Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sweet Humorist

15,425 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Informer 100
Quote:
Turkish Women Laugh Online to Protest Deputy PM's Remarks

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Hundreds of Turkish women posted pictures of themselves laughing on Twitter on Wednesday to protest comments by Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc, who had urged women not to laugh in public to "protect moral values".
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Melda Onur, a lawmaker from the main opposition party CHP, said on Twitter that Arinc's comments portrayed laughing as a dishonourable act and left women exposed to violence.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Arinc criticised the media on Wednesday for taking his comments out of context and focusing on a small part of his speech, in which he said he advised both men and women to adopt "ethical behaviours".

"Some people criticise me by picking up only a part of an 1 1/2-hour speech. What a baseless and disgusting claim. People who have listened to all of my comments have realised this," Arinc was quoted as saying by Hurriyet newspaper.

"I believe I have made a useful speech," he said. "If I had only said women should not laugh then I have done something irrational. But my speech was about manners and moral rules."

Opponents accuse Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's government of ruling in an increasingly authoritarian manner and meddling in people's private lives, which has long been a source of conflict between the country's secularists and Erdogan's conservative supporters.

Erdogan is running to become the first directly elected president of predominantly Muslim Turkey.

Arinc, one of the co-founders of Erdogan's AK Party, said this week at a celebration of Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of Ramadan: "The woman should have chastity ... She should not laugh in front of everyone and not be inviting in her behaviour. She should protect her honour."

One women's organisation said it would file a criminal complaint against the deputy PM.

His comments, in which he also criticised television soap operas for promoting decadence, drew criticism from opposition presidential candidate Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu as well. He tweeted: "Our country needs our women to laugh and to hear everyone's joyful laughter more than ever."

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
An extremely foolish comment worthy of laughter, yet I see nothing criminal about his remark so I'd like to know the basis for the criminal complaint being filed against him.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
An extremely foolish comment worthy of laughter, yet I see nothing criminal about his remark so I'd like to know the basis for the criminal complaint being filed against him.

It's basically saying "If you don't want to get raped, don't laugh in public." So, counts for both sexism and victim blaming. Plus, I'd be a little creeped out if the President said Americans weren't allowed to laugh in public for "safety reasons."

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
why isn't there a virus that only targets stupid people?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

It's basically saying "If you don't want to get raped, don't laugh in public." So, counts for both sexism and victim blaming. Plus, I'd be a little creeped out if the President said Americans weren't allowed to laugh in public for "safety reasons."
Neither of which is criminal, and 'urging' them not to laugh in public is not even close to disallowing them to do so. I don't believe the Turkish president was involved here, this statement was from the deputy prime minister, which is a different position entirely and one for which we do not have an equivalent.
Laugh it up ladies. ******** that prime minister. rofl

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
That's stupid. And to protect their 'honor'. Would someone almost equivalent be the Speaker of the House?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Darth Acheron
That's stupid. And to protect their 'honor'. Would someone almost equivalent be the Speaker of the House?
I don't think so. In the Turkish Parliament, the more or less equivalent position to our Speaker of the House [of Representatives] is the Speaker of the Parliament of Turkey. He also serves as acting president if the president is unable to fulfill his duties.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
How about governments just concentrate on serving the people, instead of trying to impose manners and morals?

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

Neither of which is criminal, and 'urging' them not to laugh in public is not even close to disallowing them to do so. I don't believe the Turkish president was involved here, this statement was from the deputy prime minister, which is a different position entirely and one for which we do not have an equivalent.

I thought prime minister was relative to vice president? Or is it more of a police force figure in Turkey?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

I thought prime minister was relative to vice president? Or is it more of a police force figure in Turkey?
No. IDK what you mean by 'police force figure', the PM is appointed by the president. The president is the head of state, but the PM is the one who actually runs the government.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

No. IDK what you mean by 'police force figure', the PM is appointed by the president. The president is the head of state, but the PM is the one who actually runs the government.

Like... not the chief of police, the attorney general or something.

I'm confused because over in England their PM is pretty much the president, unless they're hiding a diplomatic body somewhere.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

Like... not the chief of police, the attorney general or something.

I'm confused because over in England their PM is pretty much the president, unless they're hiding a diplomatic body somewhere.
It can be somewhat confusing. The UK's system is a bit different from Turkey's though, as the monarch is the non-elected head of state and in theory could dismiss the elected PM if it suited her, or refuse to approve laws agreed on by both houses - the latter last happened in 1707.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Ratttking

The Constitution of Turkey explicitly states that religious sensibilities cannot become involved in the political process.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Glorious Leader Luna
Ratttking

The Constitution of Turkey explicitly states that religious sensibilities cannot become involved in the political process.
Morals and manners need not relate to religion. I see nothing religious about his comment.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff