Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Kansas Supreme Court Affirms Rights of Non-Biological Parents

A lesbian wins rights to the two children she helped raise with her former partner.

The Kansas Supreme Court ruled on Friday that same-sex partners who help raise children are entitled to parental rights.

The case involved Marci Frazier and Kelly Goudschaal, a couple who had two children through insemination. Goudschaal was the biological mother, but both women raised the children. When the couple separated in 2008, the couple attempted to co-parent, but Goudschaal eventually cut off contact from Frazier.

A lower court ruled that Frazier had parental rights to the children, granting joint custody to both women. Goudschaal appealed this order, saying her former partner was not a parent to the children. The high court agreed with the earlier ruling and granted Frazier joint custody and declared that both women should be legally recognized as parents. The court also ruled that agreements to share custody and co-parent are enforceable.

"The Kansas Supreme Court recognized that children with same-sex parents have the same need for stability and protection as children in any other family," Cathy Sakimura, Family Law Director for the National Center for Lesbian Rights, which filed a friend of the court brief on the case, said in a statement. "We are grateful to the court for this thoughtful decision protecting the best interests of children in all families."
I'm am honest to God surprised this is from Kansas. I never would have thought a red state could actually do something like that. It gives me hope honestly.

Friendly Wench

This is very nice heart-warming news. Now more people need to start thinking like this!

Xonked's Senpai

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100
As they should. Same sex families can be as good at taking care of kids as others. Other states should realize this.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Mei tsuki7
I'm am honest to God surprised this is from Kansas. I never would have thought a red state could actually do something like that. It gives me hope honestly.
Our system is more or less thinking about the money.

Shameless Visionary

19,000 Points
  • Master Medic 150
  • Cool Competitor 150
  • Never Give Up 35
Good for the Kansas Supreme Court. Yes, gay and lesbian parents should have the same parental rights as heterosexual parents!

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
xdivision_whitey
Mei tsuki7
Our system is more or less thinking about the money.
Well, wouldn't it be cheaper on the system for 2 parents to bear the responsibility of rearing a child?

Friendly Explorer

7,100 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Loiterer 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Looks like a girl, but she's a flame
So bright, she can burn your eyes
Better look the other way

This is such a nice thing to hear! I wish the rest of the country would learn something from this. smile

You can try but you'll never forget her name
She's on top of the world
Hottest of the hottest girls...

King Noob

it is better if the kid has a family, even if it is not the opposite sex, then no family at all.

This story was cute smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces