Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Noob

legnanellaf5
fzxt
legnanellaf5
Dude you are going to fail out of uni. If you are getting a 50-60 in gr 12 math and you are going into a program that uses math, you are going to flunk out. Not only do you likely really really need that good mark to get into that program (requirement means taht they specifically look at it and is a sign of the type of things you will need to take in college), you are going to just not be able to do that program if you are struggling now. And dont do the oh the teacher sucks thing. Doesnt matter. You are barely passing gr 12. That is easy math. That is I can sleep through the class and do well math. And that matters a lot when you are applying to schools like this because first year is weeding out people like you who are barely making it. When you are in post secondary it doesnt matter how disorganized the prof is, if you fail you fail. With how the grades tend to go, a lot of peopel who get the 80s and 90s are getting the 70s in uni, so think about what that means for you, if you are getting a 60.

Hopefully you have a back up that isnt requiring that math course and you have another course to apply with instead.

I'm sorry but this isn't true. Generally you would be right. But I did god awful in high school, I did great in SS and now I'm doing great in Uni, and Mathematics is one of my majors. It all depends on different circumstances. I had a terrible math department in HS, with overqualified teachers who couldn't teach. Some people just can't thrive in HS. University is different.

Uh yes it is true? Obviously you never did good in math if you cant get the math of school, but when your average of people coming in is like 80-90, and then the average of the school classes is like 70s, it means exactly that. First year is weeding year and if you are struggling bad in your courses in gr 12 it is a sign you wont do well in uni.

Yes Uni is different, but that means harder and you have less pity from people as time goes on as your ******** ups are YOUR ******** ups.

"Obviously you never did good in math if you cant get the math of school" I don't even know what this means but I like I said after messing up in math in HS, I went to summer school both final years and got a 90, so obviously I do know how to do high school level math. All I'm saying is there are seriously high schools that are HARDER than others. We had an IB program in our school and I was pooled in the same classes them.

I also said "generally" you are right, but everyone has a different experience. Some people love different settings. This person said she has 80%'s in all her classes except her math class, and that was because of her teacher. Whether or not it is an excuse? I don't know, but I had the same circumstance and it turned out to be the teacher. Also, a large part of the reason the average goes down is because there are SO many students in most university classes, esp first year math classes.

I don't think this ONE mark should define someones entire future. You can figure anything out if you are motivated enough, period.

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Depends.
                  I failed my college Physics class, and by failed, I mean I got a 68%.
                  And they failed me.
                  Colleges are rough.
                  I recommend trying to get at least 80% in all of your classes.
                  Go to tutoring, or switch to a different teacher.
                  User Image

Hilarious Noob

3,000 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Autobiographer 200
legnanellaf5
fzxt
legnanellaf5
Dude you are going to fail out of uni. If you are getting a 50-60 in gr 12 math and you are going into a program that uses math, you are going to flunk out. Not only do you likely really really need that good mark to get into that program (requirement means taht they specifically look at it and is a sign of the type of things you will need to take in college), you are going to just not be able to do that program if you are struggling now. And dont do the oh the teacher sucks thing. Doesnt matter. You are barely passing gr 12. That is easy math. That is I can sleep through the class and do well math. And that matters a lot when you are applying to schools like this because first year is weeding out people like you who are barely making it. When you are in post secondary it doesnt matter how disorganized the prof is, if you fail you fail. With how the grades tend to go, a lot of peopel who get the 80s and 90s are getting the 70s in uni, so think about what that means for you, if you are getting a 60.

Hopefully you have a back up that isnt requiring that math course and you have another course to apply with instead.

I'm sorry but this isn't true. Generally you would be right. But I did god awful in high school, I did great in SS and now I'm doing great in Uni, and Mathematics is one of my majors. It all depends on different circumstances. I had a terrible math department in HS, with overqualified teachers who couldn't teach. Some people just can't thrive in HS. University is different.

Uh yes it is true? Obviously you never did good in math if you cant get the math of school, but when your average of people coming in is like 80-90, and then the average of the school classes is like 70s, it means exactly that. First year is weeding year and if you are struggling bad in your courses in gr 12 it is a sign you wont do well in uni.

Yes Uni is different, but that means harder and you have less pity from people as time goes on as your ******** ups are YOUR ******** ups.

Are you really serious? You're acting as if I'm a failure of a student because I have ONE bad mark. "You are barely passing grade 12" Have you read anything I even wrote? LOL I have high 80s in every class except math. It's not like I'm an incompetent at math, my mark last year wasn't horrible and I am pulling the my teacher sucks card because he DOES suck. Good for you that you find grade 12 math to be easy that you can sleep through it but when you have a difficult teacher that is so disorganized that he makes it extremely difficult to prepare for tests it's a different story. I know it's not just me because HONOUR KIDS in academic have had him and barely passed his class and worked their asses off. He sucks that much. I've already explained what he's like, I won't do it again because you wouldn't understand unless you have him. There are tons of people who don't do well in grade 12 and in the end are successful with high paying jobs. Hell, some people don't even graduate highchool and end up successful. You need to take your ignorant head out of your a** because not everyone who has bad grades in highschool aren't going to get in at all or struggle in uni/college or be a failure period.

I know complaining won't make me a better student, I just needed to get that out of my system. I was here to find words of encouragement and not being belittled by others. I thought that was the point of the gaia forums. I get it you are just being honest but you need to be a little bit more open minded.

Unfortunately I'm not able to switch out since he's the only teacher teaching the math course this semester. If I knew he was this bad, I would've been able to switch out of his class last semester.

The admissions told me they need a minimum of 70%. I've only had one bad test and I have plenty more tests to go so that means plenty more chances to get higher. My other teacher said the lower your average, the easier it is to get higher versus someone who is already high by midterms. It's going to be hard especially having a teacher like mine but I'm going to try really hard and get myself a tutor. And if I don't get the mark i wanted? At least I tried. Summer school is my backup and I'm sure I can still get into my college if I do well there since it's in the middle of nowhere, not a lot of people are applying to that program and I applied for Jan start.
legnanellaf5

That's an ugly thing to say to someone.

There is plenty of assistance in university that are designed to help struggling students. Saying that she's going to automatically fail because she struggles with one of her subjects is unproductive and preemptive because you don't actually know her situation and why she struggles. There are a lot of factors as to why a student does poorly in school which may not be translated to how they will do at a university.

Instead of being a b***h, why don't you offer some helpful advice instead of assuming that she's going to fail before she even starts?
Dear Diaryxo
legnanellaf5
fzxt
legnanellaf5

Are you really serious? You're acting as if I'm a failure of a student because I have ONE bad mark. "You are barely passing grade 12" Have you read anything I even wrote? LOL I have high 80s in every class except math. It's not like I'm an incompetent at math, my mark last year wasn't horrible and I am pulling the my teacher sucks card because he DOES suck. Good for you that you find grade 12 math to be easy that you can sleep through it but when you have a difficult teacher that is so disorganized that he makes it extremely difficult to prepare for tests it's a different story. I know it's not just me because HONOUR KIDS in academic have had him and barely passed his class and worked their asses off. He sucks that much. I've already explained what he's like, I won't do it again because you wouldn't understand unless you have him. There are tons of people who don't do well in grade 12 and in the end are successful with high paying jobs. Hell, some people don't even graduate highchool and end up successful. You need to take your ignorant head out of your a** because not everyone who has bad grades in highschool aren't going to get in at all or struggle in uni/college or be a failure period.

I know complaining won't make me a better student, I just needed to get that out of my system. I was here to find words of encouragement and not being belittled by others. I thought that was the point of the gaia forums. I get it you are just being honest but you need to be a little bit more open minded.

Unfortunately I'm not able to switch out since he's the only teacher teaching the math course this semester. If I knew he was this bad, I would've been able to switch out of his class last semester.

The admissions told me they need a minimum of 70%. I've only had one bad test and I have plenty more tests to go so that means plenty more chances to get higher. My other teacher said the lower your average, the easier it is to get higher versus someone who is already high by midterms. It's going to be hard especially having a teacher like mine but I'm going to try really hard and get myself a tutor. And if I don't get the mark i wanted? At least I tried. Summer school is my backup and I'm sure I can still get into my college if I do well there since it's in the middle of nowhere, not a lot of people are applying to that program and I applied for Jan start.

I actually said nothing about you being a failure, and I did suggest that you look into programs that are not math based. Because really, if you arent doing well in math now, do you really think you will be happy in a program that requires you to do more math? Stop being stupid for a second and think about the long term.

Be more realistic. Stop whining about how mean I am and think. It doesnt matter to the school that your teacher sucks. Nor does it matter if 'honors students' find him hard. You get a s**t mark, they see the s**t mark. End of. Canadian schools are marked based, and s**t I know because I go to THE top Uni in our country. Marked based. No one gives a s**t that you think that someone did well without a highschool diploma.Because you wont get your final mark by acceptance, your bad midterm is what they look at, and so you should really be more concerned about it. You seem too relaxed about a situation where if you do bad enough you wont actually get to go to the school you want to go to.

Also no, these days people dont get successful without highschool diplomas because it is a basic requirement for a job, thats why even if you fail out of school people will tell you to get a ged. If you want to argue stupid points, at least get your facts right. It doesnt help when you make up situations that dont work anymore. The typical person who drops out does horribly, and sadly it is become that you need a degree to get a lot of jobs so that is the new base line.
fzxt
All I'm saying is there are seriously high schools that are HARDER than others. We had an IB program in our school and I was pooled in the same classes them.

If you dont know what the IB program is, dont bother using it as a point. Seriously, you just made yourself look like a fool. The op already stated she is in academic stream. Ib program actually isnt harder end game, because schools will transfer their marks differently, so while the actual schooling is hard, you are boosted a s**t ton. Its just because of how they have a different marking scheme But its harder to make it an international standard, and I think that you get some courses that can apply to uni.

I did enhancement but Im not going to say that my highschool life was so much harder than academics and act like it is a big deal, because it isnt. It was a choice I made to go to that kind of program, and I could have done academic anytime.

Dapper Noob

legnanellaf5
fzxt
All I'm saying is there are seriously high schools that are HARDER than others. We had an IB program in our school and I was pooled in the same classes them.

If you dont know what the IB program is, dont bother using it as a point. Seriously, you just made yourself look like a fool. The op already stated she is in academic stream. Ib program actually isnt harder end game, because schools will transfer their marks differently, so while the actual schooling is hard, you are boosted a s**t ton. Its just because of how they have a different marking scheme But its harder to make it an international standard, and I think that you get some courses that can apply to uni.

I did enhancement but Im not going to say that my highschool life was so much harder than academics and act like it is a big deal, because it isnt. It was a choice I made to go to that kind of program, and I could have done academic anytime.

Ugh, I never even said I was in IB genius, I said I was pooled in with them. I was in the academic stream. My school actually had IBT, and the academics and IBT kids were pooled together. It was harder because the IBT's were 90% kids, almost all of them. So to challenge them, the tests were harder. This wasn't fair to the academic stream kids IMO.

Really though I do not care about yours/mine high school experience, and right now this discussion is not helping anyone.

Anyways, this is getting way off topic. 1 math mark in H.S does not equal your entire university/academic career, was my point. That is all.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff