Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Noob

3,000 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Autobiographer 200
My conditional requirements are: proof of grade 12 math, senior physics or chemistry and grade 12 english for practical nursing. It ONLY asks for proof that I passed these subjects and NOT say what average I need to keep my acceptance.

I have 80s in everything except math since my math teacher is horrible. I'm confident I'll pass but not with a high mark.(50s-60s)

Since my college doesnt say what average I need to keep my acceptance, does this mean I only need to pass and I can still get in?

On the site they say they recommend 75% in each pre req subject so I'm not sure..
Dear Diaryxo
My conditional requirements are: proof of grade 12 math, senior physics or chemistry and grade 12 english for practical nursing. It ONLY asks for proof that I passed these subjects and NOT say what average I need to keep my acceptance.

I have 80s in everything except math since my math teacher is horrible. I'm confident I'll pass but not with a high mark.(50s-60s)

Since my college doesnt say what average I need to keep my acceptance, does this mean I only need to pass and I can still get in?

On the site they say they recommend 75% in each pre req subject so I'm not sure..

it really depends on the school.
maybe there is a contact in the admissions dept that can answer your questions?
A lot of the time, anything below a 70 is not passing. You'll have to contact them and find out for sure.

Beloved Muse

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Married 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Dear Diaryxo

Contact the university. They're the only ones who can tell you what they require for your conditional acceptance. We're all just guessing here, and anyone who isn't giving you the official university policy can steer you wrong.

If you're worried about math -- and you will need math for nursing -- get a tutor, communicate with your teacher no matter how horrible they are, and bust tail to get better than 50s-60s. At the university where I teach, 60% is a D, and Ds are failing marks. Anything below 60% is a reason to be put on academic probation. If you really want to make sure you are accepted, do the extra work on the math class if you aren't already.

Fanatical Phantom

I don't know where you're from, but from 'practical nursing' I'm assuming you're from Canada, in which you don't need a specific average for college (that's more a university thing).

However, practical nursing is a limited seating program, and if everyone else who applies has a better average than you, then you'd be out of luck. So at least TRY to do fairly well.
Are you in Canada? I'm about to gradual from practical nursing. I most definitely didn't have a high average, I didn't give a s**t in high school. Have you done or been asked to take the HOAE test? That was one of my requirements.

Hilarious Noob

3,000 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Autobiographer 200
xVallx
Are you in Canada? I'm about to gradual from practical nursing. I most definitely didn't have a high average, I didn't give a s**t in high school. Have you done or been asked to take the HOAE test? That was one of my requirements.

Yes i'm from Canada Ontario. What college did you apply to? And what was your marks? I have been asked to do hoae but the program I was accepted to doesn't require it

Hilarious Noob

3,000 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Autobiographer 200
What was your HOAE results if you remember?

Fanatical Phantom

Zombie Conspiracy
A lot of the time, anything below a 70 is not passing. You'll have to contact them and find out for sure.

She's from Ontario, Canada. Up here a 70 is like, a B- in high school and a B in college/university. So you're not failing until you're below a 50, or a 60 for specific university courses...
Dear Diaryxo
I have 80s in everything except math since my math teacher is horrible.

This does not answer your question, but I felt it important to add: Your college teachers aren't going to hold your hand. If you don't get it, they will expect you to make the move to understand it. That means creating a time to meet with the teacher, getting a tutor, or doing more work on your own. No one will care that you held the opinion that your teacher was horrible; all they'll see is that you failed.

Call your college and speak to an advisor. They'll give you the correct information; we can only guess.

Hilarious Noob

3,000 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Your Akina
Dear Diaryxo
I have 80s in everything except math since my math teacher is horrible.

This does not answer your question, but I felt it important to add: Your college teachers aren't going to hold your hand. If you don't get it, they will expect you to make the move to understand it. That means creating a time to meet with the teacher, getting a tutor, or doing more work on your own. No one will care that you held the opinion that your teacher was horrible; all they'll see is that you failed.

Call your college and speak to an advisor. They'll give you the correct information; we can only guess.

Thanks I know that but my problem is when he isn't joking or making fun of students for half an hour, his teaching is VERY disorganized. He gave us a quiz on compounding interest when we were learning linear graphs and didn't give a proper lesson until after the quiz

The first week he taught sine law for a week and the quizzes were easy. Then he taught us cos law for a day, gave us homework on word questions then the next day was the test. 99% of it was confusing word problems which he only took 2 questions on before the test and we only had a day to prepare for it! Of course sine law was only like 1% of the test..

He gives us surprise quizzes on the first day of a lesson and thinks quizzes aren't important so he doesn't bother to give them back or let students write it if they miss it ..

Parents have complained when their last years honour students took his class and all were barely passing and he blamed their last years math teacher for their incompetent teaching methods and says it's not his fault their iq isn't high enough to understand. The principal says they can't do anything about it

He's horrible. I will try as hard as I can but the way he teaches is unfair and unreasonable. Sorry I know complaining won't bring my grades up I'm just angry,,
Dude you are going to fail out of uni. If you are getting a 50-60 in gr 12 math and you are going into a program that uses math, you are going to flunk out. Not only do you likely really really need that good mark to get into that program (requirement means taht they specifically look at it and is a sign of the type of things you will need to take in college), you are going to just not be able to do that program if you are struggling now. And dont do the oh the teacher sucks thing. Doesnt matter. You are barely passing gr 12. That is easy math. That is I can sleep through the class and do well math. And that matters a lot when you are applying to schools like this because first year is weeding out people like you who are barely making it. When you are in post secondary it doesnt matter how disorganized the prof is, if you fail you fail. With how the grades tend to go, a lot of peopel who get the 80s and 90s are getting the 70s in uni, so think about what that means for you, if you are getting a 60.

Hopefully you have a back up that isnt requiring that math course and you have another course to apply with instead.

Dapper Noob

legnanellaf5
Dude you are going to fail out of uni. If you are getting a 50-60 in gr 12 math and you are going into a program that uses math, you are going to flunk out. Not only do you likely really really need that good mark to get into that program (requirement means taht they specifically look at it and is a sign of the type of things you will need to take in college), you are going to just not be able to do that program if you are struggling now. And dont do the oh the teacher sucks thing. Doesnt matter. You are barely passing gr 12. That is easy math. That is I can sleep through the class and do well math. And that matters a lot when you are applying to schools like this because first year is weeding out people like you who are barely making it. When you are in post secondary it doesnt matter how disorganized the prof is, if you fail you fail. With how the grades tend to go, a lot of peopel who get the 80s and 90s are getting the 70s in uni, so think about what that means for you, if you are getting a 60.

Hopefully you have a back up that isnt requiring that math course and you have another course to apply with instead.

I'm sorry but this isn't true. Generally you would be right. But I did god awful in high school, I did great in SS and now I'm doing great in Uni, and Mathematics is one of my majors. It all depends on different circumstances. I had a terrible math department in HS, with overqualified teachers who couldn't teach. Some people just can't thrive in HS. University is different.

Dapper Noob

Hi, I had almost exactly the same situation as you. Doing well in all my courses, but I could never get over my terrible, overqualified math teacher. I advise you to CAREFULLY read over your conditional acceptance letter, it usually states the conditions of your acceptance. If it doesn't say, contact the university and they will tell you.

I had around a 65% in Adv. Functions and they told me I needed a 70% minimum in all my prereqs in order to keep acceptance. Check the final date of your conditional acceptance. If it's somewhere in the middle of summer vacation, or late summer, it means you can go to summer school to meet those requirements, which is what I did. I went to summer school, got an easy 90 and went onto college.

I highly advise you to contact the college on the phone and answer these questions, then you can figure out what to do (summer school, victory lap..?)

I'm also in Ontario, Canada.
fzxt
legnanellaf5

I'm sorry but this isn't true. Generally you would be right. But I did god awful in high school, I did great in SS and now I'm doing great in Uni, and Mathematics is one of my majors. It all depends on different circumstances. I had a terrible math department in HS, with overqualified teachers who couldn't teach. Some people just can't thrive in HS. University is different.

Uh yes it is true? Obviously you never did good in math if you cant get the math of school, but when your average of people coming in is like 80-90, and then the average of the school classes is like 70s, it means exactly that. First year is weeding year and if you are struggling bad in your courses in gr 12 it is a sign you wont do well in uni.

Yes Uni is different, but that means harder and you have less pity from people as time goes on as your ******** ups are YOUR ******** ups.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff