Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Judgment against alleged Fla. bully surprises everyone

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - After a violent attack on a middle school student in Jacksonville, a judge said he'd seen enough.

He banned the teenage attacker from the area's public schools, but that decision put school officials in an unusual position.

Two months ago, Aria Jewett was lured into a fight near her middle school.

"I tried to walk away," Jewett said. "I didn't even know it was coming."

The cell phone video of the assault is hard to watch. Her attacker, another 14-year-old eighth grader, slammed Jewett's head into a stone wall. After she fell, defenseless, the attacker sat down and beat her repeatedly. Jewett estimates 30 kids watched.

"She had everyone else videotape it," Jewett said. "She had the girl bring me over there. She probably had this planned."

Jewett suffered a fractured skull. Her attacker was arrested for aggravated assault, and removed permanently from Oceanway Middle School in Jacksonville.

Jewett said her attacker has a history of videotaped assaults like this. She claims to have seen five of them, "and she still never got expelled or anything."

Jewett's family asked Florida circuit Judge Henry Davis to protect their daughter. His ruling about the attacker surprised even them.

"This child is a threat to all of the children at any school. The injunction is a permanent injunction barring this child from returning to any public school in Duval County," Davis wrote in his ruling.

But the school district's superintendent, Nikolai Vitti, said the judge went too far.

"I don't think we should use the bad decision that children make outside of school as an example or scapegoat to make a message," Vitti said.

Nikolai Vitti says public education is a constitutional right, and all 130,000 students in Duval County's public schools deserve second, even third chances.

"I believe the perpetrator should be provided the same opportunity," Vitti said. "It's a tough decision, but my role as superintendent is to support the law."

A lawyer for Jewett's attacker told CBS News in a statement: "Our goal is to return our client, a child, to a public school so she can complete her studies for this academic year."

Just last week, a Florida appeals court suspended the order banning her from all Duval County schools. She could be back in class on Monday.

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
That girl who filmed beating the crap out of random students shouldn't be able to go to school. Stupid judge letting her come back to school, the judge would hate it if her/his daughter was beaten so bad as that other girl by the girl who filmed the fight on them.

Feral Nymph

Notorious Sailor Uranus
That girl who filmed beating the crap out of random students shouldn't be able to go to school. Stupid judge letting her come back to school, the judge would hate it if her/his daughter was beaten so bad as that other girl by the girl who filmed the fight on them.

Actually, it's the judge that laid down the deserved sentence. It's the school's superintendent who backed down and let her come back, because I'm sure it won't happen again this time. rolleyes

Aged Lunatic

Dear Superintendent; Does it really, REALLY look like this student is going to go to school to learn again?

Vitti, you piece of s**t, the next kid this little felon injures...or kills...their blood is going to be on your hands as well. Here's to hoping she's being watched like a damn hawk given that her history ain't exactly a secret now.
I agree with the original judges decision. And guess what? There are other opportunities for her to learn that don't involve putting other kids in danger. In fact, since she is in Florida she can complete her studies online for FREE. OR her parents could move her to a different district. The judge did not ban her from all schools, just the schools in that county.

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Superintendant person! This girl gave Jewett a fractured skull! Stop the bullshit pandering to the attacker and keep up with the Judge's order to keep said attacker away from other kids!

Feral Kitten

10,450 Points
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Partygoer 500
The attacker's parents must be so proud of their child XP

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
The attacker should be in prison on attempted murder charges and 1st degree assault. Parents should also pay the medical bills. maybe then...

As for the Superintendent, a constitutional right to education. it does NOT necessarily mean in school or any particular school or in any particular - need I go on? Maybe the superintendent would like to pay the medical bills of every victim of this bully?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Pessimist
Notorious Sailor Uranus

Actually, it's the judge that laid down the deserved sentence. It's the school's superintendent who backed down and let her come back, because I'm sure it won't happen again this time. rolleyes

I'm pretty sure she meant the OTHER judge. The one presiding over the appeals court.
But the superintendent is culpable too IMO.

"Just last week, a Florida appeals court suspended the order banning her from all Duval County schools. She could be back in class on Monday."

Kawaii Bunny

The judge makes a sensible decision, and then some idiot has to ruin it. What about all the other kids who will have to be in school with her?

Maybe the judge should put her in jail next time. They've probably got some sort of classroom in jail, and that way the superintendant can't whine about it.

Tipsy Smoker

Everyone in this thread so far heart heart

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Nikolai Vitti says public education is a constitutional right, and all 130,000 students in Duval County's public schools deserve second, even third chances.

Someone should explain to that idiot that constitutional rights are circumstantial.
The constitution guarantees us life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. (and yes, I know that particular wording is from the Declaration of Independence - I'm talking about the general concepts)
But if what makes us happy is killing innocents society can and often does take away all three of those.

A child that repeatedly severely beats up other children is either criminal or mental or both.
Lock her up in the appropriate facility and let her do her school assignments there. Those other kids are supposed to get an education too and it's harder to learn with your skull split open.

If they wont expel her for putting other kids in the hospital maybe someone should plant a plastic toy gun on her or claim they heard her utter any of the words like 'bang', 'shoot' or 'bomb'. Seems like these days that gets you expelled even if real violence won't.

Mega Cutie-Pie

I disagree with pretty much everyone.
Even if the kid beats the s**t out of another kid, banning them from every school in the county is unfair and unconstitutional. The kid has a right to an education, not just the people you say deserve it.
This kid obviously has some aggression issues that need to be worked out.
Really ******** ridiculous that you folks have to outcast the ones who really need help.

This is why I don't take the anti-bullying trend seriously.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:

If you've ever wondered why the police always have to get involved with school bullies. Idiots like THIS superintendent are why. Jackasses like this have their priorities a** backwards and shouldn't be in charge of kids.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff