Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A University of Virginia student spent a night and good part of the next day in jail after seven plain-clothes agents from the state’s Alcoholic Beverage Control division ambushed her.

The student, 20-year-old Elizabeth Daly, made the mistake of walking to her car with bottled water, cookie dough and ice cream in a dark supermarket parking lot near the UVA campus, reports The Daily Progress.

The seven agents sprung aggressively into action, suspecting that the student was carrying was a 12-pack of beer. She was actually carrying a sky-blue carton of LaCroix sparkling water.

Police admit that one of the high-strung agents vaulted onto the hood of Daly’s car. She contends that one of them also drew a gun.

It’s not clear what about Daly’s appearance gave the six police officers the belief that they had probable cause to confront her en masse.

Daly, along with two roommates who were in the car, did what reasonable, unarmed people usually do when violently pounced upon by seven people. They tried to get away.

“They were showing unidentifiable badges after they approached us, but we became frightened, as they were not in anything close to a uniform,” Daly said in a written account, according to The Daily Progress.

“I couldn’t put my windows down unless I started my car, and when I started my car they began yelling to not move the car, not to start the car. They began trying to break the windows. My roommates and I were … terrified,” the student also wrote.

According to court records obtained by the Charlottesville paper, Daly “grazed” two agents with her vehicle. At this time, the records state, the unidentified passenger in the front seat of her SUV was yelling “go, go, go” and simultaneously diving into the back seat.

Once the three students managed to make it out of the parking lot, they called 911. Daly testified that her goal was to drive immediately to a police station. However, she was stopped by a vehicle with identifiable sirens and lights.

Daly had just left an annual UVA “Take Back the Night” vigil on the famous campus founded by the man who drafted the Declaration of Independence. She was eventually able to explain that she had purchased the water and junk food for a sorority benefit. She also apologized.

The seven Alcoholic Beverage Control agents were not satisfied. They charged Daly with three felonies: one count of eluding police and two counts of assaulting a law enforcement officer. In Virginia, each of these Class Six felonies carries up to five years in prison and up to $2,500 in fines.

The seven agents then had her hauled to the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail.

The incident occurred April 11. Charlottesville Commonwealth’s Attorney Dave Chapman deigned to drop the criminal charges this week.

“You don’t know all the facts until you complete the investigation,” Chapman told The Daily Progress in defense of his own actions and the actions of the Alcoholic Beverage Control agents.

It’s unclear why Chapman’s investigation took some 80 days.

The Charlottesville broadsheet also does not mention how much Daly paid her defense attorney, Francis Lawrence.

A spokeswoman for Alcoholic Beverage Control’s regional office, Carol Mawyer, refused to provide details other than saying that the bureau’s agents cunningly wear plainclothes.

“This has been an extremely trying experience,” Daly wrote in her statement. “It is something to this day I cannot understand or believe has come to this point.”

80 days is a bit much

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
And people are scared of average citizens with guns? >.>;

Dedicated Student

If this is true the police are s**t.
JamesWN
And people are scared of average citizens with guns? >.>;
There are two types of people that run around with guns; nutjobs and cops. The line between the two is often fuzzy but when someone pulls a gun on you, you assume the worst and protect yourself.
just more evidence as to why more and more people distrust cops every day.

Wintry Dragon

emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

Trigger-happy cops...

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
There is so much wrong with this I can't even begin to talk about it.
To add insult to injury, there were several ambushes and rapes in the area around that time. She did the smart thing to get away. Also, WTF @ "Beverage Control Officers." Those sound like the planned strike force to keep NYC people safe from giant sodas.

Release her with no charges, plz.

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
What the hell did they expect for her reaction would be!? Seven men dressed plainly pounced on her and her roommates out of nowhere in the middle of the night with unidentifiable police badges! I would try to run too!

Ferocious Browser

First of all, so what if she bought beer, what exactly is the issue? This isnt the 1920s. Were any of the roommates over 21?

Second of all, does dropping the charges mean that she doesn't have to report that she was accused of a felony, nothing on her record, all good to go just like before?

Girl-Crazy Sex Symbol

Lupa Fangs Makucha
If this is true the police are s**t.

This actually wouldn't be the only reason as to why many are s**t.

Quotable Noob

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
What side of the law were those agents working for?

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
And you wonder why people like Donner turn against fellow cops.

Dapper Spotter

Alcoholic Beverage Control? rolleyes

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Spindlewick
Alcoholic Beverage Control? rolleyes

More like dipshits who can't look at a container and comprehend that it's sparkling water and are too p***y to admit they screwed up. Can't you see? They HAD to destroy these girls' lives to feel like MEN!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff