Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A man suspected of snatching a 3-year-old girl through the window of her family’s Newhall apartment was charged Monday with burglary, kidnapping and attempted kidnapping, authorities said. .

After taking the screen off the apartment window Thursday, Ethan Odom, 37, allegedly abducted the girl, said Sarah Ardalani, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.

The girl’s older sister witnessed the kidnapping and yelled for her father, prosecutors said. After calling 911, the kidnapped girl’s father and uncle began to search for her and eventually located her in Odom’s arms, prosecutors said.

Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies arrested Odom and returned the 3-year-old girl to her family, prosecutors said.

More here

Undead Enchantress

Whew. Close call there.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Heard about this

"I was gonna return her".

I dunno who the hell this guy thinks he is or who he was gonna return her to...

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Surprised they let him live...

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Why the charge of 'attempted kidnapping'? Seems like he managed to do it all the way.
authorities found the man alive? i would kill somebody for taking my child from her bed

Gaian

JamesWN
You're surprised someone actually acted rationally and called the people whose job it is to catch dangerous criminals instead of enacting some twisted vigilante fantasy and exacting a blood toll from the kidnapper?

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Ratttking
Why the charge of 'attempted kidnapping'? Seems like he managed to do it all the way.

It's attempted because he didn't get very far to his area so he could do....ugh..it's also because he was caught and probably had his a** beaten for it.

If it was a full-kidnapping, the child would've been at the house and illegally held there for awhile probably before a murder happens. That would be full-blown kid-napping and if you add the murder charge, capital murder or first degree murder.

Thankfully she didn't lose her life here so it's kind of all good.

It makes me wonder what this sicko was going to do once he got away....I don't wanna indulge further into that spectrum.
Put him down. Permanently

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Lulamoon Sage
JamesWN
You're surprised someone actually acted rationally and called the people whose job it is to catch dangerous criminals instead of enacting some twisted vigilante fantasy and exacting a blood toll from the kidnapper?
People are not prone to acting rationally when others do bad things to their children.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Reiko Iwamaru
Ratttking

It's attempted because he didn't get very far to his area so he could do....ugh..it's also because he was caught and probably had his a** beaten for it.

If it was a full-kidnapping, the child would've been at the house and illegally held there for awhile probably before a murder happens. That would be full-blown kid-napping and if you add the murder charge, capital murder or first degree murder.

It makes me wonder what this sicko was going to do once he got away....I don't wanna indulge further into that spectrum.
I don't see how this was not a full on kidnapping. She was abducted by force, which is the textbook definition of the term.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Ratttking
Reiko Iwamaru
Ratttking

I don't see how this was not a full on kidnapping. She was abducted by force, which is the textbook definition of the term.
They also included the charge of kidnapping-I guess the reason they included both is about the jury's decision whether the length of the abduction was long enough to constitute kidnapping. The legal definition of kidnapping is vague

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Ratttking
Reiko Iwamaru
Ratttking

Because even though she was taken by force, it can still be viewed as attempted since he didn't get to the "other side". Yeah, he took her, but if the girl was caught with him and rescued from him then it's attempted because the bad guy did not get to the "other side". His "other side" is the criminal's domain (such as his house or some other area) where he could unleash his sick twisted fantasies. Because that didn't happen, and she was rescued before it could, it was charged as an attempt. Now if the person had made to that other side but still lived, then the full-blown kidnapping charge could be given.

Even though the abducted by force is the textbook definition of it, it honestly just varies.

We'll have to see until the court date and hear what the jurors have to saw. o3o

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Reiko Iwamaru
Ratttking
Reiko Iwamaru
Ratttking

Because even though she was taken by force, it can still be viewed as attempted since he didn't get to the "other side". Yeah, he took her, but if the girl was caught with him and rescued from him then it's attempted because the bad guy did not get to the "other side". His "other side" is the criminal's domain (such as his house or some other area) where he could unleash his sick twisted fantasies. Because that didn't happen, and she was rescued before it could, it was charged as an attempt. Now if the person had made to that other side but still lived, then the full-blown kidnapping charge could be given.

Even though the abducted by force is the textbook definition of it, it honestly just varies.

We'll have to see until the court date and hear what the jurors have to saw. o3o
Then why did they also charge him with full-on kidnapping if you feel it did not meet the criteria? It seems unnecessary to pile on additional charges, as if they're afraid none of them will stick.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Ratttking
Reiko Iwamaru
Ratttking
Reiko Iwamaru
Ratttking

Then why did they also charge him with full-on kidnapping if you feel it did not meet the criteria? It seems unnecessary to pile on additional charges, as if they're afraid none of them will stick.

Wait, they charged him with full-on kidnapping? emotion_facepalm I COMPLETELY missed that part.

Welp. time to go read what I feel like I missed. emotion_facepalm I thought they charged him with attempted kidnapping. Yeah gonna go re-read.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff