Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Wolf

Candy Jelly Love
Nobody Famous
I cannot begin to go into how much names aggravate me nowadays. I've seen people name their kids after cars and brands.

Names can't just be names anymore. They have to be "special" somehow. They have to "mean" something special. Anybody know that Miley Cyrus's birth name was actually Destiny Hope? Or who else heard about the case of the mother wanting to name her kid "Messiah"? Yeah, THAT'S not going to get the kid picked on or beaten up! Not at all! rolleyes

And that's not even getting into the spelling. Amy can't be spelled "A-M-Y", they had to switch the "Y" with an "I". Not so bad, I guess, but then you had others adding an "E" onto that where it's spelled like "Amie". Even saw cases where that wasn't good enough so they added another "E" to spell it like "Amiee". And there are still cases where even THAT wasn't enough so they added an extra "I" to spell it "Aimiee". Parents, stop already! You are dooming that kid to have to spell out their name in just about every conversation for the rest of their life!

Common sense, people! You want to give your kid a meaningful name, fine, but keep in mind that YOU'RE not the one going to have to live with it.

I see nothing wrong with the spelling Ami. Depending on the parents' background, that might be how the name is spelled in their countries. Plus, just because you think it's pronounced a certain way doedn't mean it is. The spelling of Ami is usually a Japanese name, and thus pronounced Ah-mee. But since the spelling is close to the English version, it's why, for example, in the 90s Sailor Moon anime dub, they changed her Japanese name to Amy. And Aimee is the French spelling.

Apparently, you haven't been around many African-American communities. I've seen little girls named Vaseline, but their names are pronounced "VAZ-lynn".

Friendly Bunny

5,950 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Friendly 100
I don't think I'd name my child after a food product or a spread or anything. Maybe after a season or something that sounds pretty (Zephyr, Leo, and Amber-Marie are names I want for any potential children I have), but name them after something foods or even Duchess or Princess? Nope. Naming kids is a big responsibility on the parents because whatever name they choose for their kids will determine how their kids are treated.

I was often confused with a bunch of people with the names Mary or Amanda because Mary-Amanda is my first name, which is why my family nicknamed me Mandy, rather than simplifying it down to Mary or Amanda. I've always had at least two or three Mary's or Amandas either in my classes or in my circle of friends. There was even a girl called Mary Elizabeth who was friends with both me and my cousin who shared her second first name (Elizabeth). LOL. So we all called her Mary-Beth for short while my cousin was called Beth (it was always childhood nickname for her anyways), and I was referred to as my childhood nickname, Mandy. ^^

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Lady Yamamoto
Valiant Corvus
Lady Yamamoto
Valiant Corvus
Lady Yamamoto
Valiant Corvus
What the hell is it their business what they choose to name their kid?

It's not like it has any blatant negative connotations to it.

Would you really want to be named after a hazelnut spread? What if I named my child Great Value Syrup? What if I named my child Miracle Whip Sandwich Spread?
What you choose to name your kids is none of my business, and if I really didn't like my name then I would have had it legally changed once I was eligible.

My half brother did the same thing, it's not a big deal.

So you seriously would have ZERO issue with someone naming their child Diarrhea'Quisha?
Why should I care?

Not my kid, not my business.

But what if it's a really bad word and your child goes to school with them. Wouldn't you be angry if your child comes homes saying the child's name?
Not really.

Kids are going to see and learn bad things regardless of how much people want to put that protective bubble around them.

If the kid comes home saying the word, then it's time to educate them on the meaning and proper usage (as well as time and place). Why should I get angry at someone else if it was my kid that said it and continued to use it improperly?
Luna_Douglas
My parents named me Corinne. Its pronounced KOR-in. I was named after a character in the movie Chances Are. That movie is BIZARRE! Besides, I'm so tired of constantly having to spell my name AND pronounce it a million times, just to have them misspell it and call me Kor-EEEEN.

That's a blast from the past! I grew up with my mom watching that, so I've always loved Chances Are.

Quotable Prophet

Candy Jelly Love
Nobody Famous
I cannot begin to go into how much names aggravate me nowadays. I've seen people name their kids after cars and brands.

Names can't just be names anymore. They have to be "special" somehow. They have to "mean" something special. Anybody know that Miley Cyrus's birth name was actually Destiny Hope? Or who else heard about the case of the mother wanting to name her kid "Messiah"? Yeah, THAT'S not going to get the kid picked on or beaten up! Not at all! rolleyes

And that's not even getting into the spelling. Amy can't be spelled "A-M-Y", they had to switch the "Y" with an "I". Not so bad, I guess, but then you had others adding an "E" onto that where it's spelled like "Amie". Even saw cases where that wasn't good enough so they added another "E" to spell it like "Amiee". And there are still cases where even THAT wasn't enough so they added an extra "I" to spell it "Aimiee". Parents, stop already! You are dooming that kid to have to spell out their name in just about every conversation for the rest of their life!

Common sense, people! You want to give your kid a meaningful name, fine, but keep in mind that YOU'RE not the one going to have to live with it.

I see nothing wrong with the spelling Ami. Depending on the parents' background, that might be how the name is spelled in their countries. Plus, just because you think it's pronounced a certain way doedn't mean it is. The spelling of Ami is usually a Japanese name, and thus pronounced Ah-mee. But since the spelling is close to the English version, it's why, for example, in the 90s Sailor Moon anime dub, they changed her Japanese name to Amy. And Aimee is the French spelling.

Ami, I already knew about. And I can even get that. And Aimee in French is actually "Aimée" and is at least pronounced differently to differentiate it. But why Amee? Or Aimiee?

Quotable Prophet

Ratttking
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous

"Aimee" has been a common spelling for centuries. Believe it or not, French names do not always conform to (the joke that is) English orthography.

But it's also at least pronounced differently in French.
So? Pronunciations - as well as spellings - change over time. My first name is extremely common and sounds nothing like its Welsh antecedent.

You brought up its use of spelling in France. Just saying that it's different in other ways in France as well, so at least that method is expected in the region from which it originates.
I brought up its spelling in French, which is indeed spoken in France, but also by millions of people in America, Canada, Africa, and numerous other places. My friend named Aimee is from New Orleans. Incidentally France also has regional accents, so the name may sound different from place to place there.

It's also supposed to be spelled "Aimée" in French. A number of people in the US aren't even using it out of respect for the original French connotation, they're just adding in a bunch of extra vowels for the sake of making the name look pretty.

Also, I don't understand why you're making this an issue in the first place since I never even brought up the French version of the spelling. I brought up "Amiee" and "Aimiee", neither of which are the French spelling you're talking about.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous

So? Pronunciations - as well as spellings - change over time. My first name is extremely common and sounds nothing like its Welsh antecedent.

You brought up its use of spelling in France. Just saying that it's different in other ways in France as well, so at least that method is expected in the region from which it originates.
I brought up its spelling in French, which is indeed spoken in France, but also by millions of people in America, Canada, Africa, and numerous other places. My friend named Aimee is from New Orleans. Incidentally France also has regional accents, so the name may sound different from place to place there.

It's also supposed to be spelled "Aimée" in French. A number of people in the US aren't even using it out of respect for the original French connotation, they're just adding in a bunch of extra vowels for the sake of making the name look pretty.

Also, I don't understand why you're making this an issue in the first place since I never even brought up the French version of the spelling. I brought up "Amiee" and "Aimiee", neither of which are the French spelling you're talking about.
Did you have fun c/p'ing that? Many systems in this country will not recognize non-alphabetic characters and keyboards do not have the option of using diacritical marks, so leaving out the acute accent is normal and perfectly acceptable in English. No, I did not notice that particular spelling, but you should have pointed it out in your first reply to me rather than arguing about French. And bitching about "Ami" as you did earlier is just stupid.

Quotable Prophet

Ratttking
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous

Did you have fun c/p'ing that? Many systems in this country will not recognize non-alphabetic characters and keyboards do not have the option of using diacritical marks, so leaving out the acute accent is normal and perfectly acceptable in English. No, I did not notice that particular spelling, but you should have pointed it out in your first reply to me rather than arguing about French. And bitching about "Ami" as you did earlier is just stupid.

Now who's bitching? You're the one who didn't even read the first post fully, and now you're covering up by harping on a single point I said wasn't even that bad. But please, go cry more.

Destructive Reveler

Lady Pallas Athena
Good.

I'm tired of parents being selfish morons when it comes to their name picks. If they think the name Tinker Tonker Jezebel Pluto Pants is so fantastic, it only costs about $200 to change your name as an adult in most places. They can change theirs to it. But no, they would never dream of that....only inflicting President's Choice Best Light Chunky Tuna Spread on their unfortunate child.

I think even stupid spellings of normal names shouldn't be allowed. Sorry but there's no reason that Elizabeth should turn into Ahlihsabythhe, nor Jonathan into Xhanethaen. It doesn't make you look creative, it makes you look like a 4th grade dropout that dropped LSD and snorted coke before you went to the delivery ward. Your child has to learn how to spell that and will have to correct people about 20 times a day because of that.

If you like stupid names, change yours. Pick a normal name for your child and please don't try to be "kreaehtihve" with your spelling.
Sometimes I think those alternate spellings occur because the birth certificate doesn't have a spell check.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous

Now who's bitching? You're the one who didn't even read the first post fully, and now you're covering up by harping on a single point I said wasn't even that bad. But please, go cry more.
Apparently you did not read my posts either or you would have noticed the absent accent mark earlier. You seem to have a big problem with how people choose to spell names, you probably think mine is 'wrong' because it has 2 Ns instead of one. lol And if extra vowels that serve no real purpose bug you, I hope you never read anything written in British English, as it is full of them.

Lonely Explorer

8,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Nobody Famous

Try telling that to a parent. They won't listen. My child, I get the say! Which is ridiculous. Think of the kid for goodness sake! They have to grow up with that name. Being teased, constantly being asked how to spell or how to pronounce. Which btw If you when telling your name to people you have to tell them how to say your "unique" name..chances are you should use it.

BTW my daughter is Amy. Spelled normal. Why because I grew up with a normal name..but spelled differently and it bugged the hell out of me constantly seeing it be miss spelled or asked how to spell it. (or correct people as they are spelling it because they didnt even ask how) But I guess in this day she'll probably still get asked because who spell "Amy" normal anymore.

Quotable Prophet

Ratttking
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous

Apparently you did not read my posts either or you would have noticed the absent accent mark earlier. You seem to have a big problem with how people choose to spell names, you probably think mine is 'wrong' because it has 2 Ns instead of one. lol And if extra vowels that serve no real purpose bug you, I hope you never read anything written in British English, as it is full of them.

I did notice it, since you yourself harped on how I had to copy/paste it to mention it. Like you said, it has different variations in French. Nor does it change the fact that it wasn't what I brought up initially as an example of parents going over the top in making the names look different for the sake of them looking different in the first place. It's a legitimate annoyance, and honestly, that you'd want to pick at that of all things in this thread says more about your problems than mine.

Quotable Prophet

Sakura Takafumi
Nobody Famous

Try telling that to a parent. They won't listen. My child, I get the say! Which is ridiculous. Think of the kid for goodness sake! They have to grow up with that name. Being teased, constantly being asked how to spell or how to pronounce. Which btw If you when telling your name to people you have to tell them how to say your "unique" name..chances are you should use it.

BTW my daughter is Amy. Spelled normal. Why because I grew up with a normal name..but spelled differently and it bugged the hell out of me constantly seeing it be miss spelled or asked how to spell it. (or correct people as they are spelling it because they didnt even ask how) But I guess in this day she'll probably still get asked because who spell "Amy" normal anymore.

That's exactly what that mother who wanted to name her kid "Messiah" said. "It's my kid, I can name him what I want". Um...lady? You're not the one going to have to live with that name. I'm not even that religious, but I can tell you that kid is going to have a hell of a time growing up, just as he would if he'd been named "God" or "Muhammad".

I see plenty of "Amy"'s and "Ami"'s that neither bother me. Plus Amy/Ami are simple enough that you can simply say it's with an "I" or a "Y" so people know the right way to spell it. But I'm seeing "Aimiee" and even "Ayhmee" and all I can think is "Why?"

I think what really bugs me is that it gives an impression that all names have to be "special" somehow. Either in spelling or pronunciation, it's coming off as an attempt to make their kids stand out more--and doing so in what can commonly turn out to be a poor way. I heard that mom won in the "Messiah" case, btw. I pity her son.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous
Ratttking
Nobody Famous

I did notice it, since you yourself harped on how I had to copy/paste it to mention it. Like you said, it has different variations in French. Nor does it change the fact that it wasn't what I brought up initially as an example of parents going over the top in making the names look different for the sake of them looking different in the first place. It's a legitimate annoyance, and honestly, that you'd want to pick at that of all things in this thread says more about your problems than mine.
You didn't bring it up for several posts, so I do not believe you knew about the accent. You are the one who went off-toic in the first place, as this thread is about naming children after trademarked products or other things that can subject them to ridicule, not giving them variant spellings of a name that *gasp* fails to meet your approval.

Timid Conversationalist

I'm so glad to know I do not have the right to name my own children someday if someone else seems to not feel they would like to have the name I chose. rolleyes

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff