Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Student

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/26/knockout-game-attack-leads-to-hate-crime-charge/4214133/
HOUSTON (AP) — A white Houston-area man was arrested Thursday on federal hate crimes charges for allegedly shooting video of himself sucker-punching a 79-year-old black man in a "knockout game"-style attack.

Conrad Alvin Barrett, 27, made a brief appearance before U.S. Magistrate Judge Frances Stacy, who scheduled a detention hearing for the Katy man on Friday.

According to prosecutors, the attack happened Nov. 24 in Katy, but it wasn't until 12 days later that authorities connected the attack to the cellphone video of it.

Authorities learned of the case because Barrett allegedly showed the video on the night of the attack to an off-duty arson investigator he had just met at a restaurant in nearby Folshear. According to the criminal complaint, Barrett asked the off-duty investigator and the woman with the investigator if they knew about the knockout game. He told them he played earlier that day, then showed them the video, prosecutors allege.

The investigator then flagged down a uniformed officer across the street and led him to Barrett.

The attack video doesn't show Barrett's face, but investigators matched his voice to the voice in the video and the couple at the restaurant told investigators that Barrett was wearing the same shorts and shoes at the person who shot the video.

According to prosecutors, the video shows Barrett approach the victim and ask, "How's it going, man?" A "loud smack" is then heard, the victim falls to the ground, Barrett laughs and says, "Knockout." The assailant then flees in his vehicle.

The victim lost three teeth and needed surgery to repair his jaw, which had been broken in two places. He was hospitalized for more than four days, authorities said.

Investigators retrieved other videos from Barrett's phone, including some in which he uses racial epithets and talks about trying to work up the courage to play the knockout game, the complaint states. In one, Barrett says: "That plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"

U.S. Attorney Kenneth Magidson said Thursday that such crimes won't be tolerated.

"Evidence of hate crimes will be vigorously investigated and prosecuted with the assistance of all our partners to the fullest extent of the law," Magidson said.

Barrett's attorney, George Parnham, said Barrett has bipolar disorder and has been prescribed heavy medications to treat it. He said Barrett's family "feels horribly sympathetic" for the person who was attacked.

"When you start peeling back the layers of the onion and look at the mindset behind the action you soon realize there's a mental issue," said Parnham, who added that he's trying to gather as much information about Barrett's mental health as possible.

If convicted of the hate crime charge, Barrett could be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison and fined up to $250,000.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Mental issue? Give me a break! They do it for the fun of it! One attacker somewhere else confessed he did it because "he was bored". (courtesy of CBS)
Quote:
"That plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"

So they go and make it news. Good job media, good job.

Dapper Dabbler

8,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Always hear about this happening. It is a really terrible trend.

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
I hate this trend. That poor 79 year old man.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Shama_okami
Quote:
"That plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"

So they go and make it news. Good job media, good job.

I will say it again

Mental issue? Give me a break!

Or should I say... Yeah right. As mental as my ugly arse.

Magical Seeker

3,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
This man is 27 years old! Why the hell is he doing this? I keep hearing that teens are doing this, but this guy is almost 30! I don't understand. I hope they get him off the streets and into prison for a long time - what a leech to society.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
:/ i never understood why anyone would want to "knock-out" a random stranger for fun. it's so stupid, does any of these idiots realize they are committing assault and can due time for that.

Wintry Dragon

I hope this trend ends soon. I don't even understand how it got this rampant in the first place.

Dangerous Citizen

Seriously,a 27 year old guy can't not attack a 79 old man. it's a bad world from here, but since he's going jail or fine payday; might well just given up and wait another age of 40 to release at prison.

People out their, stop killing people. It's the devils playground...world needs to stop!

Virtuous Cleric

3,675 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
this game has gotten people killed...both victim and assailant...its all fun and games until someone gets killed...THEN and only then are you sorry....but by that time its too late. with it being Texas there going to ******** this guy....he battered someone 60+ and a hate crime? I hope when the officer working detention took him to the bull-pin he announced his crime. PLAYING KNOCK OUT KINGS WITH A 79 YR OLD BLACK MAN...pushes him in and slams the sally-port

Wealthy Citizen

7,925 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100
Still waiting for a response from Reverend Jesse Jackson

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Need I repeat that this "knockout game" is merely the latest media sensationalized moral panic? It's not real, and it's racist to keep insisting that it is, and just because we're switching the races involved doesn't make it any less fake or any less racist.

Kitten

Cold Sandstorm
This man is 27 years old! Why the hell is he doing this? I keep hearing that teens are doing this, but this guy is almost 30! I don't understand. I hope they get him off the streets and into prison for a long time - what a leech to society.
That was my reaction. I thought kids doing it was bad, and now adults too. What the hell is the world coming to.

Furthermore. Did the idiot not realize that if he could of ended up killing the poor old man? And if he had he'd be spending even more time in prison, where he'd probably end getting raped or killed for doing something so ******** retarded to someone who who is worse off then he.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff