Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ice-Cold Wolf

Quote:
The Islamic State (Isis) has published a video showing militants destroying ancient artefacts in a Mosul museum with sledgehammer and pickaxes.

IS fighters are seen unveiling old statues in the Ninawa museum dating back to the Assyrian empire and then dragging them down to the ground, where they fall into pieces.

Then, they are depicted pounding 3,000-year-old sculptures with hammers until they are completely shattered. Tens of militants are seen using ladders, hammers and drills to destroy every statue in the museum, including a winged-bull Assyrian protective deity dating back to the 7th century BC.

"These ruins that are behind me, they are idols and statues that people in the past used to worship instead of Allah," a bearded IS militant tells the camera, with the immense, partially-demolished winged-bull in the background.

"The so-called Assyrians and Akkadians and others looked to gods for war, agriculture and rain to whom they offered sacrifices," he added, with reference to the ancient civilizations that lived in Mesopotamia for more than 5,000 years in what is now Iraq, eastern Syria and southern Turkey.

"The Prophet Mohammed took down idols with his bare hands when he went into Mecca. We were ordered by our prophet to take down idols and destroy them, and the companions of the prophet did this after this time, when they conquered countries."

"When God orders us to remove and destroy them, it becomes easy for us and we don't care even if they cost millions of dollars," he continues.

A professor at the Archaeology College in Mosul confirmed to the AP that the two sites shown in the video are the city museum and a site known as Nirgal Gate, one of the several gates of the ancient capital of the Assyrian Empire Nineveh.

"I'm totally shocked," Amir al-Jumaili told the AP. "It's a catastrophe. With the destruction of these artifacts, we can no longer be proud of Mosul's civilization."

The video, dated February 2015 from Mosul and posted on a Twitter account used by IS, comes after Mosul's public library director Ghanim al-Ta'an told The Fiscal Times that IS members burned the city public library, which housed more than 8,000 rare old books and manuscripts.

"IS militants bombed the Mosul Public Library. they used improvised explosive devices," he said.

A history professor at University of Mosul told AP that Islamists began destroying the library earlier this month. Another report said 2,000 books were seen being loaded into pickup tracks.

Mosul is in the centre of 1,791 registered archeological sites, including four capitals of the Assyrian empire - Nineveh, Kalhu, Sur Sharrukin and Ashur.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/iraq-isis-take-sledgehammers-priceless-assyrian-artefacts-mosul-museum-video-1489616

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I find it ironic that this group's name is that of an Egyptian goddess.

Fandom Trash

36,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
It's things like this that make me wish I wasn't human.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Well that's what happens when you combine ignorance and violence. Senseless destruction.

Wintry Dragon

Such a waste.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
How very Mohammed of them... stare
At what point are we going to have to admit that the destruction of idols, the forcible elimination of paganism, the putting to death of critics of Muhammed, the takeover of Arabia and the subsequent Islamic invasions of the Levant - all events taking place in the first years of Islam's existence - constitute a huge millstone around the neck of so-called moderate Muslims?
My US history teacher says ISIS might be the thing that starts a third world war in an effort to stop them since similar to Hitler they are CLEARLY in the wrong

I really wish all people had empathy...

Lonely Wolf

Ratttking
I find it ironic that this group's name is that of an Egyptian goddess.

HAAAA! xd

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
azulmagia
At what point are we going to have to admit that the destruction of idols, the forcible elimination of paganism, the putting to death of critics of Muhammed, the takeover of Arabia and the subsequent Islamic invasions of the Levant - all events taking place in the first years of Islam's existence - constitute a huge millstone around the neck of so-called moderate Muslims?

So? The same can be said of Christians with the Inquisition and Crusades, among other things. I fail to see how this has anything to do with crazy extremists like ISIS.

Blessed Prophet

s**t like this makes me sick

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Athena_flora
s**t like this makes me sick

You and me both. It reminds me of how much of history has been lost throughout the ages. Including what is reported to be 500,000 years worth of written human history when most of the Dead Sea Scrolls were destroyed when Caesar wanted to have them all burned so that history can be rewritten the way he wanted it to be. Aside from whatever else Alexander the Great was, he was also some kind of hero and managed to save a bunch of them and stored them in his library. Too bad they are all pretty much gone when the library fell to the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea. But it is things like this that when one king and his army invades the kingdom of another, the invaders set about destroying whatever written history there is in an effort to hide or erase it. Much of Egypt's history is missing for those same kind of reasons. It is not just simple destruction of antiquities. It is a form of oppression as a way to try and destroy any kind of identity of a people.
Saless
azulmagia

So? The same can be said of Christians with the Inquisition and Crusades, among other things. I fail to see how this has anything to do with crazy extremists like ISIS.

Then you must be incredibly obtuse.

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
azulmagia
Saless
azulmagia

I see you had a great counter-argument there...insults. Very effective. You've totally changed my mind. razz
Saless
azulmagia
Saless
azulmagia

I see you had a great counter-argument there...insults. Very effective. You've totally changed my mind. razz

If it's a real insult you'll trolling for, then I'll tell you that you're too thick to realize my previous post wasn't an insult.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff