Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gracious Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Ohana_Okazaki
When a society as a whole doesn't place a value on children, the country suffers. Italy and Japan are in the declining boat. For Japan, I believe the fact that there aren't a lot of day care options available for working women contributes to the lack of children being born. And because people treasure careers over children, the population declines and now they have a bunch of old people that need to be taken care of by a young work force that doesn't exist. One can say that banning abortions are going to cause catastrophe, but the fact that there are countries that are on the decline because more children are murdered than born, the facts speak for themselves. You can't support old people if there's no one alive to support them.

And perhaps it would be a better idea for Japan to do something about the rural areas that lack better technology and living conditions, to make people want to have children instead of thinking how they're going to suffer if a child is born. Children aren't the problem. Societal ills seem to be the problem here.

No, you are confusing the issues that are the current global economic system and how it structured with the gradual and natural decline that comes with increasing techology in birthrates. The current capitalist economic crisis has nothing to do with abortion or abortion rates, and the amount of abortions has absolutely nothing to do with the economic situation countries like Italy, Greece or Spain have. Even a brief look at the political and economic actuality and past of those countries would reveal this. Please get your facts straight. To ban abortions is a hateful attack on women's rights. It is to accept that the position of women is to have children, and nothing more.

7,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Eternal Marionetta
And the police force is very good.
Yeah, they have a conviction rate of 99%. You may take that as a glowing endorsement; personally I think its questionable as hell.

7,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
Camera Stellata
Eternal Marionetta
Yeah, they have a conviction rate of 99%. You may take that as a glowing endorsement; personally I think its questionable as hell.

Yeah, corruption.

Quotable Noob

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Ah yes,more population growth control.The more you try to fix the 'population machine' the more you screw it up!

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Eternal Marionetta
logan the god of candy
guy30
logan the god of candy
japan, how the ******** is this an issue? it's called immigration, you ********.

that place must be full of jobs. lol
Not an option. Japan is an ethnostate, the homeland of the Japanese people.

they can either hope for people to naturally have more babies, or ban abortion.

banning abortion will make poor people that can't afford children more poor. poverty leads to increased crime and gangs. that leads to more murder, weapons and drugs. and since people won't stop ******** because they're idiots...

The crime rate in Japan is rather low.
Civilians are not allowed to own guns.

It's doubtful that the crime rate would increase because people are very scared of going to prison, there.
They have a culture of respect. They also see gun ownership as a privelage not a right. Also they have criminal hanging not Lethal injections and you will never know your death date when you are on deathrow.

Dedicated Consumer

8,550 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Lavish Tipper 200
MyOnlyRealityIsLove
Pia Austin
Think it should not banned in all cases involving rape or when the child's birth will cause the mothers death. They need more people anyways. And china is the one with the over population problem and has 10 times as many people as Japan.

Abortion should be illegal with these safeguards b/c there is no excuse to have one really unless a women are put in the above situations b/c there is birth control and condoms

....Other than the fact that often BC and condoms are out of reach. Here in the US, although birth control is supposed to be covered fully, many insurance companies still won't cover it. Not to mention, many pharmacies, including Walmart where many low income women get their medicine, refuse to stock it, and many doctors are hesitant to prescribe more permanent forms of birth control to young adults because of our cultural assumption that all women want babies, babies, and more babies.

In a perfect world, you could argue that abortion is only needed where the mother's life is in danger or the pregnancy is not viable. But we don't live there, which means abortion is going to be necessary.

Back on topic: do you know what European countries generally have the highest birth rates? The ones with generous maternity leave and programs that help families with their young children. Something to think about.

I don't believe executing a child is necessary for survival and should be a moral decision to be taken lightly. If you can have sex, you can have children end of story
idk if this will necessarily help with the problem, but it is sad.. last time i checked their population growth was -0.08 confused

Dapper Friend

6,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Signature Look 250
Pia Austin
MyOnlyRealityIsLove
Pia Austin
Think it should not banned in all cases involving rape or when the child's birth will cause the mothers death. They need more people anyways. And china is the one with the over population problem and has 10 times as many people as Japan.

Abortion should be illegal with these safeguards b/c there is no excuse to have one really unless a women are put in the above situations b/c there is birth control and condoms

....Other than the fact that often BC and condoms are out of reach. Here in the US, although birth control is supposed to be covered fully, many insurance companies still won't cover it. Not to mention, many pharmacies, including Walmart where many low income women get their medicine, refuse to stock it, and many doctors are hesitant to prescribe more permanent forms of birth control to young adults because of our cultural assumption that all women want babies, babies, and more babies.

In a perfect world, you could argue that abortion is only needed where the mother's life is in danger or the pregnancy is not viable. But we don't live there, which means abortion is going to be necessary.

Back on topic: do you know what European countries generally have the highest birth rates? The ones with generous maternity leave and programs that help families with their young children. Something to think about.

I don't believe executing a child is necessary for survival and should be a moral decision to be taken lightly. If you can have sex, you can have children end of story

What makes you think abortions are taken likely? I can't speak for all women, but the people I know who have had abortions gave it serious thought.

And the "executing children" line is bullshit. Most abortions are conducted long before the pregnancy is viable. If you're so worried about children, focus on the ones that are here and are lacking food, shelter and other necessities and not on passing judgment on a woman's choice to go through a pregnancy.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
MyOnlyRealityIsLove
Pia Austin
MyOnlyRealityIsLove
Pia Austin

What makes you think abortions are taken likely? I can't speak for all women, but the people I know who have had abortions gave it serious thought.

And the "executing children" line is bullshit. Most abortions are conducted long before the pregnancy is viable. If you're so worried about children, focus on the ones that are here and are lacking food, shelter and other necessities and not on passing judgment on a woman's choice to go through a pregnancy.

Seconded, I'd rather give a fetus a quick death than to condemn a child to a life of abuse and neglect brought in the world soley to be some lady's penalty-baby. And yes, if anyone asks, I say the same thing about my own life. My life would not be worth living if I was not loved and wanted by my family.

And while children should be valued, I think our sociaty puts too much value on children for just existing and it creates a lot of unhealthy problems, from a sugrey addiction and fear of getting old to spoilt brats who no one dares say no to ever.

Hygienic Reveler

Has Japan ever considered loosening its immigration controls? No, seriously. Not that they should let everybody in, or have lax enforcement as the US does, but perhaps more immigrant labor would help Japan's economic standing these days.

If Japan can't convince people to have unprotected sex (and, Lord knows, that shouldn't be so difficult), why not look at a more sensible solution and accept that increased immigration will probably not kill the Japanese race, itself descended from Austronesian and Korean immigrants?

Dapper Gawker

What's wrong with having a low birth rate country-wise?

Shy Friend

12,475 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
While I understand that Japan has a terribly low bbirth rate I don't think banning abortions is such a good idea. Only because I think it's not fair for women thst are accidently pregnant. Or the very least they could compromise and find more women willing to be surrogate mothers or mothers in general. I don't think controlling women's rights to abortions is the way ti go but I understand that they were accepting of it for a very long time. I hope their population inscreases a little so there is not a panic about less babies being born.

Dapper Lunatic

16,440 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Clambake 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
I still think the only way Japan is going to improve its birth rate is going to be to improve its childcare options and the ability of women to continue to work after childbirth without the stigma of being "Devil Women." Since the stigma is already ingrained in society, that's going to take significant work.

When the deck is stacked against women once they have children, women are not necessarily going to want to have children in great numbers and young ages. It's not a difficult situation to grasp, except, evidently, for the Japanese.

Big Noob

9,800 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I think it is a good idea. In my opinion, abortion is immoral and stops a beating heart. Just an opinion

Dapper Lunatic

16,440 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Clambake 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
AnimeCobb
I think it is a good idea. In my opinion, abortion is immoral and stops a beating heart. Just an opinion

So we should take the choices away from Japanese women who could suffer, aside from financial and social ruin, medical complications up to and including death for your morals, which have no relevancy in their culture. Good job.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff