Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been dealing with anxiety for a while now. The past 3 years have been pretty rough on me. I decided to make a Journal entry on my profile about me living with this mental health disorder. Everyone deals with their anxiety or depression in a different way. How do you manage your anxiety/depression? Did you have support with family members or did they brush it under the rug? How do you calm down from panic attacks? How did you recover from anxiety/depression? Anxiety and depression are usually things people don't discuss out in the open. Sharing over the computer makes it a little easier since we can't see who's behind the screen.
Maybe if you are a rodent.

Anxious Plague

11,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
for a long time, i was really hesitant to get help for my anxiety/depression. in high school i was pretty much in denial that i had any problems until the last half of my senior year.

the first thing i did was talk to my doctor. doctors are really good at helping you realize that a lot of people do have these kinds of problems, and that medications aren't necessary, but they're also not going to change you as a person if you do go on them.

my doctor suggested therapy, but i haven't felt the need to do that quite yet. medication helps me a lot, though it's kind of hard sometimes when you've been taking it for awhile and the thought occurs to you like "maybe i don't need this! i feel fine!" because, no. what you feel when you're on medication (if it's the right medication for you, which might take some time to find) is closer to having a healthier brain, and when you stop taking it, it'll come back and hit you like, ah yes, i still do need help to function.

i forget to take my medication a LOT, so idk how reliable i am for saying all of this

however!!!! having friends to talk to who understand your brain is also a WONDERFUL asset to feeling better about everything. that's why i haven't found myself needing to see a therapist yet, actually. having a journal is kind of like that too, except it's like, you can give advice and listen to yourself

idk if any of this helped at all, sorry

Spoopy Kitten

Had/have anxiety my entire life. Itll never go away, and i know that. My main support system currently is my boyfriend. I have a therapist who comes in a close second. My mom is there for me as a last resort if i need as well. To kick me out of panic zone before it happens, my boyfriends does the 'live long and prosper' sign to snap me out of it. If that doesnt work or he is not here, i handle panics different ways. If im along, ill get my soft blankets and snuggle around in them. Ill have my pillow pet with me to snuggle and hug as well. Itll take a few hours on average, but i calm down. If i have my boyfriend there to help me, i calm down much faster though it still takes an hour or two. He holds me tight, talks to me about stuff that makes me happy, and makes sure to tell me how loved i am

My anxiety is heavily tied with abuse i have gone through ranging from verbal to sexual

O.G. Gaian

SyfyGoddess
Did you have support with family members or did they brush it under the rug?

They're the majority of the cause, pretty much.

SyfyGoddess
How do you calm down from panic attacks?

Xanax, when I had a prescription. Since then, cannabis, alcohol (surprisingly, pretty infrequently; a couple days a month, on average) or just outright denial. But I've only had a full-blown panic attack a few times, thankfully.

SyfyGoddess
How did you recover from anxiety/depression?

Dunno. Most of the time I ignore it, sort of... switch my headspace. Crocheting helps; the concentration and repetition is kind of like a physical mantra. And when all else fails, I seek out my cats.

SyfyGoddess
Anxiety and depression are usually things people don't discuss out in the open. Sharing over the computer makes it a little easier since we can't see who's behind the screen.

Fair point, though when one's in a particularly low frame of mind, anonymity's neither here nor there; the problem's usually more that nothing seems worth the effort, because "it won't change a damn thing -- and who'd be interested in hearing my problems, anyway?"

You defeat anxiety by facing fears on your own and for yourself. Don't even ask for others' support for this. Don't even tell them.
I've been suffering from anxiety for years now. I never sought help for it, although it often keeps me up at night and the fact that I'm an adult now and it's affecting my productivity at work makes me want to get medication for it or something.
It really sucks.

Kitten

I have a really bad case of Health anxiety, and for the most part I manage until I come down with something new or something happens to me.
Like at the end of last month I fell and banged up my knee pretty good, well the whole time I was worried it was getting infected.. So my fiance took me too the ER. It was fine, but then the doctor brought up my Tetanus booster. Well I haven't needed one since 2006, which makes 9 years this year.. Don't need another until next. But, I told him that the last time I had one I had allergic reaction, which I did, my legs locked off and on for two days after I got it. So he said that it was probably better that I didn't.

But! My anxiety totally took over and for like weeks after I was horrified I was going to get tetanus because I didn't take the booster. Even though in the back of my mind i knew that if I had I probably would of known by then and that my boost is still good.

Yeah. That's recent horror story with anxiety.

Luckily for me I have a patient and understanding fiance who doesn't treat me like nut job, unlike my family who would just tell me to stop being a hypochondriac.

Sparkly Duck

If you want to ditch all your problems just go live in a van down by the river buy a pineapple under the sea and live in that betch.

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
A serious answer: You've got to step outside of your comfort zone. The only way the anxiety is going to get better is by exposing yourself to it and sinking or swimming. I say this from a place of caring and experience.

It sucks when you fall but when you finally do succeed it's extremely liberating. Self-reliance is a huge comfort and mitigates a lot of anxiety.

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
I don't get anxiety that much but if I do I just ride the anxiety attack (trying to stop it is futile). I try to mediate if life is getting too stressful. I talk it out or have a good cry.
Do lots of meditation and practice mindfulness to cure your anxiety.
Meditation For Anxiety

Generous Vampire

11,300 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • First step to fame 200
7724jxlT
Do lots of meditation and practice mindfulness to cure your anxiety.
Meditation For Anxiety
That mindfulness s**t is preached in mental hospitals and mental health groups like it's going out of style. It's all bullshit new age s**t that ******** doesn't work.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff