< 1 2

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Un Chien Andalou

Friendly Genius

The Man Who Laughs and City Lights are top favorites for me.

Destitute Faun

34,240 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Budding Witch 250
In all honesty, the only silent film I've ever watched in its entirety was Greed (1924), and that was only because I was reading Frank Norris' McTeague for an English class. I really liked it, though.

Rainbow Unicorn

Kagirinaki hodo and Orochi I guess x3
Nosferatu and The Red Balloon. I haven't seen many others.

Professional Architect

950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
Anything by George Melies, he was a wonderful silent filmmaker, being that he was one of the first too.

Ace Human

25,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Cart Raider 100
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is one of my favorites.

RichChikka's Senpai

Magical Elder

11,225 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Overstocked 200
Charlie Chaplin, all the movie. The best!

Liberal Hunter

Nosferatu!
metropolis

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Le Voyage Dans La Lune is my absolute favorite/. I also watched Un Chien Andalou, but it went on a little too long. I have a music video version set to Debaser by Pixies on my profile.

Salty Codger

mSlMD

I never saw Greed, but the story behind it is amazing. Talk about dedication to the source material...

On topic, my favorite would have to be The General. Even after all these years, the humor still stands up. Plus some of those stunts are remarkable, especially knowing it was really Buster Keaton on a moving train, putting his life in danger for a joke. I mean, dang.

On a side note, I really disliked Un Chien Andalou and Battleship Potemkin. I appreciate them and am glad I watched them so I can understand their effect on modern filmmaking, but they are awful to watch. The eye slicing part. *shudder* My distaste for Potemkin mainly comes from having to watch the Odessa Steps sequence at least 10 times during the course of my college education. And then watch a dozen movies that reference the film.

6,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
wow you have great taste 3nodding as soon as I saw the title of the post I thought of the cabinet of dr. caligari lol I'm still picking it but as well with metropolis, nosferatu, and london after midnight (even though it's just the reconstruction of it sad ) Have any of you guys watched the 2005 remake of cabinet of dr.caligari? It's actually not bad, they used green screens to place the actors in the same sets from the original.

Sugary Strawberry

14,850 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • The Sweetest 250
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is wonderful.
We studied it in my Art History class
but I knew of it primarily because of
Portlandia!

My favorite silent film is probably "The Kid" by Charlie Chaplin
or "La Voyage dans la lune" by Georges Melies. I probably
butchered the spelling there. sweatdrop

Friendly Camper

Comedy silent films by Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton always stood out for me! Incredibly animated in movements and I love how exaggerated their acting was in silent films.

I sadly haven't seen Metropolis but I'd love to see it one day. Favourite dramatic silent film I've seen would probably be Nosferatu.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff