Welcome to Gaia! ::

User ImageUser Image

Darren sat at the counter, holding a cup of black coffee close. He looked tired, but he seemed awake and alert at the same time. A plate of eggs, bacon, and a slice of strawberry and buttered toast. "Thank you, Mrs. Duncan, but I don't have much of an appetite this morning. Perhaps Kit would like it."

"If you say so." Mrs. Duncan's voice held an annoyed tone. "But you will be eating lunch and dinner. I won't have you going to work and having people wonder if I feed you." She gave Darren a certain look that you would expect from a mother scolding her child.

"Yes, Mam! Now, if you wouldn't mind- would you please check on Kit and see if he is up? You wouldn't want his breakfast to get cold." Darren said with a smirk, sipping coffee with an innocent air when Mrs. Duncan gave him a pointed look.

Dapper Lunatic

User Image

Kit sniffed the air, following his nose towards the kitchen. It only took a few minutes for him find the kitchen. Sometimes being a rabbit came in handy, and his nose for food was one of those times. "A-Ah, m-morning! I hope I'm not interrupting anything!" Kit said as he peeked his head into the room where Darren and Mrs. Duncan were. "I just was hungry and-" His stomach growled and he felt into an embarrassed silence as his cheeks glowed.
User ImageUser Image

"Perfect timing. Mrs. Duncan was just about to go get you." Darren said with a smile, but his eyes remained on Mrs. Duncan. "Here. Have mine. I'm not hungry." With the edge of his elbow he pushed the plate over to the next seat. "If its not to your liking I can cook something else for you. Perhaps oatmeal or something hot to give you some color?" Mrs. Duncan was always so attentive. "Don't let his 'I got to have my way' ways scare you. I'll put him in his place." Darren couldn't help it. He had to laugh at that. Not only was that the truth, but it made him feel like a child again.

Dapper Lunatic

User Image

Kit quickly sat down in the seat beside Darren, but his eyes darted around as if to look for someone who would object to him doing so. He looked down at the plate, and it looked delicious but he sighed. "Umm... I'm really sorry... but um... I'm kind of a vegetarian-" he said tentatively. "Ah! Not by choice or anything," he added quickly in case Mrs. Duncan thought he just didn't like the way she cooked breakfast, and he didn't want to offend her since she was nice enough to fix breakfast. "I just can't digest meat, it makes me really sick... so if it's no trouble... some oatmeal would be nice..." He paused again. "With some fruit or carrots in it?" Again he looked as though such simple requests would get him in trouble.
User ImageUser Image

Darren opened his mouth to speak, but Mrs. Duncan beat him. "Of course. I've never heard of oatmeal with carrots, but I'm a believer of the phrase 'Don't knock it until you try it' and I try to always keep that phrase in mind." She smiled at Kit and took the plate away. "If you don't mind waiting a for a little bit, I'll cook you some oatmeal and chop up some carrots. I add fruit to the side. It's fresh since I just went to the store yesterday."

Darren stood and refilled his coffee cup, sighing softly over the cup. It was as close to heaven as he got. Probably ever will get, he thought with mental shrug. "Tell me Kit. Where are you from and how did you come to be in such a state as you were last night?"

Dapper Lunatic

User Image

"I love carrots," Kit said softly. "I'll eat anything with them in it. And I don't mind waiting ma'am," he said obviously trying to be super polite. "That sounds perfect."

Kit looked at Darren. Oh, right he had promised to tell Darren what had happened yesterday... He gingerly touched his arm as if to remind himself that it was real. "Ah... I...," he bit his lip trying to figure out how best to put it. "In simple terms, I made my- a very cruel man angry... he threatened me...and when I didn't cooperate, he stabbed me in the arm. He stormed out, and I ran away... and I never want to go back." Fear had already pooled into his big brown eyes as he stared at the counter. "I want to make a new life... but I don't think I can get a job..."
User Image

Darren stared at Kit for only a few seconds, but in those few seconds he was trying to figure out if Kit told the truth, a lie, or in between. He was leaning towards truth. For now that is. "Who is this man and what is he to you? A boss? A relative? A friend- well a friend nor relative should be able to do such a thing, but people are crazy. And why wouldn't you be able to get a job? Afraid to be found?" Darren fired one question after another.

Dapper Lunatic

User Image

"He's not a relative or friend... I guess you could call him my boss... and I don't want to be found, but I'm not sure it is legal either. I have certain... ah properties..." he pulled his hat down firmly. "that makes me unemployable." Kit looked a little sad about all this.
User ImageUser Image

A frown tilted the corner of Darren's lips down, but not for long. "I can help you, but only if you're honest with me. If you can't be honest with me then when you finish your food be prepared to leave and be dropped off at the nearest shelter."

"Darren!" Mrs. Duncan shook her head at Darren as she brought over a hot bowl of oatmeal with carrots in it and strawberries on the side. "Don't be so harsh on the boy. I know how you are about trust, but I think you're taking this too far."

Darren gave Mrs. Duncan a sharp look. He did not want to be rude, but she had over stepped her bounds. This was his home and he would not have someone telling him half truths. Nor would he help someone who looked as though they were ready to run off any second. "If you cannot respect my wishes you are free to leave the kitchen and my home." He turned his attention back to Kit. "The truth."

Dapper Lunatic

User Image

Kit bit his lip and began trembling in terror as he clutched onto his hat. "Please don't make me tell you..." he sobbed as big tears rolled down his cheeks. "I just want to be normal... just for a little while. If I tell you, you might make me go back! " His head shook side to side as his knuckles turned white from clutching his hat too tightly. "Please don't make me take my hat off! I don't want to go back to my owner!"
User ImageUser Image

Darren didn't fight the shock that clearly showed upon his facial features. Out of all the things he thought might happen he hadn't expected that. But nothing shocked him more than Kit's plead. He was begging Darren not to make him take off his hat and he apparently had an owner. "Owner," he whispered angry and even more confused.

Mrs. Duncan gently wrapped her arms around Kit and patted him on the back. She was afraid the boy would become hysterical if he wasn't already. "Please don't get so upset. I don't know what happened to you, but I can assure you Darren is honor bound to do the right thing. He seems scary, but he is a nice man. I came here running away from my past as you are now. Instead of sending me away, he did for me the same thing he is doing for you. That was five years ago."

Dapper Lunatic

User Image

Kit was still trembling but he seemed a little calmer when Mrs. Duncan held him. He had never been comforted before...well never sincerely. "It's not the same though... you're normal... you're a normal... human..." He said the word human almost longingly. "You're free. Free to do what you want to. You don't have a mean owner that makes you do horrible, bad, things... I tried to tell him no, I didn't want to, and he got so mad last night! So the only thing I could do is run away! But I know he's going to try and find me! I'm so scared!"
User ImageUser Image

"What do you mean human? No one can own another person and no one can take away your freedom." Mrs. Duncan questioned, rubbing Kit's back gently. "What did he try to make you do? You don't have to be afraid. He cannot get you here. That I promise you."

Darren nodded. "What Mrs. Duncan says is true. You are free and safe here. Kit, I need you to be honest with me. I am not going to attempt to own you or return you or anything of kind. But I cant help you and keep you safe without knowing who I am fighting to protect you from."

Dapper Lunatic

User Image

Kit shook his head. "No, you don't understand... he can take it away, I've never had it to begin with. No one can take away your freedom because it's illegal to own human pets..." Kit looked miserable. "But I'm different... You all grew up with families... I grew up with an owner... a person who saw me only as a toy..." A heavy shiver went down his spine. "My owner is Lucas Donnovan... the heir to Gene Labs..." He clutched his hat tightly ignoring the gnawing knot in his stomach.
User ImageUser Image

"Lucas Donnovan? There are plenty of rumors floating around about him and his experiments, but that is all they are. None of them come up true. My main reason for not trusting him or lending him the loan he asked for." Darren ran a hand through his hair and began pacing. "He almost threatened me, but he knew not to anger me. I should have crushed him many years ago."

Mrs. Duncan was confused beyond words. She did all she thought she could. Hold Kit and try to keep him calm. "You said you grew up with a master, that you're not normal, and not human. If you aren't human than what are you?"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff