User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab Siobhan elected herself the messenger. The brunette took off not too long after everyone settled inside to notify the family in town of Annalise's return. She'd head out to Tellie and Joss first, seeing as she could stop at everyone else's on the way back. It was weird riding out so far to see Tellie, seeing as she was living in the Hartford house now. Well, it was the Rothemburg house... er... the Green house. It had been given over to the young and shy couple along with the deed. Theodore and Carlotta wouldn't need it any longer, so they made sure it got its use. And Tellie did a mighty fine job in keeping it up and clean. It was a nice house, and Tellie was thankful she got to live in it, as well as was Joss. Briannon got her brother's house all to herself, which made Joss nervous. She probably had men climbing in her windows.

It took a good two or so hours for Siobhan to return with every family in tow. There was a buzz of excitement, and Annalise was feeling a tad overwhelmed. She'd laid down in her own bed for awhile to take a rest, but it seemed she wouldn't be resting anymore. There were voices filling the house, and she could recognize them all. Even Thomas came, and she was surprised he'd even show his face. Then again, Benjamin had said Thomas was turning himself around, that he was back with Olive and preparing to be a father. Maybe he finally got over himself, over his beef with Theodore. Theodore was gone now, anyway. Probably made Thomas happy.

Annalise crawled out of her bed and stepped outside her room. The only place they could put Alexander was in the closet room, and Annalise was mortified. No, she nor anyone else mentioned what happened there, and nobody was ever going to. The bed had been changed and made up nice, of course, any of Theodore's random belongings long gotten rid of. It was just a tiny guest chamber ready for anyone. Willowmina made a hint that Benjamin should take that room and let Alexander use his, but Benjamin was not about to be accommodating. Annalise said she'd take it, but that would leave Siobhan in a room with Alexander, and that was improper. Siobhan wouldn't take it either because reasons. She was Benjamin's twin. They weren't really different in attitude. So, Alexander was going to have to put up with it, and Annalise knew it was quite the dark change from a king's suite in London.

Going out into the living room, Annalise was met with all the familiar faces she missed. William grabbed her up first and hugged her, reluctant to let go. All his children were married and gone, and Annalise had disappeared on him; his own "daughter." He and Lily had raised her for awhile, and she was with them so often that she was every bit the daughter to them as she was to her own parents, and they were like her second set of parents. It was great to feel her uncle's firm, safe embrace again. And she almost forgot how tall and muscular he was. He stood above everyone else in the room, and he maintained his physique without fail.

Hugs from Olive and Joss came next, and it was the first time Annalise and Joss were introduced. He was a fine and handsome man with manners and a muscled body. It seemed he worked for William, and that would explain his good and healthy shape. Tellie made out quite well with such a humble and handsome husband. The only man in the party who was lackluster was Thomas. He had no muscle, wasn't very tall, and was really just an average Joe. How he managed to get a beauty queen like Olive to marry him was beyond Anna's understanding.

User Image__User Image_____________

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

Alexander had insisted on unloading his own satchel without any help. It wasn't because he was opposed to seeking any assistance from these people, but because he knew precisely what was inside of his satchels and what someone might think if they'd seen the contents. He'd taken his bags into the little room he'd been given. Not that he wanted to seem completely ungrateful.. but was this even a room? It was a damned closet. He'd seen privy chambers larger than this. There was hardly enough room for the tiny bed and table. At least he had a lamp, he supposed.

Sitting down on the little mattress, he took a deep breath to calm himself. This is what he'd asked for, wasn't it? Alex knew what being with Annalise meant, and if she'd decided that she wasn't going to return to London.. this was going to be his life. Would he be able to do it? Living like some commoner? He'd thought that he could, but.. this was more of an adjustment than he'd thought it would be.

His bags simply sat at the foot of the bed, since he had no where to really store his belongings. Never would he imagine attempting to convince Annalise to abandon her family, but he certainly wasn't too keen on living like this. In a closet. Though that wouldn't be his future. He would sell what he had brought with him and buy a little home for him and Annalise. Well, a little home probably wouldn't make him very content. He'd probably petition his uncle or mother to grant him some title of peerage and give him some land nearby. It was a far cry from being King, but that wasn't what mattered.

The lack of sleep was beginning to get to him, now. He would have liked nothing more than to recline back on the bed and fall asleep, but he was certain that he couldn't do that now. Unfortunately, in moments of silence like this, when he had nothing but his thoughts.. he began to think about Cynefrid. Perhaps his only friend, certainly his oldest friend. The man was going to be put to death for what he'd tried to do to Annalise and for what he'd done to Alexander. He couldn't think of it.. it was only going to depress him further.

There were voices outside of his tiny room. A lot of voices, it sounded like. Standing, he opened the door and watched as Annalise greeted the rest of her family. A smile found it's way across his lips, and he couldn't help but feel a little lost. Not lost, he supposed, seeing as he knew precisely where he was. But certainly out of place among these people. He didn't belong here.. just as Annalise hadn't belonged in the Palace. Were they doomed to be unhappy?

At some point, Tellie had looked over towards the closet and spotted Alexander. Initially, her face had lit up in excitement and then quickly vanished. She'd thought at first glance, for some reason, it had been her brother standing there. But it wasn't. Of course it wasn't. Things had changed, and they wouldn't ever go back to being the same.

Alexander, though, having been spotted, moved away from the open door and over to the young blonde, extending his hand for a hand shake, “Hello, I'm Alexander,” he said politely.

“Natalia,” Tellie beamed brightly and forewent the handshake in order to hug Alexander, “Thank you for bringing my Anna back home..” she said quietly.

Alexander looked over to Annalise with an uncomfortable smile. Oh, he didn't quite like people touching him too much. But what was he going to do? Shove the blonde woman away? “It's- it was no problem. My pleasure, now, ah,” gently placing his hands on her shoulders, he attempted to separate her from him.

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab Annalise did feel a little bad for Alexander. Only because she knew what it felt like to be out of place. He'd reassured her up and down about how she would fit in with his world, but she couldn't offer him the same empty reassurance. He would never fit in, not unless he had years of practice. Annalise had a feeling he couldn't last a week in this kind of place, and she felt her heart drop a little ways into her stomach. They likely wouldn't get married at all. There would never an agreement. Annalise couldn't live in a place where her life was constantly at risk, and Alexander couldn't live without his grooms and fine things. He would return to London soon enough, and Annalise would have to make up some excuse as to why she wasn't getting married any longer. She'd lose Alexander just as she'd lost Theodore. She wouldn't marry at all. She'd be the spinster of the family.

It seemed Annalise was destined for bad luck and bad love, but that was the lot she was given. Maybe it was a product of her sins, and maybe she ought to repent and abstain. Or maybe it was just a product of her parents' past, something born into her as punishment to them for all the rotten things they'd done as young folks. Either way, Annalise wasn't going to get what she wanted when it came to love. Alexander was too highty-tighty to ever be with her. She could see it in his face. He couldn't be touched by anyone like them without feeling queer. Part of Annalise thought it would be good for him to live among the commoners, to see firsthand what it was to live the life of a subject. Maybe he would understand what needed doing in his country, or maybe he'd find that there were better men living in villages than all the men combined in the castle. It would certainly serve him a slice of humble pie.

Annalise looked away from Alexander after offering him a fleeting, faint smile. He wouldn't find much comfort in her gaze, for there was none needed. He was in no danger here, and he could be free to do what he wanted without permission or fear or red tape. This life was easy and generally happy, but Annalise doubted Alexander could ever be happy without his servants and his fancy dinners. Maybe he would finally understanding her position. Maybe he would understand that love just wasn't enough to create happiness in life. That was only a romantic idea. Fiction.

Olive approached Annalise again once everyone else went about conversing amongst themselves. Another hug transpired between them, and Olive smiled beautifully. Of everyone in the room, Olive was the most stunning. She blew Annalise, Willowmina, Siobhan, and Tellie straight out of the water, and Annalise never could get used to that. Olive had a knack of unconsciously making women around her jealous.

"Oh, Olive," Annalise exclaimed happily, "are you excited about your baby?"

"Very excited, my love," Olive replied, touching her flat stomach. "I'm nearly forty and pregnant for the first time in my life. This child is truly a blessing from God. It's forced Thomas and I to cooperate with each other, and I swear Thomas has made every effort in his capacity to prove himself to me."

"Well, I do hope you two can be happy together again."

"As do I. So, why don't you introduce me to your beau? He looks rather despondent, poor bloke," Olive murmured.

"He's... out of his element," Annalise muttered, taking Olive's hand and leading her over to Alexander. "Alex, meet my cousin Olive. She's married to my cousin Thomas," she explained, motioning to Thomas off where he was milling about.

"Pleasure," Olive said pleasantly, not offering a hand, only a nod of her head. "I think we all owe you our gratitude for returning Anna to us."

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

After meeting Natalia's husband, Alexander was thankful that Annalise came back to his side. He actually breathed a sigh of relief at her presence. Of course, she was bringing along some woman, but he didn't mind. This girl was stunning. Yes, she was older, but that didn't mean she was any less beautiful. This cousin of Anna's was quite lucky. The only thing that shocked him was, well, this woman was pregnant? She was old enough to be Anna's mother, well almost.. it was just bizarre.

Thankfully, Olive didn't offer her hand for a handshake or tackle him into a hug. He had about enough people touching him today. “Oh, of course,” Alexander answered with a polite smile, folding his hands behind him, “Anna missed her family and sorely needed their company. It's the least I can do to.. return her to you.” Hopefully for a visit. Hopefully... Annalise was going to decide that she wanted to return with him. But he wasn't counting on it. She was happy and at ease. She wanted to be here, he could tell. Well, he was simply going to have to be happy here too.

“Congratulations, as well, on the news. Benjamin informed us earlier, before you arrived. A child is most exciting and welcome news, is it not?” Oh this was very strange. “It seems there are.. a lot of marriages and children in the family's future and recent past. Quite exciting.” This family was getting quite large. All of the marriages and pregnancies. Tellie was next to have a child, he imagined, freshly married and still young. And this wasn't even the entire family. This Versie woman was missing, as well as Theodore and his new wife Carlotta. “Seems the only one not planning to wed is your sister, Siobhan,” Alexander commented, looking to Annalise. Oh, but he couldn't imagine a wife like that getting married. Ever. Much too rough and coarse. She'd sooner kill a man than marry him.

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab Olive smiled sweetly and thankfully as Alexander congratulated her. Annalise had to agree that there were a lot of pregnancies and marriages all the way around. Theodore ran off and got married, then Tellie finally took the role of wife. Now, Olive was going to have a baby, and Benjamin was going to be a father and a husband soon too. Annalise could hardly believe the latter part of that. Benjamin never seemed like the type to settle down with someone. When did he meet this girl? Apparently, five or six months ago, at the least. It likely had to be before that. If he was aware that she was pregnant and willing to marry her, he had to love her. Benjamin probably had children he didn't know existed, and if he did, he never went off and married one of their mothers. Whoever Versie was must have stolen Benjamin's heart long before she was pregnant, and the child was likely born of love. Well, that was good then. Benjamin would have his own life now.

The mention of Siobhan was Olive's cue to step away to join her husband, and Annalise stayed by Alexander's side, her eyes watching her sister from afar. Siobhan was talking with Lily about something or another, and her smile really brightened her usually sour face. Yeah... it seemed Siobhan wouldn't be doing any of the marriage business. Little did anyone besides Benjamin know, Siobhan did have a man she was planning on marrying someday soon. Sparrow. Everyone called him Sparrow, but that was really just his last name. He didn't go around giving out his first name, seeing as it was Wolfgang. Only his private and closest friends called him Wolf. Siobhan used it when she was just with him, but in public or to other people, he was Sparrow. Soon enough, she was going to make herself Siobhan Sparrow.

"Von is kind of... eccentric," Annalise allowed, giving a weak smile to Alexander. "I'm not sure she'd appreciate being domesticated. She'd rather be frivolous and promiscuous. I'm surprised Benjamin is even getting married. He and Siobhan are twins, so their opinions and mindsets have always been rather equal. Ah, well. I'm happy he's taking on some responsibility."

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

Alexander watched the siblings from a far, curious as to how that was even possible. The whole.. Benjamin finding some woman to marry. Marriage implied that there was some form of love. They were having a child together. Alex didn't know the man very well, but he couldn't imagine Benjamin having a gentle loving side in which he had a child or a wife. Stranger things have happened, he supposed.

Siobhan, though? No, a woman like that would not appreciate being domesticated. If she ever found a man to marry, it would either be some little person she stepped all over, or some tough man that would be able to stand up to her. He doubted such a person existed.

Alexander had begun to respond when Annalise's father wandered over again. His presence was enough to silence the King. What would he do if he found out who Alexander was?

Oliver looked down at the young man and gave some sort of a smile. Oliver still wasn't sure if he liked this man, but perhaps he would have enough time to know him before he and Annalise were married. “You never did mention,” Oliver began, “Where are you from? How are you going to support my daughter?”

“I'm from London,” he said, not hesitating at all. It was the truth. Born and raised in London. Though in a completely different way than Oliver had been. “And my.. father is wealthy. Was, wealthy. I've inherited his.. estate.” True. All of it true. Just.. certain details were omitted.

Oliver gave a slight nod at the information, “I see.. my brother had a good amount of wealth. Thomas inherited it, though I'm certain the little s**t has squandered it.” Glancing over at his nephew, a scowl crossed Oliver's face. No, Oliver hadn't inherited much at all. He'd worked hard to maintain the home and feed his wife and three children. Willowmina's brother had helped out, when they needed assistance, but Oliver had never wanted anyone to help him with anything. He hated owing favors.

Changing the subject, Oliver looked to his daughter with a smile, “Are you going to have the wedding here, in Penwood?” he wondered, “Or are we going to have to take the entire family to London for this?”

Alexander grimaced slightly, “We haven't.. decided what we were going to do, yet. We haven't had an opportunity to discuss it.”

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab It seemed Oliver had a fun time questioning poor Alexander. Annalise didn't laugh, though she wanted to. She wasn't at all worried about her father badgering Alexander, but it was obvious the King could be intimidated. Who wouldn't be? Oliver was a tall and fit man, considered an elder amongst most in the room, and that meant respect was expected. Annalise knew her father was getting old, but that didn't mean he couldn't rip someone apart if he felt so inclined to do so. Men older than him still served in wars and armies. The only other person in the room who might impose a little more intimidation was William. He was taller, bigger, and older, though he'd softened in his years. Annalise didn't think her mother could intimidate anyone anymore, but she'd used to. Siobhan and Benjamin weren't to be trifled with either, obviously.

Alexander answered Oliver's question instead of Annalise, and Annalise looked from Alexander to her father with pink cheeks. "What he..." she paused, unsure of how to make it clearer to her father. In the letter, Alexander made it out like he was absolutely going to marry her. "Well, the past few days have given rise to some scruples," Annalise explained. "We haven't had a lot of time to work them out, and if they cannot be worked out, then... Alexander and I might have to part ways. You have to understand our relationship is very much an infant, and its not guaranteed to live. We probably rushed things, as most young couples are wont to do, and now we're seeing the quandaries of our situation. I might be the family spinster," Annalise added for a little laughter. "We all thought it'd be Tellie, but it might be me. You'd like that, wouldn't you, papa?" she asked slyly, giving him a grin. "You could keep me right beside you where you can make sure I'm safe. And I'd take care of you when you got old and decrepit," she chuckled.

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

Oliver, initially, didn't seem to be overly fond of what his daughter was saying. That after everything, this man may not marry her after all. How much could change in two days? It reminded him of his own wife. So difficult and changeable. How many times had she left him over the years? Decided that she knew what was in his best interest? He didn't know whether it was Annalise or Alexander that was being the problem, but he didn't get a chance to ask immediately.

Annalise had made some joke about how Oliver would have liked her to be the family spinster. To keep her close and safe and take care of him when he was old and decrepit. “I'm already old and decrepit,” he told her with a good hearty laugh, “And yes, I'd love to keep you right beside me until you're an old lady.” Moving to the girl, he swept her up in a tight hug again and kissed her forehead. But he couldn't keep her by his side forever. She was a grown woman now, and she was maturing more each day. He had to let her go, he saw that now. He'd tried to keep her too safe and too protected, and she'd run away from him and the family.

“But,” he told her, placing her back down where she was, “I wouldn't do that to you. I would much rather see you happily married. So,” looking to Alexander now, with narrowed eyes, “What exactly are these scruples?”

Alexander answered again, seeing as it was rather clear to him that Oliver was directing the question in his direction, “They are personal matters which Annalise and I intend to work through on our own.” Oh, there he was, the King of England. He kept his voice steady and strong, making sure to let Oliver know that he wasn't going to be pushed around or bullied into revealing something that was, actually, private and personal. Annalise and he had to work through these things on their own. They hadn't even discussed them. She'd wanted to see her family, and that had been the path they'd decided to take. But Alexander knew, in his heart, that he was going to marry her. He would stay here and marry her, if she refused to accompany him back. “I assure you, when we make our decisions, we will notify you.”

Oliver raised a brow at the young man and then looked to his daughter, “You just let me or Ben know if you need anything. Alright?” Annalise was his favorite. Oh, yes, that was wrong.. he knew, but she was. It was likely because she was the spitting image of her mother, kind and gentle and sweet in all the ways Willowmina wasn't, but just as tough and bossy. With a final smile and a pat on the girl's shoulder, he turned away.

Alexander let out an unsteady breath. He felt like some animal puffing up his chest and standing up to the alpha wolf in his pack. Only, well, Alex still wasn't sure that he'd won. No, he was certain that he hadn't. “Sorry,” he told Anna quietly.

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab Annalise couldn't help but giggle as her father claimed he was already old and decrepit. That was completely untrue. He wasn't even that old, and he was still in fine shape. Him being able to scoop her up off her feet and squeeze her tight was proof enough of that. Oh, Annalise felt like a little girl again whenever her papa hoisted her that foot or so off the ground to hug her. She always squeezed his neck as tight as she could without choking him, and that didn't change now, even if she was twenty-three. You were never too old to love you mother or father, never too old to get kisses and hugs or give them in return. Annalise would openly love her papa until he was dead without a morsel of embarrassment. He was her favorite, and she felt bad for her mother because of it, but Willowmina had the twins' favor. Benjamin especially. Don't tell anyone, but he'd always been a mama's boy.

Annalise paled the slightest bit when Alexander responded the way he did to her father. She'd warned him to be careful, and she could tell he was trying to say careful words, but they weren't exactly the right words. Oliver's brow was enough to denote his unhappiness with the boy. Then, of course, the threatening comment was made, and Oliver's threats had never been empty. If Annalise gave her father or brother any reason to clean Alexander's clock, they would make it squeak. Annalise hadn't been privy to the fact Theodore beat up Benjamin, but if she had, she would have been shocked. Alexander against Benjamin? There would be no chance. Theodore had been in tavern brawls, and he learned fighting from his father. It was just believable that he could win with some luck against Ben. But Alexander was hopeless. He was... frilly.

Oliver left them, and Alexander apologized. Annalise just sighed with a dismissive shake of her head. She had this feeling Alexander wasn't going to last very long here. He wasn't giving her father any reason to give a blessing, and to get on Oliver's bad side kind of meant you never came off until you were, well, dead.

"I told you to be ca--oh! Uncle Will," Annalise exclaimed as her uncle seemed to sneak up on them. "Have you come to meet my 'beau' too?"

"That's correct, my sweet. I have to make sure I won't have to kill him," William joked, but his expression was stern. "Doesn't look like your sort of gentleman, Anna. I think I'd know that sort well," he hinted, giving her a pointed look that made her flush crimson immediately. "So, you've heard about Theodore, then, ay?"

"Yes, uncle," Anna replied quietly, twisting her hands in front of her. "Has he written?"

"No," William clipped. "I don't think he will, either. He told Tellie he would only right on holidays, and he wouldn't come back to visit us until he had a child. Speaking of, he doesn't plan to have one anytime soon. It would get in the way of his dreams," he growled sardonically. "Bah, but he got all that from me. His mother's too angelic to pass on any bad genes."

"Oh, don't say that, uncle,"
                                  Annalise pleaded, taking his large and thick skinned hand in both of hers. "You're a good man, and I love you so much. I ought to apologize for my leaving. You and Lily are like my second parents, so... I know I hurt you two as well."

"Aye, you did, girl," William replied, placing his hand to her soft cheek. "I was worried sick about you, and Lily wept over you. But you're back now, sweetheart, and I'm jolly glad to behold you. Ah, Annie..." he said quietly, pulling her into his firm torso with one arm. "You look just like your mother did when she was your age. Looking at you is like seeing my sister from thirty or so years ago. At least you didn't inherit the ugly from your father," William chuckled, bending to kiss her cheek.

"Uncle!" Annalise chided with a smile. "Benjamin looks just papa! Are you saying my brother's ugly?"

"Oh, no! No, no," William said emphatically. "Old Benjy got enough of Mina's prettiness to make him a strapping lad. Got himself a fiance and a baby, now, he has."

"So I've heard," Annalise sighed, glancing over to Alexander. "Uncle, this is Alexander. Be gentle."

"Ain't in my vocabulary, doll," William muttered, though he gave her a smile and a wink. He was more gentle than Oliver was. "So, boy," William said pointedly, staring down at Alexander from his great height, "you best c**k your ear to what I'm saying to you. I work with a lot of dangerous tools, and I still believe I've my sword at home... yes... so, it would be a real shame to find one of them lodged somewhere in your person," he threatened, much to Anna's mortification. "It was tolerable meeting you," he subjoined, turning on his heel and moving to join his little wife.

"He's very gentle," Anna told Alexander hurriedly. "He hasn't hurt anyone in... well, not since I've been alive. Not to my knowledge."

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

Alexander stood by as Annalise was reunited with another one of her family members; her uncle Will. She'd said that this was one of the people who should be okay around. Lily, Willowmina, Tellie and maybe Uncle Will. It seemed to him, that the first part of that statement was true. The first three ladies were very kind and pleasant. Alex would have to be more careful with his tone around Benjamin and Oliver.

It was just.. well, he was the damned King. People didn't talk to him I such a fashion. They didn't make demands and they didn't threaten him. Oh, but Alexander wasn't the King right now. He was some rich dandy that Annalise had met. He just needed to watch his tone.

Then, her Uncle turned to him to speak and his tone instantly turned disdainful. Oh, lord. Alexander just stood and watched as William turned and left, after... very clearly threatening him with bodily harm. Benjamin and Oliver had simply made... hints at threats. Threatening looks. But William honestly and truly just threatened to kill him, or at the very least, injure him. Either one of those things were considered high treason. William Rothemburg had reason to be hung, drawn, and quartered. But Alexander was never the kind of person to seek out personal vengeance for such a thing. Besides, William hadn't even known who he was threatening when he said it.

“He sounds very gentle,” Alex teased quietly, looking over to Annalise with a small amused smirk. “To your knowledge, you say. Didn't your other uncle just die? Your aunt's ex-husband?” He quirked a brow at her. No, he didn't think the man had anything to do with it, but still.

Placing a hand on the small of Anna's back, he leaned over to her ear, “I think it will be funny to see his reaction when you tell him. If you do, of course. They'll find out one day, I'm sure.”

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab Annalise knew her uncle had nothing to do with Andrew's death. It was a joke on Alexander's part, but it wasn't one she found at all funny. If William had wanted Andrew dead, he would have killed him before he even married Lily. In that day, he was volatile. Now, he was just an old, protective family man. Sure, there was still reason to fear him, but not an unhealthy amount of it. He made sure his loved ones were taken care of, and he didn't take any nonsense. Contrary to popular belief, William wasn't a murderer. He killed in self defense or battle, and he had that disorder that made him forget himself, so any kills made during that period were unconscious. Never did he go out of his way to murder someone. He was a good man. One of the best. It was a pity Alexander would never get along with anyone in her family.

Annalise chose to ignore the joke and focus on what Alexander told her next. Yes... eventually everyone would have to find out who Alex was. That was sure to put everyone at odds. There was a slight chance her family and Alex could have a peace treaty as things stood now, but if his identity leaked out, well, there would be no peace at all. He was the son of the family's bane of existence, and their hatred for Victor likely passed on to Alexander. It was a shame, really, but being back at home... it made Annalise realize things weren't going to work with Alexander. She'd been right since the beginning, and she'd come too far with letting him lead her around under idle promises. She couldn't live in London, he couldn't live here, and there would be nothing but strife if they joined. It would be better to part. Soon.

Not wanting to bring any of that up right now, Annalise just gave Alexander a smile. "Well, I think it's getting close to dinner. I'm not sure if everyone's staying. Mama's stew may not feed all these people. We might have to say goodbye to everyone who came back with Siobhan," she said.

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

Sure enough, supper was ready and it was time for the other people to leave. Olive, Thomas, Tellie, Joss, William, and Lily all gave their hugs and said their goodbyes and left. Of course, Alexander understood that they weren't there to meet and mingle with him. They were there for Annalise. They wanted to see their darling cousin or niece after being departed from her for those few months. Naturally, however, they were under the assumption she was going to stay. Or at the very least, give them a proper goodbye if she left again.

Alexander felt like an unwanted outsider. Yes, he supposed he understood how Annalise had felt at the Palace, but at least people there had tried to make her feel at home. Lola and Virginie had been kind and welcoming, and they'd waited on her hand and foot. Kenley had been there to keep Anna safe, even if the girl didn't appreciate his presence. Here.. there was no one for Alexander. Sure, Tellie, Willowmina and Lily had been polite (and Olive too, he supposed), but only one of those people were here right now. It was a little different to have a bear of a father and brother staring daggers into you throughout a meal.

The stew had been served and Alexander took his place sitting beside Annalise, Oliver at the head of the table. It was silent, except for the unappreciative stares. After the first few bites, he put down his spoon and looked over to Willowmina, smiling politely, “Oh, the stew is excellent Mina, thank you. It's the perfect thing after such a long ride.”

For a moment, Alexander was worried he wasn't allowed to compliment Oliver's wife, but the older man gave a smirk after a moment, “Of course it's perfect. Willowmina is perfect. Perfect mother, perfect cook, perfect wife. She can write, draw, hell, she could even fight back in the day. Nobody else was half as tough Mina. Not even me.” With a thoughtful grin, he turned to his stew, “Ah, the fights we used to get in...”

“That's...” he paused, trying to think of the best word to use. Being unable to find one, alk he said was, “romantic.” Alexander smiled, hoping it hadn't seemed sarcastic.

“It was,” Oliver answered pointedly with a huff.

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab It had been such a long time since Annalise sat down to a dinner. Oh, yes, she had dinner with Alexander, but it wasn't the same as sitting with her family. All that rich and fancy food at the castle was delicious, but her mother's cooking was still the best. Stew had always been Willowmina's specialty, and she could make a fantastic chicken. As of late, she'd gotten used to making game birds, seeing as her twins shot down quite a few of them. Pheasant, quail, duck, grouse, and the like. Venison was a staple in their house, as well, and meat was always abundant these days. Benjamin and Siobhan really did a superb job in keeping food on the table for free. They got their arrows for free from Thomas, and they would often help him out in his shop if they wanted to offer a bit of labor as payment. All Willowmina had to buy were... well, ingredients. There was a garden out back where she grew a lot of fruits and vegetables and herbs at home, so food was plentiful.

Annalise felt quite happy and at ease being at her family's table again. She'd missed the taste of her mother's stew chock full of meat and vegetables and onions and spice. Her mother's homemade bread was as fluffy and delicious as always, not to mention the homemade butter. Churning it was a chore, but Annalise knew Siobhan did most of that, or herself when she was at home. Everything in this house was homemade, homegrown, and hunted. It was a decent little homestead, for sure. Some of the surrounding millers bought things from Willowmina if she had extra, so she even got a few coins for her labor in the garden and kitchen.

Willowmina gave a warm smile to Alexander as he complimented her stew. A man who liked her cooking couldn't be too bad. After all, Annalise would be making the same things for him someday. And Annalise was a decent cook, though she needed more practice.

Oliver began praising his wife up one side down the other, making Willowmina chuckle and sigh. "Oh, hush," she told him, giving him a smile. "You're making me out to be more than I am, darling. Don't listen to him," she advised Alexander.

"Ma, you should own up to your perfection," Benjamin cut in. "You are the perfect cook and mother, and you're apparently a perfect wife, seeing as dad looks at you with such love unlike anything else I've seen. And don't you forget the stories of your youth either. Any man would have prostrated at your feet in hopes of being worthy of you. Siobhan isn't even half as tough as you were."

"It's true..." Siobhan grumbled begrudgingly.

"Oh... well," Willowmina chuckled, giving a slight shrug, "it seems I can't get away with lessening myself. I admit it, then. I am the perfect woman."

Floppy Member

16,175 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image

Alexander just sat there with a smile on his face as the family complimented their matriarch. She seemed like a wonderful woman, and he hardly knew her. To him, it seemed that her personality had been split in half. The fierce and deadly mercenary who he'd heard stories of, and the soft kindly mother of three and housewife. Those personalities seemed so prevalent in her daughters. Siobhan and then Annalise, personifications of each half.

Though, Alexander had seen Annalise be quite the little wolf herself. Fond memories of those nights together. The way she'd been tough and cruel to him when she'd found out he was the King. The seductive way she moved. But he knew the softer side of her too. If Annalise was anything like her mother had been, Willowmina might just have been perfect.

“That's right,” Oliver said, lifting his spoon to point it at his wife, “Just accept it. After all these years of everyone telling you, Mina, just accept that you're perfect.” He grinned a bit and then turned his attention back to his bowl.

“I've heard stories,” Alexander began, resting his spoon in his bowl and sitting up straight to look down the table at the older woman, “About you. From Annalise and.. others.. in London. I'd asked around, once Annalise had told me about you. You left quite an impression on a good number of people. It's impressive, the things you did in your past. I've practiced fencing and swordplay most of my life, but I'm certain you were much better than I'll ever hope to be.”

Oliver let out a hearty laugh, finding it quite hilarious that a little scrawny kid like Alex fancied himself a swordsman. He couldn't imagine the boy being capable of even lifting a sword, let alone swinging it or dueling someone. “Swordplay. Have you ever been in a real fight?”

Alexander didn't want to respond, really. He didn't want to upset Annalise's father by insisting that he was actually quite good with a sword. But he also didn't want to tuck his tail between his legs and back down, allowing the man to insult him. No, he had to be careful in what he said. “I'm quite proficient in fencing,” he answered, “And I've learned how to defend myself in a fight with a weapon.”

Oliver smirked, “Well good, then. That's good. It's always important to know how to defend yourself.” He would have said something more insulting, but he'd only just got his daughter home. He didn't want to make things difficult for her. “I'm sorry, Alex. I don't mean to offend you. I just- well, you're not the sort of person I imagined for my Anna. And I tend to joke around a lot. You understand?”

Alex gave a nod and a polite smile. No, he didn't. “Oh, I do. It's not a problem, I assure you. I completely understand.”

IRL Hellraiser

29,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User ImageUser Image
User Image

αηηαℓιsε ℓσcкε∂αу
~
тнεσ∂σяε яσтнεмвυяg

KEEP ME SAFE
~
ALWAYS, DARLING

tab The days of Willowmina wanting the attention on her were long gone. She wished the dinner conversation wasn't all about her. Even so, she kept her smile warm as Alexander spoke of how he'd learned of her in London. So people still remembered her around those parts, eh? Well, who could really forget? Willowmina had been, almost, an iconic figure among certain groups. She had her mask, her reputation, and her beauty. Everyone knew who she was and what she was capable of. Her prowess in the war preceded her in any tavern, and any man knew her by her wolf's mask. It was heartwarming, really, to know she was remembered after all these years. Of course, everyone though she was dead, but that didn't stop them from conjuring up her past. She lived on, it seemed. A small... little legend.

Willowmina allowed Oliver to steer the conversation elsewhere, and it gave her the peace to focus on her dinner. She did her best not to laugh or smile at Oliver's sarcasm. He might be an old man now, but he didn't seem to lose his edge. Like the brute he'd been, he could still be brutal. Brutality wasn't always physical force or anger, but intention. Those snide little remarks that piled up into a crushing destruction of someone's pride or esteem. Willowmina could tell her husband wasn't fond of Alexander, but she could also tell he was... trying to avoid being a bully. In Willowmina's opinion, a shrimp like Alexander might benefit from a bit of bullying. Why on earth would her Anna choose a boy like that? Those boys were Willowmina's disgust.

Benjamin looked at his father for a second before sliding his eyes over to Alexander. A malicious grin graced his bearded face, and he dropped both of his trunk-like arms on the table; it was an earthquake for the dinnerware. Leaning forward, he took up his mug of ale and pointed his index finger at Alexander. "If you're so ******** good at swordplay, boy, I issue a challenge. Hows about you and I put your defensive skill to the ultimate test? I ain't talking no pansy fencing neither. That's a girl's game, and I don't mean females. Sword fighting. Real... sword fighting. No rules, no playing fair, just a fight. I wanna see what you're made of, what with your boasting."

"Aha!" Siobhan laughed shrilly, giving a stamp of her foot and covering her mouth with the back of her wrist. "Is that such a good idea, Benny? Don't want to go an kill the dandy. Make Anna right furious, it would."

"I ain't gonna kill him, sweetheart," Benjamin assured, taking a long drink of his ale. "But I'm gonna make him wish he was dead after I mortify his pride. What do you say, man?" Benjamin asked with a wide grin. "Will you accept or decline?"

Annalise looked around the table at all the faces. Oh, dear. If Alexander declined, that would seriously damage his standing with her family. They'd consider him a coward. If he accepted, however, he wouldn't walk away unscathed. Benjamin was much too out of Alexander's league. Alexander might have had fancy lessons, but he didn't learn from mercenary parents and a mercenary uncle. Mercenary and war fighting was unforgiving and brutal, and there were no rules to protect you. You fought for your life... or you lost it. Benjamin wouldn't kill Alexander, she was sure of that, but he'd certainly do some damage somehow. And Alexander was the King...

"I don't know if that's such a good idea, Ben..." Anna said, pushing her stew around.

"Sure it is, dove! You want your future husband to be worth something, don't you? Don't you worry, Annie. It'll be just fine. If, that is, he accepts."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces