Welcome to Gaia! ::

Popular Phantom

10,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Quote:
HOUSTON, TX- It's sounds like an oversight, or some cruel clerical error.

But it's actually the law.

For more than a decade, a Houston man has been forced to pay for a child, that DNA proves is not his.

"I've been paying child support for about 13-years now," explained Willie Carson.

What's unusual about a parent paying child support?

Well, these DNA test results show there is a 0.00% probability of paternity.

That means Carson isn't the dad of the 13-year old girl in question.

"I've never seen the child. I never spoke to the child. I don't know what the child looks like," Carson said.

He has paid thousands in child support for the little girl, simply because initially the mother named him as her baby's father.

His paycheck has been garnished for almost 13-years and he's now behind in payments by $21,000.

Carson has battled this case in court for years, and struggles financially because of it.

"There were days that I didn't eat. I went without electricity," he said.

The girl's mom sent a letter to the court saying he isn't her daughter's dad and shouldn't have to pay.

Recently Carson received a letter stating his 401k funds are no longer frozen, and he no longer has to pay child support.

Carson is due back here in court on Monday, where he's hoping this 13 year fight will finally be over.

This happens so often the issue is among the Texas Attorney General's office frequently asked questions.

According to the attorney general, even after dismissing a mistaken dad's duty to pay child support, he is "still responsible for arrears," or any back money owed.

This is bullshit
To be honest child support is a bad idea. Like so many things it sounds so good on paper but in reality it basically guarantees fights, tension, misery, unhappiness and resentment on both sides. It's "never enough" for the woman who receives it, even celebrity wives receiving 50, 60, 70 thousand a month want more which leads to resentment. There's no accounting on where it goes to ensure that it goes to the child, which leads to more resentment from many men who know that the woman is using it for her own junk and purchases. And it's not tied to visitation so men are often paying for a child without any benefit.

More couples could likely co-parent properly and civilly if money (child support) were not an issue.

What happened to him isn't that rare. It's sad.

Kawaii Shoujo

What the hell is up with that system? After tests proven that he didn't father the child he still had to pay child support? What I don't understand is why the attorney general stated that Carson is still responsible for having to pay despite it being dismissed.
fairy-phoenix
What the hell is up with that system? After tests proven that he didn't father the child he still had to pay child support? What I don't understand is why the attorney general stated that Carson is still responsible for having to pay despite it being dismissed.

Likely because the government will do pretty much anything to avoid paying for a child. That's the only reason they go after "deadbeat" fathers. It has nothing to do with goodness or morals or ethics. They usually don't care and won't even try until the woman signs up for welfare at which point they go "Ohhhhh no! No way!" and chase him down and garnish him into homelessness and poverty. They don't care if civil rights are violated so long as they're not on the hook for the child.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Kitsune Muggy
Quote:
HOUSTON, TX- It's sounds like an oversight, or some cruel clerical error.

But it's actually the law.

For more than a decade, a Houston man has been forced to pay for a child, that DNA proves is not his.

"I've been paying child support for about 13-years now," explained Willie Carson.

What's unusual about a parent paying child support?

Well, these DNA test results show there is a 0.00% probability of paternity.

That means Carson isn't the dad of the 13-year old girl in question.

"I've never seen the child. I never spoke to the child. I don't know what the child looks like," Carson said.

He has paid thousands in child support for the little girl, simply because initially the mother named him as her baby's father.

His paycheck has been garnished for almost 13-years and he's now behind in payments by $21,000.

Carson has battled this case in court for years, and struggles financially because of it.

"There were days that I didn't eat. I went without electricity," he said.

The girl's mom sent a letter to the court saying he isn't her daughter's dad and shouldn't have to pay.

Recently Carson received a letter stating his 401k funds are no longer frozen, and he no longer has to pay child support.

Carson is due back here in court on Monday, where he's hoping this 13 year fight will finally be over.

This happens so often the issue is among the Texas Attorney General's office frequently asked questions.

According to the attorney general, even after dismissing a mistaken dad's duty to pay child support, he is "still responsible for arrears," or any back money owed.

This is bullshit

This is nuts! I know someone who is struggling to raise their child because the father refuses to pay child support, It was proven that he is the father and he still pays nothing. Meanwhile the mother works three jobs just to pay the bills and the child walks around with shoes with holes in the toes and gets only one meal a day unless people step in to help. The mother is not spending the money on drugs or anything else but the child and the things the child needs (like electricity, food, water, place to live etc.) So why is it a guy who isn't the day is stuck paying but a guy who is the dad can take a three week vacation to Hawaii and not even give his kid a buck for a cola?

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
Even though he wasn't the dad and was mistakenly paying all along he still has to pay anything he owes? Like HELLOOO! I also don't get the mother. She sounds like she's being all sympathetic but it's her fault to begin with for putting down somebody as the father who obviously wasn't. I guess I just don't know how it works in that state. Where I grew up they didn't garnish pay or do that other stuff unless the mother/father complained that their spouse wasn't paying or if there were arguments about the amount being paid. So I feel like she instigated this and just started backing off when he got a test for paternity. Poor guy, and he doesn't get his money back at all? All that money that was wrongfully taken from him...
He should probably sue his lawyer for incompetence. After that, he should sue the state with his new lawyer.

Galactic Shapeshifter

Seriously messed up. As soon as the kid is out she should have to pay all that money back to him. Honestly I can't imagine what kind of hell that guy is going through for that selfish woman's lie.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
I have family who pay child support, and its a FIGHT to even have the dad see his kids, but its not a fight to have her drop them off at his house at nine in the morning with no one there, and the family panicking and having to call the designated baby sitter, moi, to watch them for a few hours. All because someone couldn't be bothered to call ahead, but still wants to keep the kids, even though she doesn't even WANT them. This whole thing is all to spite the father. No really it is. I've read her facebook.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
They Came to Kill GSK
How in the blue ******** is the attorney general justifying this?! scream

You should be calling bullshit on this, since it's a story of a man getting the short end of the stick in a world where men dominate. You've argued multiple times that a man can't be seen as a disposable source of income, so how do you reconcile this case of that very thing happening with your previous stance?

Popular Phantom

10,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Faustine Liem
I have family who pay child support, and its a FIGHT to even have the dad see his kids, but its not a fight to have her drop them off at his house at nine in the morning with no one there, and the family panicking and having to call the designated baby sitter, moi, to watch them for a few hours. All because someone couldn't be bothered to call ahead, but still wants to keep the kids, even though she doesn't even WANT them. This whole thing is all to spite the father. No really it is. I've read her facebook.

She does not realize what she is doing to those kids then. Nor would it surprise me if she did not care.

There is emotional trauma associated with using kids against their fathers like that.

Tactical Trickster

35,200 Points
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Skilled Decorator 100
  • Tree's the Season 100
It's just a shame that they didn't get this issue straightened out sooner! emotion_facepalm
This poor guy could have been saved from all that unnecessary suffering!

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I've heard that in some states, if you are married to a woman and she gives birth, that kid is automatically legally yours no matter who the real father is.

But I've never even heard of s**t like this before.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff