's probably safer to take the bus.

Wealthy Hoarder

Don't kid yourself Op. He knows he has a problem given the fact your father laughed it off. o_o

Now as to the issue..I would be the same as you. I wouldn't have a clue how to drive in snow. Good thing I live in the South than. xx

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
You're not wrong in this at all! Your dad sounds like he's the lazy and selfish one here because he'd rather get drunk than help his own flesh and blood.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff