Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
The toy aisle, as we've discussed many times, is so thoroughly divided by gender it's like walking onto the set of some heavy-handed Star Trek episode about the folly of prejudice. Well, one store is a little less stereotype-driven today, thanks to one little girl's very annoyed face.

BuzzFeed reports (h/t The Daily Dot) that seven-year-old Maggie and her mother were cruising their local Tesco when they came upon a bone-headed sign advertising a Marvel alarm clock as a fun gift—for boys, specifically. Maggie, a dedicated comics fan, was not impressed. Maggie made this face:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Pretty sure literally every member of the Jezebel staff makes this face at least once a week. (Conservative estimate.) Maggie gets it. She spotted the sign, according to her mom, and huffed, "Well that's wrong! Anybody can like superheroes, they're being stupid aren't they?"

They sure are, Maggie! But they wised up once the photo started going viral, promising to pull the sign. "This alarm clock would make a great gift for both girls and boys. The sign has been removed and we're sorry if it caused any confusion," a Tesco spokesperson told BuzzFeed.

Little Girl Fights Gendered Toys One Look of Disgust at a Time

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Good for her and good for mom letting her play with whatever makes her happy. I grew up playing with Barbie and Tranformers, the Tranformers were my toys not my brother. If they stopped strictly marketing to boys or girls they can sell so many more toys.

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
who the heck gifts an alarm clock? eek But that look is gonna spawn a new meme..

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
salsadipluva
who the heck gifts an alarm clock? eek But that look is gonna spawn a new meme..

I'm guessing it talks.

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
that girl looks like an offspring of gollum & some random blonde
Malee
Good for her and good for mom letting her play with whatever makes her happy. I grew up playing with Barbie and Tranformers, the Tranformers were my toys not my brother. If they stopped strictly marketing to boys or girls they can sell so many more toys.
Sadly they found they can sell more by marketing separately. Pretending females and males are different species allows them to sell more of the same thing. It is why so many products do it.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Krissim Klaw
Malee
Good for her and good for mom letting her play with whatever makes her happy. I grew up playing with Barbie and Transformers, the Transformers were my toys not my brother. If they stopped strictly marketing to boys or girls they can sell so many more toys.
Sadly they found they can sell more by marketing separately. Pretending females and males are different species allows them to sell more of the same thing. It is why so many products do it.

True but it seems as more parents are embracing gender neutral raising of their children I can always have hope. But even as adult I fall into the that gender marketing for stuff that is for myself.
This should not be breaking news, this is just ridiculous.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Owchy crying
This should not be breaking news, this is just ridiculous.

This forum is just in the news, not breaking news. There is a difference.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Krissim Klaw
Malee

My boyfriend uses women's brand dove deodorant. Why? It was the only deodorant in the store that wasn't scented. Also, I prefer using men's razors. They seem ... better for some reason?

5,350 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Well, I would too when I found about that when i like a male character.

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Malee
salsadipluva

I'm guessing it talks.

Maybe but it looks a lot like a normal analog clock with double bells to me. Still a boring gift choice.. neutral

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
I can understand that face. The Gender roles do come off a bit unfair. Im a huge comic book lover and supporter. But it does come off that comic books and being into superheroes are more of a boy thing. Which is a bummer because girls dig that stuff too, I know that I do.
Its usually just best to state, "great gift for a fan" and avoid gender describing words altogether to avoid hurt feelings.

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
I agree completely with the little girl. Now just start selling t-shirts for both genders not the low cut t-shirts solely for girls. It is kind of a double standard when they do have girl superheroes but not one t-shirt that's cool unless you are a boy. They had this awesome pair of pajama pants but they were solely for boys.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff