Welcome to Gaia! ::

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Kenley had watched as the young blonde exited the Tavern, smiled at him, and started off in a specific direction. He followed, of course, as any good little pup should. It was clear that whatever she was doing was still private and personal. The blonde didn't speak to him, not even to clue him in on where exactly they were headed. They wound through alleys and disgusting pathways. Eventually they came upon some old home. It was where they were supposed to be, and the only clue to this was Annalise's giddy excitement. But she didn't go in. She didn't even knock. She just looked at it for a few long minutes and then walked away.

His brow was furrowed at the strange behavior. Why would someone be so excited to find someone's home, and not go inside? Unless it wasn't the people who lived there, but the home itself that was interesting. The behavior was repeated two more times, the first time they entered some old building and the next they went to some filth-ridden orphanage. The children playing outside were proud to announce who they were, or what they were, and Kenley frowned at them, knowing that they'd likely all become murderers and thieves one day. Was a sad thing, really.

The next place they reached were a row of houses. Finally, he was privy to a conversation, as an older woman exited a home and began talking with Annalise. It seemed this was the home of Anna's grandparents. Her mother's childhood home. He looked up at the small thing and felt a bit guilty. He'd never lived in poverty, though this wasn't quite as impoverished as the orphanage, but it was still no where near what Kenley had lived through. He'd been living at court since he was a child. His father had been a lesser noble, and Kenley had taken an Oath as a guard. He still enjoyed a comfortable life, even as a working man.

It would seem Annalise was going to go inside the home, and Kenley gave a sigh and moved over towards the side of the house, leaning against it. “Aye, I know. Personal and private,” he commented quietly, “I'll be waiting for you.”

- - - -

This waiting was driving him mad. Alexander liked to think himself a patient man, but he was accustomed to getting what he wished in a reasonable fashion. He'd never had to wait long for much in his life. But this was.. well, there wasn't anything to be done about it. Annalise was out in the city, as he'd allowed her to do. This problem couldn't be solved until she returned. And what a problem it was.

His mother was the only one who knew, and she'd promised to keep quiet. Except for, he supposed, Marabella. She'd known what was in the letter, surely. At least, she knew the contents of the letter. Alexander still wasn't convinced that it wasn't entirely fiction. After all, Annalise hadn't known who he was when they'd met. Though she'd.. done a fairly good job of keeping him close. They'd read poetry together so often.. was that all part of the plan? That poem she'd written for him? What if it was all an elaborate ruse?

No, Annalise wouldn't have done that. She cared for him, he was confident of that. Either that, or she was a superb actress. Yesterday had been wonderful. That afternoon and evening were fond and wonderful moments in their relationship. Powerful moments. Those whispered words and shouted names were not made up, that was real. It didn't mean everything else was, he supposed. Though Annalise had been upfront and honest about who she was and who her parents had been. Why tell him something like that if it was the reason for her plans? Would that not clue him in to her intentions?

It was terrible. This feeling of dread that filled his chest. He'd found the woman he'd always longed for, and it could all be a sham.

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab The older woman's name was Margaret, and she had a damn good memory. She led Annalise through the narrow, two story row house and mapped out everything she could remember, which was a good deal. There was always a fire in the hearth when Lara was still alive, Anna's deceased stranger of a grandmother, and Ben always did his best to keep one going, but he was often too weak to chop any wood, and his children were too small for it for awhile. Once William was old enough to chop effectively, he took care of the home and his sister. The kitchen used to always smell of cinnamon or vanilla, and there had been a small kitchen table in the corner where meals had once taken place. Upstairs there were only two bedrooms, and the farthest one had been shared by Willowmina and William. Margaret could remember playing games with Willowmina when they were little girls in that room.

Annalise was so very thankful she ran into Margaret. It was one thing to see a family home from the outside, but to go inside and envisage the goings on of a time long past was ineffable. The house wasn't very big, so it wasn't long before Margaret led Annalise a few streets away to the row house Willowmina lived in by herself. Someone else lived there now, someone Margaret didn't know, so Annalise could only gaze upon the house from the outside. It was about the same as her grandfather's, the window boxes bursting with flowers again. Annalise wished she could go inside and see the room where her mother had spent her nights. What Anna didn't know was that her mother spent a lot of nights screwing brutes in that room too. Oliver being one of them. For one night, at least. It was also the room William hid out in when he was incognito, and it was the room where brother and sister were united. So much history, all of which Anna could never touch or see.

That was her last stop. After she'd finished gazing at it, she'd turned away and headed back for the castle. Little did she know, her warm and happy day was going to be snuffed out and destroyed upon her return. She would know a great betrayal, a heart wrenching lack of trust, and a whole cargo ship laden with unpleasant emotions. It was an invisible doom just waiting to jump down on her from a hidden spot in the sky and tear her to pieces in a matter of minutes. But she was happy, right now, and she felt closer to her history now that she'd gone on her little adventure. Kenley was a damper, though, and she rather disliked him. Sure, he was nice... ish, but he was grumpy and distant. Annalise would ask for someone else to accompany her from now on. Or... she'd just sneak out alone. She didn't need some sour guard trailing her.

Upon arriving at the castle, Annalise made her way to her chambers and closed the door behind her. Virginie and Lola were working on the navy and gold dress in the sitting room. Both women popped up and dipped curtsies ere giddily asking Anna about her day.

User Image__User Image_____________

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Alexander had been notified of Annalise's return to the palace grounds. The walk to her chambers felt long and foreboding. He was worried. As much as he wanted to trust in his heart to know that Annalise's intentions were pure, he his mind kept telling him that too many things were stacked against her. He'd fallen for her so easily.. and he was uncertain as to whether it was because she had intentionally planned it or not.

Kenley stood posted outside in the hall. He was slouched against the wall, arms crossed against his chest. His eyes were focused intently on the space across from him, and it was clear he was deep in thought. At the King's approach, he straightened up. “Your majesty, a word, if I may?” he said, apprehension in his voice. Clenching his jaw, Alex stopped and looked to the man, not saying a word. There wasn't much more of this that he could take. “The lady visited a tavern today.. in the slums. I know of this place.. a good deal of treasonous talk takes place there. City guard are not welcome in those areas. I tell you this because.. she bade me to stay outside while she went in to talk to someone.”

Alexander screwed his eyes shut at the news, pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. He should have been upset with Kenley for not following her inside, but she... surely had her reasons. Perhaps she knew the place would be dangerous for him if he'd been found out to be a palace guard, and she was trying to protect him. Or.. perhaps she knew that he would have to report any treasonous talk coming from her mouth. Either way, it wasn't Kenley's fault, and the news would have upset him if there weren't more... depressing thoughts plaguing his mind. “That's all right, Kenley. Thank you for telling me. I'll.. speak with her,” he finally answered, dropping his hand and looking up to the younger man. “You made the right decision.”

As the King went to pass him by and move into the room, Kenley reached out and took his elbow to stop him. “There's.. something else, though,” he said quietly. Alexander audibly groaned, not wanting any more bad news. “She.. did seek out her parents homes and places from their past. Though she didn't speak with me about such things..”

That was, surprisingly not as painful. Alexander reached out, placing a hand on Kenley's shoulder, and gave it a pat. “Thank you, Kenley. Stay out here, please. No matter what happens.” No, he didn't think that Annalise would hurt him, but in the event that she did.. he would much rather just suffer the pain and die, rather than deal with the hurt in his chest. Still, he held out hope.. that this was all a mistake.

Entering the room, he held himself tall and kept his expression stoic. It would not do to get emotional.. becoming angry or upset would make things worse. He wanted the truth, and the best way to get that was to stay calm and collected. Determined not to raise his voice, he cleared his throat, looking between the two handmaids, before issuing his command; “Out.” The girls curtseyed and then swiftly swept out of the room leaving the two lovers alone.

Letting out a breath, he lowered his eyes from her and moved to her lounge, sitting down. “I trust your trip was... productive?”

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab It wasn't long after Annalise settled down with her ladies that Alexander showed up. Annalise was happy to see him, seeing as she hadn't been with him all day. Unfortunately, there was something obviously out of sorts. Alexander looked different, acted cold. He ordered Virginie and Lola out, and Annalise felt her heart drop. Well, something was certainly wrong here. She couldn't imagine what, though. She'd parted with him in great spirits this morning, and since she'd been gone all day, it couldn't be anything regarding her. Was something going on with his council? Did something happen to Francesca? Was Alexander feeling all right? These questions floated around in her head as she studied her lover from her seat on a plush chair. Whatever was plaguing him was definitely something he wanted to get off his chest, and Annalise was glad he would come to her to confide.

Instead of getting to the point, he asked her about her trip. Maybe that's what he was worried about. Her. Maybe he just wanted clarification that everything went all right. "Yes, yes, it was very productive," Annalise replied with a smile. "I saw my grandmother's apothecary shop, my father's residence and orphanage, and my mother's and uncle's childhood home, as well as her own house where she lived before she was... exiled. I even met a woman who knew my mother when they were kids! She was my grandparents' neighbor, and she let me inside the house. Oh, it was wonderful! I would have never known exactly where to look if I hadn't gotten to speak to an older gentleman in a tavern my parents used to frequent. He was not a happy man to see me," she admitted with a slight roll of her eyes. "He thought I was my mother's ghost. Apparently, he knew my mother and father. He was helpful, though. I knew I'd find information there."

Sighing, Annalise reached over and gently rubbed Alexander's knee, offering him a loving little smile. "You're troubled. What's happened? I hope I don't have cause to worry further."

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Alexander could look at her, even as she so happily detailed the trip that she'd made into town. Visiting her grandmother's apothecary shop, her father's old home and the orphanage, her mother and uncle's childhood home, and her mother's home before she was exiled. Her trip sounded happy. Pleasant. To him, it seemed that her visit to that forsaken Tavern was only to find information on her family. Oh, god, how he wanted that to be true.

It was quiet now, and he hazarded a look to her. She smiled to him, and it only pained his heart a little more to see it. Annalise was able to pick up on his mood, apparently, able to see he was troubled. It was likely quite apparent, wasn't it? It wasn't as if he was trying to hide his feelings.

“Marabella is here,” he said, looking down to his hands as he clasped them together, “David sent her.. with a letter. He was concerned for my safety.. and...” Alexander trailed off quietly, not wanting to say another word. He wanted to go back to last night when they're played their little games and he'd not known anything about this. But it could all be lies, couldn't it? This could be the deception. David making something about Annalise in an attempt to get him to leave her. For what? To marry Marabella? No. No, he'd never marry anyone other than Annalise. If this wasn't meant to be, then he'd just..

Alexander licked his lips briefly before drawing his lower lip between his teeth a moment. “He didn't trust your intentions, so he sent someone to find out who you were. I'm... convinced the information was coerced.. but Smith told them your name. That you... had wanted to seduce me and become my mistress.. in order to manipulate me.” Saying it didn't make it any better. It hurt even more now that it was out in the open, and he was forced to acknowledge it. Hazarding a look at her, he furrowed his brow, his expression deeply pained. Taking the hand on his knee, he gripped it tightly in both of his hands. “I love you, Annalise... and I don't believe him. Tell me it's not true.. that what we have isn't some.. scheme of yours to seek revenge for your parents.”

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab As soon as Marabella's name was mentioned, Annalise tensed up. Why was that little leech here? Annalise didn't really hate much in the world, but she did hate Marabella. That Italian was always getting in her business somehow, and it actually didn't surprise Annalise that the foreigner had something to do with the problem here. Annalise could feel anger rising in her chest as she was informed of a letter delivered by that salacious duke. Well, of course this problem would arise from that sod and his Italian whore, or whoever Marabella was to David. Some family member or something? Not like that changed the fact Annalise thought Marabella was a whore. Sure, the woman said she'd never been intimate with her lover, but that didn't mean she kept her legs closed. She certainly came off as a woman who got her way through the means of her open legs.

So it would seem the Scottish court was doubting Annalise, putting ideas into Alexander's head. They were concerned for his safety. What would one little peasant do to the King? She had no weapons, no strength, no fishy vials of unmarked poisons, and she had no accomplices or friends. Oh... but it wasn't exactly Alexander's life that was in danger, but his heart and mind. Smith betrayed her trust, and Annalise felt her blood run cold. For a good long minute she was furious at the betrayal, but she had to keep in mind Smith was likely tortured. It infuriated Annalise that anyone would do that to him. Let alone, for information nobody had grounds to seek out! She'd never been a threat!

Furiously, Annalise jerked her hand away from Alexander and flew out of her chair like some bat out of Hell. She paced for only a second before turning on her "lover." He said he didn't believe what was told to him, but he obviously put some credence into it if he was this upset by it. If he had to ask her if it was true, then he believed it part way, at least.

"See, this is why I think royals are monsters!" she yelled. "Your stupid little friends in Scotland didn't trust me because I was poor and had no right to love you! They had no reason to suspect me of anything! I was holed up in a damned bed with broken ribs for a month! What was I doing!?" she laughed bitterly. "Oh, right, I was putting your life at risk! I was planning for all of England to go into chaos! And so they went and likely tortured Smith! He is an innocent, good man! I think I'm the most furious about him than I am about what's said against me! They had no right to lay a finger on him!" she shrieked, her fists clenched. "I hate them all. And Marabella is, of course, involved in this. She should just die," she seethed, pacing over to the window and gripping the sill.

Annalise calculated her breathing for a minute before she turned around and looked at Alexander with cold, angry eyes. "I didn't like you at the beginning of all this, as you well know. And you know what? Yes, I did have a plan to get close to you and manipulate you, and I did share that with Smith. But here's the funny thing, Alex: it had nothing to do with what happened to my parents. The man who wronged them is dead, and it's settled. I had hoped to hold a position over your heart and mind so that I could do a bit of good for the wretched people like me. We're all ignored, you know? We get no recognition from the crown. We don't even exist to you and everyone else. You don't even see the rats your people in London have to dwell with. Nobody cares about them, about the poor and suffering. They're living conditions are horrendous, and their children are no more than skeletons! I was hoping to gain a little power to try and sprinkle a bit of mercy upon those who actually need it, instead of putting money into the pockets of my noble lords!"

Moving away from the window, Annalise strode to the archway that led out to where her bed was. She stopped at it, though, turned around, and "tch"ed. "But that was all in the beginning. I gave that plan up when I realized I was falling in love with you. I no longer wanted to do anything underhanded to you. I cared too much for your feelings to deceive you. None of this between us has been a lie. I love you, but right now... I don't like you. You clearly don't trust me, and you'd rather believe the words of your precious royals, who, as you recall, tortured Smith without any real reason besides prejudice. I'm done talking to you," she subjoined.

Annalise didn't wait for any rebuttal, any pleading. She wasn't in the mood for any of it. She stormed out of her room and moved swiftly down the corridor. Fresh air. She needed fresh air.

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

The key point in all of this, Alexander supposed, was that she had a plan to do these things. That it wasn't something currently active. Annalise said she loved him, that she'd abandoned her attempts to make him fall in love with her, because she was falling in love with him. That she hadn't wanted to deceive him because she'd cared too much. Some would look at that and say that she'd still acted on her plan. That she'd still tried to put it into play. It had worked, he supposed, Alexander would have done anything she asked. Feed and clothe the poor. Offer up money. Cut taxes. Whatever Annalise wanted. She would have still gotten what she'd intended, only she wouldn't be lying to do so.

It would have been easy for anyone to find the negative in all of this, but Alexander was unsure of how to really feel. Relieved that Annalise truly loved him. But saddened and a bit betrayed that the beginning of his feelings for her had been.. concocted. No, he still felt for her the way he did, that wasn't pretend. Their love for one another was real.

Then Annalise said she didn't like him, that he didn't trust her and that she was finished talking with him. Then, she stormed out of the room. He was up in a heartbeat, hurrying after her, “Anna!” he called out, “Anna, stop!”

Of course, Kenley had been at the door. While he'd been instructed not to go inside of the room, but his duty was still to keep Annalise safe, so as she burst from the room, he hurried behind her, only trailing a few steps. It likely would have frustrated Annalise to have him follow her, but Kenley wasn't going to stop just because she instructed him to.

He did, however, stop when Alexander ran past, shoving him to the side so roughly that he slammed against the wall. The King caught up to his lover and grabbed her arm tightly, pulling her towards him, “Anna, no, listen, I love you. With all my soul, I love you. Don't you see? This is what he wants! He wants to drive you and I apart. Annalise, please, stop running from your problems.”

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab Annalise was half tempted to break into a sprint and escape Alexander's clutches, but before she could fully decide if that's what she wanted to do, he had her arm. Alexander yanked her around and pulled her near, holding her where he wanted her. Annalise struggled, of course, and she even ventured to beat him in the chest with her fists, but she wasn't very strong. She didn't want to hear him say he loved her. She didn't want to talk to him at all. Her emotional state was volatile, right now, and she wasn't sure what she needed to feel. Angry, betrayed, hurt? They were all fighting for dominance in her mind, but they couldn't decide who was more appropriate. Annalise hated royalty for all they did. And didn't do. She wanted to believe Alexander wasn't like all the others, but he probably was. He probably had innocent men tortured, and he didn't do much for the community right outside his own walls. But she couldn't hate him. She was already in love with him.

Alexander said David wanted to push them apart, and Annalise stopped her struggling, deciding to grip Alexander's tunic in her fists instead. This was all Marabella's fault. That Italian sow wanted to get her snout into England's business, wanted to be in power. She thought marrying Alexander was her right, but it wasn't. And because she couldn't have her way, she plotted all of this with her big brown eyes. Oh, any man would obey her, listen to her, believe her. Marabella didn't like Annalise because Annalise snubbed her and had Alex. That's how it was in this world, and Annalise didn't want any of it. This was why she wanted to run off to a convent and be sheltered from her love under oath. Running from her problems was all she ever did, and she kind of liked it that way.

"Why did I have to love you?" she finally seethed, releasing his tunic with a light shove. "Your world is hateful and corrupt. It's so much simpler out there," she said, pointing towards a window. "There's not much power to fight for... and there's freedom."

Annalise backed up a few steps before turning and walking away. Sure, there were crimes committed outside of the royal world, and there were similar situations of jealously, but it wasn't a constant presence in the average man's life. Annalise had been, for the most part, free. The situation with Theodore was the only oppression she suffered. In this castle, she was a prisoner. She was a target. She was everything she never wanted to be. All for love. Love didn't prove to be enough last time she was in it, so why would it be enough this time? Love was a villainous warden.

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

Alexander watched her as she gripped his tunic in her tiny fists. She was furious with him. Hated him, maybe. He didn't know. She was hurt, perhaps crushed by his doubt. He'd not truly doubted her, but he'd not been sure what to believe. They said that Annalise had been playing him for a fool, and how was he to know? It was possible he had been blind to the entire plot, because he was too in love with her to see any faults. His mother warned him that the spawn of Oliver Lockeday and Willowmina Rothemburg would have had every reason to see him dead, and it made sense. After all, Annalise hated nobles because of what Victor had done, why wouldn't she seek revenge?

But she hadn't. She'd just wanted to help others. Help the helpless. Becoming his mistress or his Queen put her in a prime position to help the people. Should would have been great in a role such as that. Hell, Alexander was willing to look past all of it, even if she had been fooling him the entire time (which she hadn't, of course, but if she had..). He would have married her anyway. It didn't matter if she'd been playing him for a fool, he loved her. Cherished her.

But then she shoved him away, spouting off that this world was corrupt. It sounded as if she didn't want to risk anything to be with him any more. Especially seeing as she'd used the past tense. Why did she have to love him? Not do. Did that mean she didn't anymore? No. He couldn't use one word to determine whether or not she still held affection for him.

Annalise turned and walked away again, “Anna,” he said to her back, “Anna please.”

Why was she mad at him? What had he done wrong? This wasn't fair. Not at all. Instead of chasing her, he simply stood there, his heart somewhere in the pit of his stomach, corroding away. Why couldn't things just be easy? Why did it have to be like this?

Kenley hurried past Alexander in order to follow after Annalise, staying a few comfortable paces behind her. He didn't even glance over his shoulder to see whether or not the King wanted him to bother. Why? Because people said and did things all the time that they didn't mean. Emotions ran high or low. But it was Kenley's job to keep Annalise safe, regardless of whether or not she wanted it. He wouldn't interrupt her if she wanted peace and quiet, but he wasn't going anywhere. He'd been right outside the door when she and the King made love.. there was hardly any privacy.

Alexander let the two disappear from sight before he lost it. He wanted to throw something, just to see something break. But there was nothing within reach that he could destroy. A tapestry, he supposed, but he'd have to burn it down. Storming down the hall in the opposite direction, he found Cynefrid sitting in the hall, “Get my horse saddled,” Alexander demanded, “I'm leaving.”

“Yes, your majesty,” Cynefrid answered, quickly standing, “To where?”

Alexander paused and shot him an angry glare, “It's none of your concern. Do as I've told you.” The King continued on his path through the Palace, knowing precisely where to go. Exactly who he could take his anger out. Who deserved it. Shoving his way through the door, it swung and struck the wall with a loud bang. The ladies sitting inside the room gasped loudly at the noise, all of them turning to see the King march through. All of them seemed uncertain as to what was going on, but one seemed afraid. Marabella. She quickly stood to her feet and looked to the King with wide eyes. In a very terrified Italian voice, she started to speak, but Alexander had his hands around her throat, squeezing tightly. “You think you've won? I have sad news for you, Marabella. You aren't in Scotland anymore. Your cousin can't keep you safe, here. That's your undoing.”

The raven-haired woman let out a startled gasp and attempted to claw at the man's hands. He was hurting her, for certain. Perhaps not enough to cause permanent damage, but it was scaring her just the same. “You- you cannot k-kill me- I did n-nothing wrong,” she begged.

“I'm not going to kill you,” Alexander hissed through his teeth, “I'm going to do what you wanted. I'm going to find you a husband. A good noble husband. But you aren't going to like him.. that much I promise you. I'll make sure the rest of your life is utterly miserable.” Finally, he released his grip on the young woman, who clutched at her neck and caught her breath, looking up to the King with confusion. No, Alexander hadn't meant himself, of course, but he knew someone who would be the perfect candidate.

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab Annalise found her way to an inner courtyard where a small fountain bubbled and small trees occupied all four corners. She breathed in the fresh air in a few gulps, letting it out in a long sigh. It helped to clear her head, but once she heard footsteps behind her she snapped again. Whirling around to see who it was, Annalise let out a groan of frustration. She was really starting to hate Kenley. In fact, she was starting to hate a lot of things lately. She'd never hated much in the past, but her hatred was accruing every minute she was in this place. She hated Marabella, she hated Kenley, she hated nobility. Marabella was a rat who didn't know her place; Kenley couldn't leave Annalise alone for a second to her own thoughts; and nobility, well, there were plenty of reasons to hate them, Smith being number one. She loved that man very much, and he'd been tortured because of Marabella and David. Was he even still alive?

Annalise marched up to Kenley and quickly slapped him across the face. "I'm sick of you following me, you b*****d! I was born free, and don't you think for one second I'll submit to the shackles of this world! I don't care if Alex wants you to shadow me, I don't!" she shouted. "I have the right to privacy, and you will respect it," she hissed, giving him a shove. "If you don't," she paused to stare at him in silence, keeping his eyes locked on hers. Then, suddenly, she rammed her knee into his groin. "I'll dish out more of that. You stay the hell away from me."

Not wasting any time, Annalise sprinted off and disappeared up a flight of tunneled stairs. She didn't break speed, and so she tripped over her feet a few times, but she managed not to fall. Yanking open the door at the top, she dashed inside and ran towards the general direction of the front courtyard. She kind of knew her way around the castle, but she wasn't quite sure which way she was going, due to her anger. By now, she'd left Kenley in the dust to nurse his groin, and so she jogged to a stop to catch her breath. Her chest ached from the strain on her lungs, and she bent over her knees to try and breathe. Finally. Some privacy.

Or not.

The sound of heavy footsteps reached Annalise's ears, and she jolted up, prepared to dart off again. She looked around herself with wide eyes, and when the source of the sound appeared, she was relieved to find it was just a richly dressed fellow who looked to be on route to somewhere. He turned in her direction, but when he spotted her, he froze. His eyes cascaded down her body, and he narrowed his eyes in confusion. Annalise looked down, and she found she was still in her old clothes, making her appear common.

"Who are you?" the man asked in a French accent, but not quite unkindly. Just concerned. "Might I help you in some way? Are you... lost?"

"No... no, I mean, I'm a little..." Annalise waved her hand around her, glancing around still breathless, "turned around. I'm... I'm Annalise Forney," she got out, placing a hand to her stomach.

"Ah!" he breathed, recognition lighting on his face. "Right! You're Alexander's woman. Heard a lot about you."

"I've been here two days. Can't imagine it's anything good."

"Not really," the man chuckled. "You have no rank, no merits, and you're altogether country. But," he said, holding up a finger, "Virginie and Lola tell me you're a diamond in the rough. Beautiful, clearly; intelligent, kind, charming, steadfast, and all around a perfect candidate for a queen. So, milady," he said with a grin, bowing with a flourish, "Franco Dubois at your service."

Annalise watched Franco straighten up before she gave him a tremulous smile and a bob of a curtsey. "And how should I address you?" she asked.

"It would be only right for you to refer to me as 'Your Excellency.' I'm the French Ambassador," he replied.

"Oh..." Annalise said meekly, suddenly reverting into her shell.

"I also heard you were a little shy. Come, come," Franco urged gently, motioning her over with his hand, "I'll help you to be... un-lost."

Annalise stepped over to him and allowed him to take her arm. "How do you know my ladies?"

"I see them frequently around the castle. A man must always make himself known to fetching young ladies. I rather like those two. They're very sweet. Now, where am I returning you?"

"Uhm... well, I was... actually trying to get away," Annalise admitted.

"Ma, non! From what do you run, milady?"

"Everyone. Everything. I just waned to be alone for awhile."

"And then you run into a Frenchmen who squashes that like a bug. C'est terrible."

"No," Annalise chuckled. "I'm rather glad I ran into you, ah... your excellency."

"I share this opinion, mademoiselle."

Annalise felt comfortable around this Franco Dubois. He was much, much older than her, probably in his forties, and he had kind eyes. He was gentle and laidback, and Annalise hoped she would have more opportunities to enjoy his presence and discourse. It was funny how she took comfort in men who were old enough to be her father. First Smith, and now Franco. Maybe it was because men of age had an air of security about them. They were truly matured adults who knew how to take care of everything. They were not young men battling for attention. Annalise felt safe with someone who she was not in danger of being chased, someone who had answers and experience. Annalise had always hid under her father's arm when she was little, always clung to him when she was afraid, always sprawled over him whenever she crawled into bed with her parents, and he was her favorite. So, maybe she just saw these older gentleman as safe places, just as she'd seen her father.

Franco eventually stopped in front of a large door and stepped away from Anna to bend down and kiss her hand. With a gentle smile, he opened the door for her and gave a small bow. "I find the library is the best place to be alone, milady," he said.

"Oh... yes, thank you, your excellency," Annalise said happily, slipping into the cavernous room.

"Of course. I must bid you good day, milady, but you will see me again," Franco assured, winking. "À bientôt."

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

Alexander gripped the stone railing of the balcony, over looking the garden below him. He was angry. At himself, at Annalise, but mostly at the circumstance he seemed to find himself in. Why could he not simply be happy and content? Why did thing constantly have to get in the way of that? It was frustrating. Absolutely frustrating.

“Your majesty,” A voice said from behind him, moving up stand beside him with a faint smile, “Your horse is ready.” Alex let out a sigh, not bothering to look over at Cynefrid. He shifted his weight from one foot to the other, but he kept his gaze out on the garden. “Is there anything I can do?” he asked.

“No, Cynefrid, no there's... nothing you can do,” Alexander responded with a frown, “I feel lost. Nothing makes sense any more. My life used to make sense. I knew what I was doing.. where I was going.. what path I needed to take. I was going to Edinburgh to marry whatever woman I wanted. Bring her home and put a child in her belly. Go on with my life. But now..? I love Annalise.. more than anything. All I can ever think about is her. Sometimes I wish I wasn't the King so we could be together.. happy. It would be better that way. There wouldn't be anyone to please but her. No one would stand in our way. If she rebukes me... I don't think I could ever have another woman. Not now.” Glancing over at Cynefrid he forced a smile, clamping his hand down on the blonde's shoulder. “This isn't your fault. And I'm sorry that I've been.. distant with you.”

“You don't have to apologize, your majesty, I understand,” Cynefrid answered with a warm smile. “If there's ever anything I can do to help, you'll let me know?”

The King gave him a nod, “Right now, I could just use a friend. I seem to have a grave shortage of friends. I need someone to go to Edinburgh and fetch this Smith fellow.. find out if he's better. Bring him back here.. make sure the rest of his life is comfortable. He'd been through hell and it's my fault. I want to make that right.”

The sound of hurried footsteps approached and Kenley stopped short of colliding with the two men. He doubled over, attempting to catch his breath and talk at the same time, “Your majesty, I- I'm sorry. I lost her. She kicked me in the- ah, in my- well, I collapsed from the pain. And she ran off. I tried to find her but I-”

“She-” Alexander screwed his face up in anger and resisted the urge to kick Kenley in his sensitive regions again. “Did she leave the Palace?!” he demanded.

“I doubt so, your majesty, she would have had to leave through the gates. I-”

Alexander looked down to the gardens and scowled, she wasn't hiding down there, or he would have seen her. “She's likely in the library,” he commented with a certain nod. When Kenley didn't immediately take off in that direction, the King whirled around, “Well? Go do your job, man.” Kenley gave a bow to acknowledge and turned in order to start running again. Then, Alex changed his mind suddenly, “No, wait. Wait..” he said, “She'll.. she'll want some time alone. Just.. leave her be for now. Let her calm down, first and then.. stand outside the door.” Kenley nodded and walked, grateful that he didn't have to run, this time.

“I'm going hunting for a while,” Alexander announced, “It will take my mind off of things..”

Cynefrid watched as the King turned away, and he found himself frowning deeply. Alexander seemed so terribly troubled. It was all Annalise's fault. Ever since she'd come into their lives, things had been turned upside down. Cynefrid used to be the King's right hand man, and now.. he was no one. He couldn't even call himself friends with Alexander any more. That stupid woman had ruined everything.

And then it clicked. Somehow, it all made sense. If Annalise was gone, then Alexander wouldn't be burdened anymore. Clearly running her off with scandal hadn't worked. More... drastic measures would need to be taken, it seemed. Permanent solutions.

Before he even realized what he was doing, he found himself at the entrance to the library. Kenley was standing outside like a good little soldier, and he smiled at the King's companion. “His majesty is worried sick.. I'm just going to retrieve a volume from the shelf.. verify she's in there is all. I'll come out and let you know so we can ease his mind.” Kenley seemed satisfied with that answer, of course, so Cynefrid slipped through the door, closing it firmly behind him.

Annalise was likely somewhere in the rows of shelving, but that didn't matter. Cynefrid was trained in combat, he had to be in order to defend his majesty against attacks. This girl may have been swift, but she was no fighter. And she certainly wasn't going to be able to defend herself against Cynefrid. Especially if she didn't suspect any attack. Right?

Alexander had started towards the stable, only to change his mind. Again. How could he leave Annalise to stew in her anger? She'd had time to cool off by now, right? He didn't want to go spend the rest of the day in the woods, hunting some innocent creature, when he wanted to be in the arms of his lover comforting her doubts about their relationship. And so, it was, that he changed directions again, and headed towards the library. Clearly, he couldn't leave well enough alone.

The library was quiet, and for a brief minute, Cynefrid worried that she wasn't actually inside. But then, he spotted her. Flipping through the pages of some novel. He rounded the corner and approached her. As soon as he came into her peripherals, she let out a small gasp of surprise at seeing someone. “It's all right,” he told her with a smile, approaching her as he reached for his belt in order to withdraw the dagger he kept sheathed there, “I was just checking on you. Making sure you were still here.”

Shaking his head, Alexander approached the library, smiling when he spotted Kenley standing guard outside the door. “Thank you, Kenley. Is she inside?”

Kenley gave a small shrug, “I'm not sure, your Majesty, Cynefrid hasn't come out to tell me yet.”

Alexander groaned in irritation, “He's going to make matters worse for me if he's trying to talk her. I'll.. I'll go get him, thank you.” Patting the man on the shoulder, he moved into the library. “Cynefrid,” Alexander called, scowling angrily, “Cynefrid, I-” he froze, for what he saw froze his blood cold. Annalise stood backed against a book shelf, and Cynefrid was poised to stab her with a blade. He swallowed. “Cynefrid.. what are you doing?” he asked, his voice deliberately calm and collected.

“I'm.. I'm trying to fix this,” he said, not taking his eyes off of Annalise, “Ever since you met her.. she's been nothing but trouble. She's.. distracting you from what's important. Taking you away from me..”

“No, no,” Alexander said quietly, taking a tentative step closer. He didn't want to spoke the man into making a hasty move. “Annalise isn't the problem, Cynefrid. It's me. You don't want to do this, really. This isn't you.”

“I don't know why she's so important to you,” Cynefrid said, clenching his jaw, “You've only known her two months. I've been here my entire life. I- I deserve to be more important. It's not fair.”

“No, you're right, Cynefrid, you're right. You deserve to be more important than her. Put the blade down.. and I'll put things right. If you hurt her, I'll never forgive you. Then where would our friendship be?” Alexander took a few more steps closer, but Cynefrid looked over at him making the monarch stop in his tracks. He raised his hands up in mock surrender, “It's just me, Cynefrid. Put the blade down. Think about what you're doing. How is this helping anything?”

“Because she's no good for you! Because you're the only one who can't seem to see her for what she is! Nothing. Worthless garbage.”

Alexander frowned, “You're wrong, Cynefrid. If you really knew me, you would see that. I don't understand why I'm the only one who can see her for what she is. Beautiful, talented, intelligent, loving. Kind hearted and gentle.” Stepping closer, he smiled, “But we can fix this, all right? Just put the blade down.”

“Stop! Just stop!” Cynefrid yelled loudly, his eyes filling with angry tears. Hearing him talk so kindly about Annalise was likely not the best choice. “Damnit, Alex! I love you, and you don't even care any longer! You just.. toss me aside when she comes along! As if I was nothing! When she's gone, you can think clearly! I promise! Now she's-” the door to the library was flung open, as clearly Kenley was alerted that whatever was going on inside was not quite right. Alexander took the moment that Cynefrid was distracted to jump forward and take hold of the man's wrist. Only, well, he didn't quite make it to his arm. He just grabbed out in an attempt to prevent harm to Annalise, grabbing at the blade itself. But the damage was done, and he wasn't concerned with any pain, the adrenaline flowing through him.

Briefly, Cynefrid wrestled for the blade, but realizing he was only hurting Alexander, he released it. Alexander responded by swinging a fist towards the man's face, briefly stunning him. At least long enough for Kenley to appear, his own weapon drawn. By now, however, the threat was neutralized, and the realization of what he'd done registered on Cynefrid's face. “Alex, please,” he said quietly.

“Get him out of here,” Alexander ordered to Kenley, who quickly nodded and grabbed the blonde man's arm roughly. Turning to Annalise, he grabbed at her shoulders, looking into her face, breathing relief, “God, I'm sorry Anna. I'm so sorry. I- You're all right?” Of course she was, she wasn't injured.

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab The library was mostly empty. It was so large that she was sure there were others inside somewhere, but it was so quiet that she felt she finally had the privacy she wanted. She could have swore she heard the rustle of pages or feet on the other side of the library, but nobody was bothering her, so she wasn't going to go look for a reason to be bothered. Instead, she set her mind to looking for a book to lose herself in. Escapism. That's what she needed, right now. And she was going to find it in a book of poems for children. Oh, she wasn't a child, but sometimes the juvenile poetry was more fantastical and sweet, or threatening and thrilling. Some came with illustrations, and Annalise spent time analyzing the art. It made her think of her mother. She kind of missed her mother...

Someone rounded the shelf, giving Annalise reason to panic. She was a little jumpy, at it was no wonder why. Today wasn't exactly a good day. It was only Cynefrid, though, and Annalise frowned at his presence. She hated him too. Hell, she hated everyone here, except for her ladies and Franco Dubois. Annalise had reason to hate Cynefrid, and that reason was only expounded upon by his sudden shift in explanation as to why he was in the library. No, he wasn't there to check on her. He was there to kill her. That much was obvious by the blade he directed at her, forcing her back against the shelf with the book clutched in front of her in some pathetic attempt of shielding herself. She wanted to scream, but nobody would get to her fast enough. If she tried to run, Cynefrid would only tackle her. Oh, lord. Oh, sweet lord, she was going to die. Just as she feared. And she wasn't even married to Alex yet.

Then, out of no where, Alexander appeared and began to try and talk Cynefrid out of the crime. Annalise was hardly paying attention to what was being said. She was trying to control her breathing, trying to focus on not dying. There were tears on her cheeks, tears she hadn't realized fell. She was trembling, and her heartbeat pounded in her ears. Everything around her faded out, and all she could hear was her own breathing and her own heartbeat. Sure, she caught bits and pieces of words, such as Cynefrid claiming to love Alexander, claiming getting rid of Annalise would fix everything. None of it really registered, however, and Annalise was beginning to feel faint.

Ere she knew it, Alexander was grabbing her shoulders. As if woken from some horrible dream, Annalise dropped the book on the floor with a loud, echoing thud, and she emitted a short scream, pushing Alexander away from her. Her eyes were bugged, and her chest was rapidly rising and falling in something akin to hyperventilation. There was blood on her shoulder from Alexander's injured hand, and her jaw fell a little slack as she looked upon the oozing palm. Shaking her head, she pointed a quaking finger at him. In her peripherals, she could see Kenley dragging Cynefrid off.

"Don't touch me," she breathed. "He tried to kill me... he tried to kill me," she repeated, backing away from Alexander. "I can't do this... I won't do this... I knew this would..." she was talking more to herself, and maybe she appeared a little disoriented, but she was in perfect understanding. She was almost the victim of murder after only two days at court, and she was not going to put herself in that line of fire again. Not only that, but that damned Kenley was following her again after she told him to leave her alone. She didn't have any privacy in this place, and no matter what Alexander said, he was keeping her captive. She couldn't go on like this. For the first time... she wanted to go home.

Annalise quickly darted from the library to free herself of the horrific scene, and unlike before, she had no problem finding her way to where she wanted to go. Her chambers. She barreled into them, slamming the door behind her and pressing herself against it. Virginie and Lola shrieked in alarm at the sight of blood on their mistress, and they came to her rescue, supporting her fragile weight in their capable arms. Annalise was muttering something about locking the door, and she wouldn't cooperate with either of them until it was locked. Virginie locked the door, though apprehensively. But now wasn't the time to wonder. Annalise needed tending to, and she needed tending to now.

Annalise made sure nobody was permitted entry to her chambers for the rest of the day. Virginie and Lola had discarded the old dress and wiped Annalise down with cool rose water. They let her hide in the middle of her bed in nothing but her chemise for the entire evening, and when it came time to eat, Annalise refused everything. She wouldn't leave her bed, and when the fire was lit along with the candles, curtains drawn over the black night, she seemed to emerge from her shocked state into one of wretchedness. She took to sobbing and gasping, pleading for release to Virginie and Lola. The two ladies were lounging upon the bed with their mistress, doing their best to cradle and soothe her. It worked for minutes at a time, but Annalise always wrestled free and curled into a fetal position at the end of the bed, away from any hands.

Currently, Annalise was sitting up in the middle of the bed, frantic and alert. Her eyes were trained on the door to the room, and she began to point at it, anger beginning to twist her features. "He's out there!" she shouted. "I know he is! I hate him!"

"Who, milady?" Virginie asked, carefully approaching Annalise by crawling at a turtle's pace across the bed. "Who frightens you?"

"I'm not frightened of him," Annalise snapped. "That b*****d Kenley. Always invading my privacy. I don't want him outside my door! I don't want him there, do you hear me!?" she shrieked.

Virginie nodded and cautiously reached her arms out to touch Annalise's shoulders. Annalise jumped, but she didn't lash out this time. Virginie brought Annalise close to her breast, much like a mother would cradle her child. Lola slid off the bed, meanwhile, and went to the door with the key. Unlocking it, she slipped outside to see if Kenley was actually there. If he was, she'd see if she could convince him to leave.

"He tried to kill me," Annalise cried into Virginie's neck. "I told him it would happen. I don't want to be here anymore... I don't want to marry him," Annalise bawled. "I want to go home, Virginie."

"Shh," Virginie shushed, stroking the blonde's hair. "Who tried to kill you, darling? Surely, not the King." Virginie was confused, seeing as Annalise wasn't using specific names.

"No, not Alex... no, it was Cynefrid," Annalise hiccuped. "Virginie, please," Annalise begged, lifting her head to look at the older woman with red and swollen eyes, "take me home."

Annalise rolled away from Virginie and curled up again, her small body shaking like a frightened animal. Virginie couldn't make any such arrangements or promises, so she just laid down behind Annalise and hugged her close like she did to her little boy when he was scared. She began to hum a quiet melody, her free hand playing with wisps of Annalise's hair. And Annalise, for the first time in a long time... just wanted her papa.

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

Alexander was distraught. Annalise refused to let anyone in the room to see her, or speak with her. Not even himself. Dinner had come and gone, and still she refused. Night had come, and Alexander didn't know what to do. What was he supposed to do?

The logical choice would be to.. allow her to do as she pleased. If she wanted to leave, then he should let her leave. If she wanted to stay, then she could stay. Annalise had warned him that she was going to be killed, and he hadn't believed her. But the attempt had not been made because of any threat that Annalise presented to the country or other nobility, but because of Cynefrid's own delusional ideas of loyalty and love. Alexander couldn't even try to explain it to her. She'd locked herself away. Running.. always running away.

The King sat as his table, alone. That's how he felt at the moment. Alone. The only friend he'd ever considered himself to have was Cynefrid, and he was a mad man. He would likely be executed in a day's time. Annalise was the only other person he'd confided in, and she refused to see him. What was there left for him? Nothing. For someone who supposedly had all the power in the world, he was incredibly lonely.

His fingers clutched at his hair as he held his head in his hands, though the action immediately caused him pain. Releasing his head, he looked down at his hands. His right hand had been bandaged in thick cloth, but even still he could see the faint tint of red. It had bled badly. The court physicians had seen to him, making sure that he was fine. They'd instructed him to put food in his belly to help him heal, but he wasn't hungry. How could he eat?

Alexander had sent a handful of men, along with Kenley, out to Edinburgh. It was important to him to see that Smith was helped. That the man's fate was learned. It's what Annalise would have wanted, for sure.

Kenley was not outside of Annalise's room, but his position had been taken up by some other guard. At Lola's instruction, the man was dismissed, and Alexander was notified of the change. He would have been upset, but he wasn't. Of course she didn't want anyone around.. she didn't trust anyone. But she'd been right.. someone had tried to kill her. Why wouldn't she want protection from that? She couldn't have freedom and safety.

Alexander was greedy. He wanted her to himself. Wanted to keep her here with him. Protect her from harm. If she'd only let Kenley do what he needed to do, none of this would have happened. But no, she was stubborn and wild. Refusing to listen to his advice. But this was all Alexander's fault because he'd been selfish. He couldn't keep her, she wasn't some pet. She was a free spirit. For her own safety, he had to let her go.

There was a knock on Annalise's door, it was locked. Of course it was. “Anna,” he called through the door, the pain evident in his voice. This wasn't a physical pain, this was a heartbreak. “Anna, please, let me in. I need to see you..” He clenched his jaw and grimaced, letting his forehead fall against the cool wood of her door. “I'm sorry. I thought.. I thought I could protect you. I thought I would be able to keep you safe. To keep you.. for myself. It was selfish and wrong and I... God knows it will kill me to live without you.. but I love you more than my own life. I don't want to see you harmed. I wish I wasn't the King, Anna.. I wish it was just me.. just Alex... like it was before you knew. I wish..” He sighed and straightened up again, “I wish you would let me in, please.”

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab Virginie had succeeded in calming Annalise down enough that things grew quiet. It was in her nature, for she was a mother, and the small girl inside Annalise who was scared stiff responded to that warmth. It wasn't what Annalise wanted, though. Annalise wanted her father. She didn't care if she was twenty-three years old, she still needed him. Oliver was like her fortress, and he'd always been that way to her. She loved him best of all, and she'd never strayed from being a daddy's girl. Oh, yes, she loved her mother more than words could express, and there were countless times when she wanted Willowmina instead of Oliver, but it was usually Oliver who she ran to when she needed comfort. Right now, she just wanted to curl herself up in his warm chest and feel his strong and protective arms around her again. She'd told him she hated him, but she didn't mean it. She loved him so very much.

The knock on the door filled Virginie and Lola with dread. Things were settled down, now, and someone trying to get in was just going to rile Annalise up again, making all their work null and void. And just what they feared, Annalise popped up and tore away from Virginie's arms, staring at the door with wild eyes and a panicked breath. Fortunately, it was was the King, and both ladies hoped his presence would not be so feared by their mistress. After all, Annalise was in love with him, was she not? Though, she'd told Virginie she didn't want to marry Alex anymore. Virginie had to think it wasn't because Anna didn't love him, but because she was afraid of being trapped in this castle in a life that made her white with fear. The lack of privacy was another big issue for Annalise, Virginie noticed.

Virginie and Lola stayed silent as Alexander pleaded through the door. Both of them felt sympathy for his majesty, for they knew he was only doing everything he could to keep his lover safe with him. But it was true; this life was wrought with danger, and nobody should be forced into it if they could not handle it. Still, it would be a great heartbreak to Alexander, and they were not dim enough to think the heartbreak wouldn't touch Anna. Right now, nothing touched Anna but fear, and she wasn't interested in love, only her safety. But she didn't feel safe with Kenley or with any of those spying guards. She felt all right with her ladies, and she wouldn't mind sitting quietly with the French Ambassador. She didn't know him well enough for that.

"Milady, you ought to let him in," Virginie said gently, tucking Annalise's hair behind a delicate ear. "He pleads with you. He loves you. I promise he won't hurt you. I'll stay near, I swear. Just let him talk to you, hm? Maybe you can work out a solution to your problems. May Lola open the door, milady?"

Annalise hesitated, but she gave a little nod, scooting closer to Virginie and sneaking her hand into the older woman's. Virginie gave Annalise's fingers a gentle squeeze, and Lola carefully unlocked the door, pulling it open. Lola dropped into a curtsey, and Virginie could only give a humble bow of her head. Annalise clenched her jaw as she looked upon Alex. It was clear he was hurt deeper than skin, and Annalise figured she might have treated him wrongly. He'd done nothing but try and protect her, but he cost her her freedom by doing so. She was torn on whether to blame him for her woes or seek comfort in his arms. Maybe both. What she did know, however, was that she loved him. That wasn't going to change.

Annalise took her hand from Virginie's and muttered something to the woman. With a nod, Virginie climbed off the bed, dipped a curtsey, and then retreated into the sitting room with Lola in tow. They were close by, and Anna could retreat to them if she wanted to, but she slid off the bed and sniffed, fiddling with the fabric of her chemise. All she did was stand there in silence, her small form plagued by signs of her distress and fear. She didn't lift her eyes to Alexander's face, but she did step closer to him. Then, in her continued silence, she walked into his chest and wrapped him up in her arms.

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

Alexander could feel movement on the other side of the door, and he took a small step to the side. Normally, he would have taken a moment to straighten out his appearance, but he didn't. Annalise would understand why he appeared as distraught and disheveled as he did. When it was unlocked and opened, he had expected to see Annalise standing in the small space between the door and frame. But it wasn't. This blonde woman who was her maid. Was Anna even awake to hear what he'd said? Had he wasted his time in coming here?

The door opened further and Lola stepped to the side with a curtsey. When Alex stepped into the room, he saw his lover, and he clamped his jaw shut tightly, grinding his teeth in frustration. She had been distraught, clearly. Her eyes and face was red and puffy, and he hated to see her like this. Hated that he was somehow responsible for what had happened. But what could he have done to change this?

The door was closed and locked behind him by the blonde woman again, and Alexander felt the tension in the air. Annalise was saying something to the other woman, and then the two maids walked away to the sitting room, leaving just Alex and Anna alone. It wasn't entirely private though, he knew, the two women would likely be able to hear anything that was said, but he didn't care too much about that. What was privacy to him? He rarely had any.

Annalise slid from the bed and stood there silently, looking down and tugging at the fabric of her clothing. He wanted to run to her and kiss her and hold her and comfort her, but he wasn't sure what was causing her distress. Was she afraid of him? He wouldn't ever harm her. Eventually, she began slowly approaching him and without saying a word, she walked to him and wrapped her arms around him. Alexander immediately repeated the gesture, putting his arms around her tightly. One hand rested on the back of her head, and he held her to his chest, pressing his lips to her hair and just letting his face rest there.

She wasn't speaking, and he wished that she would. He wished she would say something. “It's all right,” he told her quietly, stroking her back gently, “Everything is all right now.. I'm here.” There were questions he wanted to ask her. Like what she intended to do from here. If she wanted to leave him. It would break his heart, no, it would kill him. But he had to make sure she was safe. Annalise didn't want to be smothered by guards and watched over by soldiers, she wanted freedom, and she wouldn't get that here. The only reasonable decision was for her to leave this place. “If you'd like to go home.. I can arrange for someone to take you there safely. I promise, Anna, you'll never have to worry about coin. I'll keep your coffers full until the day I die. Even if you aren't here with me.. I'll.. whatever you want, it's yours.”

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff