Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Friend

12,475 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Quote:
How Americans view Arabs and Muslims has gotten worse in recent years, with negative feelings strongest among Republicans and senior citizens, according to a poll released on Tuesday.

Only 27 percent of Americans have a favorable opinion of Muslims, down from 35 percent in 2010, according to the Zogby poll, commissioned by the non-profit Arab American Institute. Favourable attitudes towards Arabs dropped to 32 percent from 43 percent in 2010.

The poll also found that 42 percent of respondents believe an American Muslim's religion would influence his or her decision making in an important government job. The same percentage believe it is justified for law enforcement to profile Arab Americans or American Muslims.

The poll also found sharp partisan, racial and generational divides.

For example, 59 percent of Republicans and 53 percent of people 65 or older agree with profiling Arab Americans or Arab Muslims, compared with 32 percent of Democrats and the 18-29 age group. Only 29 percent of non-whites favour profiling, compared with 47 percent of whites.

The poll surveyed 1,110 likely voters in late June, with a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

NBC NEWS

Heroic Hero

How Muslims actually act in Europe, say with constant race riots and harassment, might have an influence of what people in general think about Muslims

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Bogotanian
How Muslims actually act in Europe, say with constant race riots and harassment, might have an influence of what people in general think about Muslims

I hope you're willing to take the disdain for the constant harassment of people going into abortion clinics.

Melodious Gatekeeper

@riots on another continent: How many of the people in this poll based their opinion on what they saw in actual news stories? I doubt many of them really care what happens outside of their own town (if that) except when someone gives them an opportunity to start talking.

Let alone the difference between individuals.

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
I was going to comment on seeing the actual poll results, so I went to the NBC News site to find out who commissioned the poll. Went to the Arab-American Institute which commissioned the poll, and was shown an unambiguous explanation of why the AAI got the results they wanted. When a group decides to hold a candlelight vigil for the side that started the rocket bombing in the first place, and not for the side that had a existential desire to protect itself, a logical sentient being would realize this non-profit has every reason to play rhetorical games with what would be a reasonable reaction by Americans.

An unspoken truth about this poll is that (with the numbers cited) this isn't only a view held by old, white, conservative, Republican men. If a poll shows 27% favourable opinion of Muslims, 32% favourable opinion of Arabs (a drop of 11%, or 1/4 less than the previous poll), then this is more than old white men. One poll result I would like to see is how the percentage of Democrats and the immature 18-29 year olds has changed from the prior poll.

All I can say of my opinion on the question of falling opinion is this; as long as the Arab and Muslim world continues to refuse to acknowledge the big, winged, pink elephant in their own room, these numbers will continue to go against them. Its simple and knee jerk to simply complain about how reasonable people will react to what they see out of a certain region of the world. As long as groups like the Arab-American Institute refuse to recognize that their side is as culpable in these results as Americans, then they can kiss the resources they wasted on this pointless poll goodbye.

I do not know how many ignorant people will join the AAI on their partisan and prejudiced candlelight vigil commemorating the side that initiated this latest Gaza conflict, I for one will hold a silent (non candlelight) vigil for Israel whose greatest perceived crime is existing and wanting to live where they live. And if this poll tells me one thing, more Americans who have actually seen life in this world over decades are just as likely to do the same as I am.

Heroic Hero

Patton
I was going to comment on seeing the actual poll results, so I went to the NBC News site to find out who commissioned the poll. Went to the Arab-American Institute which commissioned the poll, and was shown an unambiguous explanation of why the AAI got the results they wanted. When a group decides to hold a candlelight vigil for the side that started the rocket bombing in the first place, and not for the side that had a existential desire to protect itself, a logical sentient being would realize this non-profit has every reason to play rhetorical games with what would be a reasonable reaction by Americans.

An unspoken truth about this poll is that (with the numbers cited) this isn't only a view held by old, white, conservative, Republican men. If a poll shows 27% favourable opinion of Muslims, 32% favourable opinion of Arabs (a drop of 11%, or 1/4 less than the previous poll), then this is more than old white men. One poll result I would like to see is how the percentage of Democrats and the immature 18-29 year olds has changed from the prior poll.

All I can say of my opinion on the question of falling opinion is this; as long as the Arab and Muslim world continues to refuse to acknowledge the big, winged, pink elephant in their own room, these numbers will continue to go against them. Its simple and knee jerk to simply complain about how reasonable people will react to what they see out of a certain region of the world. As long as groups like the Arab-American Institute refuse to recognize that their side is as culpable in these results as Americans, then they can kiss the resources they wasted on this pointless poll goodbye.

I do not know how many ignorant people will join the AAI on their partisan and prejudiced candlelight vigil commemorating the side that initiated this latest Gaza conflict, I for one will hold a silent (non candlelight) vigil for Israel whose greatest perceived crime is existing and wanting to live where they live. And if this poll tells me one thing, more Americans who have actually seen life in this world over decades are just as likely to do the same as I am.

Hey I didn't even have to research to know that it was probably a bogus statistic. It comes from NBC. You already know that's a biased site lol

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Bogotanian
Patton

Hey I didn't even have to research to know that it was probably a bogus statistic. It comes from NBC. You already know that's a biased site lol

NBC had nothing to do with the poll, Reuters did. As did the ones who commissioned the report. I cited NBC because that was the link the OC offered. If some other news entity had cited the poll, the reaction to the poll would have been the same (sans the replacement of NBC with the website which reported the poll). That is because NBC isn't the focus of the article, the AAI is. You may make snide comments about how I view NBC, but at least I leave them out of an issue which they have no part in.

"Figures don’t lie, but liars figure." Results can be massaged by groups who wish to reach a result they find acceptable. One would be wise to remember that.

Liberal Voter

11,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
All racism is wrong and a sign of ignorance. We are all people, get over it.

Hilarious Lunatic

I don't trust Muslims. I just don't. They're not a religion of peace. They're a cult that promotes rape, killing, and degrading women.

Ugh. Ick.

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Are Arabic people going to be hated on now?

...Uh oh.

Heroic Hero

Mastralexi
The world's disdain for Arabs was born of the US and UK's greed for oil.

Not quite. There's plenty of things that the Arabs have done in the present and historically to warrant disdain
And if either of these polls were about Jews then people would be horrified and appalled. The hypocrisy.
Patton

So you're pissed they're holding a candlelight vigil for Gaza and it's people? Really? It's not like they're holding one for Hamas or anything. They're holding it for all the innocent civilians killed or in danger. There's nothing wrong with that.
Personally they always pissed me off

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces