Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sugary Cat

Misty Moonsilver
MiameMiame
Misty Moonsilver
MiameMiame
Misty Moonsilver
holidazedV2
Its always interesting how we pick which suicides/murders/deaths are important.
a suicide happens about every 14 to 17 minutes in the us everyday

THIS
I can name dozens of folks who have killed themselves. Black people, white people, men, women etc. But it only becomes important if the person is "transgender"?
This suicide could have been easily prevented, added to that a large amount of transgender folk find themselves depressed. So yes, it's kind of a big deal.

Lots of suicides could have been easily prevented. stare
Yeah and lots of people are depressed. That doens't make this chase any less awful though. Man...I thought I was apathic

I'm saying that people kill themselves everyday for a lot of different reasons that could have been prevented. Is this person's suicide more important because they decided to change genders...?
Her suicide conveys what a lot of transgender people are living with (ignorance) in the States and other parts of this world. Leelah gave off a strong signal with her suicide.I have no idea why you are being so defdefensive but I am curious.
Fuzery
https://www.change.org/p/president-of-the-united-states-enact-leelah-s-law-to-ban-transgender-conversion-therapy

Please sign this petition to ban transgender conversion therapy!
RIP Leelah
Another soul with dreams and thoughts taken from the world due to cruelty.
Slacktivism at its best.

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
MiameMiame
Misty Moonsilver
MiameMiame
Misty Moonsilver
MiameMiame
This suicide could have been easily prevented, added to that a large amount of transgender folk find themselves depressed. So yes, it's kind of a big deal.

Yeah and lots of people are depressed. That doens't make this chase any less awful though. Man...I thought I was apathic

I'm saying that people kill themselves everyday for a lot of different reasons that could have been prevented. Is this person's suicide more important because they decided to change genders...?
Her suicide conveys what a lot of transgender people are living with (ignorance) in the States and other parts of this world. Leelah gave off a strong signal with her suicide.I have no idea why you are being so defdefensive but I am curious.

I'm not being defensive......I just hate when we act as if something is rare like this. Suicide is not rare. I just can't understand why this person's death (suicide) is making headlines so much.
Example: countless black women have committed suicide this year. None of them made headlines. Black women have to live with ignorance too. What's the difference? People kill themselves all the time. It's EQUALLY sad. This person's life is not worth more than the others' who have committed suicide.

Magical Girl

UF6
Fuzery
https://www.change.org/p/president-of-the-united-states-enact-leelah-s-law-to-ban-transgender-conversion-therapy

RIP Leelah
Slacktivism at its best.
I like the part where you proposed a more meaningful alternative.

Which isn't to say that someone can only do one thing, which is what you're implying. Petitions are complimentary to other forms of activism, but please, do tell how you think the OP can be a better activist.

Bonus points if you convince us you actually care about trans people at all.

Conservative Regular

Misty Moonsilver
holidazedV2

THIS
I can name dozens of folks who have killed themselves. Black people, white people, men, women etc. But it only becomes important if the person is "transgender"?

Generally the mass media industry as a whole don't report on suicides because the fear of copycats.

The only reason this is being notice is because of the dead man switch she left on her tumblr

and the population of tumblr being ignorant about industry safety recommendations

Space Hero

20,550 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Timid 100
UF6
Fuzery

RIP Leelah
Slacktivism at its best.

Oh. Sorry for trying to spread the word that someone wants to help prevent suicide.
malus domestica
Mei tsuki7
Kinny Fear

mad mental illness. is not. a terminal illness.

i am so ******** done with you, it's not even a joke.

Quote:
Terminal illness is a disease that cannot be cured or adequately treated

Severe mental illness applies.

You conveniently left out the end of the definition "and that is reasonably expected to result in the death of the patient within a short period of time. "

The outcome of death is avoidable by strapping them down to a bed and padding the tongue, not really humane, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but it does kinda make mental illness not terminal.

"an advanced stage of a disease with an unfavorable prognosis and no known cure"

"Advanced disease state from which there is no expectation of recovery."

Newbie Fatcat

8,025 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Member 100
  • Profitable 100
IT hurts me so much that her death wont change that much we live a world where we see outcast as a choice or simply they choose to be gay,trans,scene,emo ect the day the world wants to change we might be to late. I'm sorry Leelah your action were made cause you were in pain i hope you find the happiness you searched for. One day the world well be the way you wished to see.

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Texadar
Misty Moonsilver
holidazedV2

THIS

Generally the mass media industry as a whole don't report on suicides because the fear of copycats.

The only reason this is being notice is because of the dead man switch she left on her tumblr

and the population of tumblr being ignorant about industry safety recommendations

Finally a decent answer!
But what's this about industry safety recommendations???
HMS Thunder Child
UF6
Fuzery

RIP Leelah
Slacktivism at its best.
I like the part where you proposed a more meaningful alternative.

Which isn't to say that someone can only do one thing, which is what you're implying. Petitions are complimentary to other forms of activism, but please, do tell how you think the OP can be a better activist.

Bonus points if you convince us you actually care about trans people at all.

I like that part as well since the actual answer is one best not given when it's already known. Since you inquire more then not caring, for what will amount to many other deaths before there's actual change in your country on a federal level, I have some.

Actual protesting rather then being a messenger that spreads the word and sits on the fence to make others protest for you (this is a classic example of the free riding). Ask your state senator to support a bill for protection on gender identity; aid in them on mental health, physical health, and operation.

As a misanthropists I care for none.

Big Noob

Maybe people have become so jaded that they always need a new twist for their concern? Which culture/demographic would have their martyred saint or call to arms next? Fetishists?
Misty Moonsilver
MiameMiame
Misty Moonsilver
MiameMiame
Misty Moonsilver
MiameMiame

I'm not being defensive......I just hate when we act as if something is rare like this. Suicide is not rare. I just can't understand why this person's death (suicide) is making headlines so much.
Example: countless black women have committed suicide this year. None of them made headlines. Black women have to live with ignorance too. What's the difference? People kill themselves all the time. It's EQUALLY sad. This person's life is not worth more than the others' who have committed suicide.

This made the news because of the actual circumstances of her family situation and how trans rights need to be advocated. There's a lot more word going around about depression and other mental illnesses that would drive a person to commit suicide but many trans people do not know where to go especially in Leelah's situation where she was taken out of school to go to a religious "conversion" therapy by her parents and also not getting the respect she needed given by them especially during a transition. What you've thrown at the table was like going to a person's funeral service and yelling "OTHER PEOPLE DIED TOO! HE/SHE DOESN'T DESERVE RECOGNITION"

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

That's rather sad. sad It's even more sad that she died believing that her death would make a difference - because even in death, it didn't. Her parents still referred to her as "he" and their "son". They'd never accepted her for who she really was, and they never will.

Our family members, especially our parents, are mostly never going to let go of their expectations of us. We can't wholly expect them to either, because then we'd also be just as guilty of having similarly difficult expectations of them. Whether we die or not, it won't change the world. Our death won't mean anything; things usually would just go on as it is.

Staying alive and fighting for our beliefs tends to help facilitate these changes a little more. I wish she did. But you know, what's done's done. I hope she's resting in peace. It must've been very painful for her. Contemplating death isn't easy.

Lavish Husband

This story touches me, being agendered, previously considered transgendered.

I feel a lot of things reading this.
My own hopeless feelings when no one understood,
empathy to everyone involved with the death,
and regret knowing what most of the comments are going to say.

My hope is for future strides in equality and understanding.

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
Murder Toys
To be honest I don't have a lot of sympathy. How she committed suicide is irresponsible she could of killed/hurt other people with actions. Its sad that she felt alone and a outcast but that doesn't justify her actions.

That, coupled with the fact she left a note saying she wanted her death to mean something, like she wanted to become some sort of martyr. I'm struggling to sympathise myself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff