Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
A video showing two sisters in northern India hitting back at men who allegedly harassed them on a crowded bus has drawn huge attention in a country where hundreds of thousands of women silently endure sexual harassment daily.

The video, filmed by a passenger and aired on several television channels Monday, shows the two young women hitting, punching and beating their harassers with a belt, as other passengers silently look on. The women, identified only by their first names, Arati and Pooja, said they lashed out at the men after enduring lewd comments and pawing from them.

"One of the boys started touching my sister and making kissing gestures," Arati told reporters. "I told him to go away or I would teach him a lesson. Then he called another boy saying that we have to beat up two girls. And then the other boy got on the bus."

The sisters said that no one on the bus tried to help them. Instead, other passengers told them to not provoke the men, because they might later attack them or throw acid on them.

Press Trust of India reported that the video was shot Friday as the sisters were on their way to college.

By late Sunday, police in the state of Haryana had arrested three men and were investigating the incident.

As the news of the women's actions spread, Manohar Lal Khattar, Haryana's chief minister, lauded the bravery of the two women and said they would be honored during India's Republic Day celebration in January.

The video drew a massive response on social media, with many Indians applauding the sisters' bravery, while criticizing the passengers for failing to come to their aid.

"Salute to #RohtakBravehearts who stood against molestation & gave a fitting lesson to culprits. Shameful that none in the bus stood up 4 thm," Naveen Jindal, a federal legislator from Haryana, tweeted.

Sexual violence and harassment faced by Indian women has been the subject of a heated debate in India since the fatal gang rape of a young woman on a moving bus in New Delhi in December 2012.

Hundreds of thousands of ordinary Indians took to the streets in protest after that gruesome attack. The anger pushed the government to overhaul laws to make for more stringent measures to fight attacks against women.

WHACK!~

Gaian

Ho. Lee. s**t. Good on those sisters for successfully defending themselves from those ravenous perverts! They should serve as an example to women all over India as well as the world at large that women CAN fight back against perverts like those guys.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Cool, but where's the video?

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
I'd like to see that video.

But something tells me that if it hadn't been caught on camera and aired on national television, those girls probably would have been arrested.

Quotable Prophet

I definitely want to see that video. If it did happen like they said, then good on those girls for standing up for themselves.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
The sisters said that no one on the bus tried to help them. Instead, other passengers told them to not provoke the men, because they might later attack them or throw acid on them.

What a ******** up country.
Maybe the women in India should start carrying acid around with them.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Ratttking
Look on youtube... one uses a belt on the harrassers.

6,550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
Good for those girls!

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
PantheaMarlon
Ratttking
I saw it on NPR, but thanks. Frankly I think they should take self-defense lessons, it looked like the guys were laughing from the ineffectiveness of the belting.

Hardcore Regular

The video shows 2 woman beating men with belts, no footage of the alleged harassment.

I'll look into this more

Hardcore Regular

holidazedV2
The video shows 2 woman beating men with belts, no footage of the alleged harassment.

I'll look into this more

Apparently theres witnesses that say the girls may have started the interaction and theres a second video of the sisters attacking another man for harassment again no harassment caught on tape.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Cupcakes HD on youtube
Ratttking
PantheaMarlon
Ratttking
I saw it on NPR, but thanks. Frankly I think they should take self-defense lessons, it looked like the guys were laughing from the ineffectiveness of the belting.
Like anyone in that country would teach them.
They don't necessarily need one-on-one instruction. They could study it online.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Ratttking
Cupcakes HD on youtube
Ratttking
PantheaMarlon
Ratttking
Like anyone in that country would teach them.
They don't necessarily need one-on-one instruction. They could study it online.
1Q84 for one chapter kept repeating the guy verison of the end of the world. Kick them in the balls.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff