Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fluffy Loiterer

Source

Quote:
A computer analysis of nearly 2 million text messages (tweets) on the online social network Twitter found that Christians use more positive words, fewer negative words and engage in less analytical thinking than atheists. Christians also were more likely than atheists to tweet about their social relationships, the researchers found.

"Whether religious people experience more or less happiness is an important question in itself," the authors of the new analysis wrote. "But to truly understand how religion and happiness are related we must also understand why the two may be related."

To identify Christian and atheist Twitter users, the researchers studied the tweets of more than 16,000 followers of a few prominent Christian and atheist personalities on Twitter. They analyzed the tweets for their emotional content (the use of more positive or negative words), the frequency of words (such as "friend" and "brother" ) that are related to social processes, and the frequency of their use of words (such as "because" and "think" ) that are associated with an analytical thinking style.

Overall, tweets by Christians had more positive and less negative content than tweets by atheists, the researchers report. A less analytical thinking style among Christians and more frequent use of social words were correlated with the use of words indicating positive emotions, the researchers also said.

"If religious people are indeed happier than nonreligious people, differences in social support and thinking style may help to explain why," said University of Illinois graduate student Ryan Ritter, who conducted the research with U. of I. psychology professor Jesse Preston and graduate student Ivan Hernandez.

The findings are also in line with other studies linking greater levels of social connectedness to higher well-being, Ritter said.

"Religious communities are very social. Just being a member of a religious group connects people to others, and it may be this social connection that can make people happier," Preston said. "On the other hand, atheists had a more analytical thinking style in their tweets than Christians, which at extremes can make people less happy."

Previous research has found a positive association between religion and well-being among Buddhists, Hindus, Christians and Muslims. But most such studies rely on individuals to report how satisfied they are with their lives or their experience of positive and negative emotions at a given time.

"What's great about Twitter is that people are reporting their experiences -- good or bad -- as they occur," Preston said. "As researchers, we do not need to ask them how they feel because they are already telling us."

Christians appear to be happier than atheists on Twitter, but the authors caution that the results are correlational and "this does not mean atheists are unhappy overall or doomed to be miserable," Preston said. "If religion improves happiness indirectly through other factors, those benefits could also be found outside religious groups."
I mean, christians are not the only people who post positive tweets. I know jewish people who are very positive as well with their tweets.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
It could be that unhappy people tend to leave religion as a direct result of that unhappiness and bring the average down for those of us who just plain don't believe. Just a fleeting thought.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
With all the "God bless you" phrases out there, I'm not surprised.

Loyal Exhibitionist

However, if something "bad" happens to them, such as, oh, DOMA and Prop 8 being declined they can become quite nasty. -.-;;

It just makes me ashamed of them.

Devoted Hunter

Ringoringa
It could be that unhappy people tend to leave religion as a direct result of that unhappiness and bring the average down for those of us who just plain don't believe. Just a fleeting thought.

Unhappy? Have you ever thought that being an atheist may make people happy?
There are atheists who aren't 12-year-old boys that act like jackasses on the Internet.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
It's easy to be positive when one is blind to suffering.

Heh... I do this same thing to myself too often.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Umeko the Lamb
Ringoringa

Unhappy? Have you ever thought that being an atheist may make people happy?
There are atheists who aren't 12-year-old boys that act like jackasses on the Internet.

Ma'am, I AM an atheist. I apologize if what I meant wasn't clear. My intention was to say that there are a lot of people who start off as religious, and then stop believing in God simply by virtue of the fact that they're so miserable that they figure a kind and merciful God can't exist. They're not the majority, but they may certainly bring down the average for those of us who were atheists to begin with.

Greedy Consumer

Ringoringa
It was devastating to realize religion was not correct, and that alone doomed me to unhappiness, how bullshit, just cuz I got a brain xd lol
religion overall, just because they have more positive words, doesn't mean they are the most successful or good for the world, they might also be more prone to angry outbursts. So, yeah. Idk though, I don't have that technology do I?

On twitter is there an advanced search option?
EDIT: also nice words can be used to say and do some VERY nasty things

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:
Christians use more positive words, fewer negative words and engage in less analytical thinking than atheists. Christians also were more likely than atheists to tweet about their social relationships, the researchers found.

So *bout to start a controversy over huuuur* ignorance is bliss?

That is all I got out of this story. Oh yeah, did they take into account all the context? I know people who say "god bless you" in a condescending tone so they can feel like the better person at the end of a fight.

Greedy Consumer

I got a very easy study anybody can do.

Type on google 'im an upset Christian you get over 20million results, if you type im an upset atheist you get 10million

All I need to do is use more keywords such as angry instead of upset, or Christian conspiracy theorist vs atheist conspiracy theorist.

but that could be a bad result because there might be more Christians than atheists

so then I need to do just as much positive words.

And if the conclusion suggests that Christians may use more positive words, but are more manipulative or deceitful....

Naw there'll still be more good Christians than bad simple because of word choice, but because of twitter, I figured more people would fake it for apearances1
or 2 ...

Anyways the only fast way to find out which group is the best I need to see which group is more cautious of taking wrong actions, or performing more wrong actions.

*googles*

'I made a mistake' 326 million
Christian came to be 50 million
atheist 8 million

'I made a correct action' 688million
atheist 34.5 million results.
370million for Christian

'atheist' got 26.5million
'Christian' got 948 million results

'I worry about making mistakes' 13million
atheist 2.57million
Christian 2.24million

good grades 77.1mill
atheist 1.51mill
Christian 2.89 mill

im a rich atheist 2.25mill
im a rich Christian 93.6mill

I live with no regrets 78.4million
atheist 187 million!!!!
Christian 24.2million

honest 243 million
Christian 65.1million
atheist 5.54

im a Christian 387million
im an atheist 6.46million

I hate atheists 5,24mill
I hate Christians (I wonder why only Christian is capitalized with my ******** spell checker -.- and not atheist, this is ******** bullshit already) 30.5mill

Christians are wrong 60.8mill
atheists are wrong 7.05mill

ive been told im not good enough 170million
atheist 3.63mill
Christian 25.9mill

I ask a lot of questions 556mill
im a Christian who asks a lot of questions 206mill
im an atheist who asks a lot of questions 43.4mill

'an' 11.87 billion
'a' 25.27 billion

I wasted my money 39.1million
im an atheist who wasted money 21.1mill
im a Christian who wasted money 17mill

I bought scratch tickets 54.8mill
im an atheist who bought scratch tickets 17.2
im a christian who bought scratch tickets 34.4mill

im a poor atheist 5.86mill
im a poor Christian 104mill

im a bad Christian 386mill
im a bad atheist 25.3mill

im a stupid atheist 8.06mill
im a stupid Christian 63.8

im a smart Christian 105mill
im a smart atheist 3.92mill

others call me a smart atheist 1.28
others call me a smart Christian 10.9

they tricked me 33.6
they tricked me im Christian 43.5mill
they tricked me im atheist 27.1mill

my name is Christian 248mill
im Christian my name isnt 540mill

the name Christian 1.09 billion
the thing Christian 454mill

atheism 15.8 mill
Christianity 79mill
(I hate auto-correct being prejudiced -.- it didn't do it just because its a person's name, wtf, it seriously doesn't capitalize atheist)

Christianity is hypocritical 1.33mill
atheism is hypocritical 6.19mill

anti-atheism 7.07mill
anti-Christian 174mill

Imma stop, idk how to analyze this other than comparing ratios, there are only a few interesting results, and note I searched without apostrophes. I might compare ratios later.

Greedy Consumer

I should've just checked on google trends XD

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
We Are Organisms

Type on google 'im an upset Christian you get over 20million results, if you type im an upset atheist you get 10million

All I need to do is use more keywords such as angry instead of upset, or Christian conspiracy theorist vs atheist conspiracy theorist.

but that could be a bad result because there might be more Christians than atheists

And if the conclusion suggests that Christians may use more positive words, but are more manipulative or deceitful....

Naw there'll still be more good Christians than bad simple because of word choice, but because of twitter, I figured more people would fake it for apearances1
or 2 ...

Anyways the only fast way to find out which group is the best I need to see which group is more cautious of taking wrong actions, or performing more wrong actions.

*googles*

atheist 8 million

370million for Christian

atheist 2.57million
Christian 2.24million

good grades 77.1mill
atheist 1.51mill
Christian 2.89 mill

atheist 187 million!!!!
Christian 24.2million

honest 243 million
Christian 65.1million
atheist 5.54

I hate atheists 5,24mill
I hate Christians (I wonder why only Christian is capitalized with my ******** spell checker -.- and not atheist, this is ******** bullshit already) 30.5mill

atheist 3.63mill
Christian 25.9mill

'an' 11.87 billion
'a' 25.27 billion

they tricked me 33.6

atheism 15.8 mill
Christianity 79mill
(I hate auto-correct being prejudiced -.- it didn't do it just because its a person's name, wtf, it seriously doesn't capitalize atheist)

anti-atheism 7.07mill
anti-Christian 174mill

Imma stop, idk how to analyze this other than comparing ratios, there are only a few interesting results, and note I searched without apostrophes. I might compare ratios later.

We also can't forget the dramatic difference in the number of Christians to Atheists.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
We Are Organisms

or 2 ...

*googles*

atheist 8 million

370million for Christian

atheist 2.57million
Christian 2.24million

good grades 77.1mill
atheist 1.51mill
Christian 2.89 mill

atheist 187 million!!!!
Christian 24.2million

honest 243 million
Christian 65.1million
atheist 5.54

I hate atheists 5,24mill

atheist 3.63mill
Christian 25.9mill

'an' 11.87 billion
'a' 25.27 billion

they tricked me 33.6

atheism 15.8 mill
Christianity 79mill

anti-atheism 7.07mill
anti-Christian 174mill

Your spelling checker is correct, Christian is capitalized because it is derived from the name Christ which is a proper noun. (The name of an individual , real or fictional is a proper noun)

Atheism on the other hand does not get capitalized (except at the beginning of a sentence) because the words atheism or atheist are not derived from proper nouns.

Greedy Consumer

Alexander J Luthor
We Are Organisms

or 2 ...

*googles*

atheist 8 million

370million for Christian

atheist 2.57million
Christian 2.24million

good grades 77.1mill
atheist 1.51mill
Christian 2.89 mill

atheist 187 million!!!!
Christian 24.2million

honest 243 million
Christian 65.1million
atheist 5.54

I hate atheists 5,24mill

atheist 3.63mill
Christian 25.9mill

'an' 11.87 billion
'a' 25.27 billion

they tricked me 33.6

atheism 15.8 mill
Christianity 79mill

anti-atheism 7.07mill
anti-Christian 174mill

We also can't forget the dramatic difference in the number of Christians to Atheists.
I figured that out in spoiler lol. I even figured out an atheist and a Christian would be biased by the words an and a so I had to search those separately to see which values came up but I didn't do that with every word. And A came up more of course xd I forget how much more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff