Welcome to Gaia! ::

This Isnt Sparta

I totally get where you are coming from. I'm a 25 year old biracial woman (half black, half white), and it wasn't uncommon for me to get comments like, "You act too white" or "that's coming from the white part of you."

Anytime I did well in school or succeeded at anything, I wasn't being "black enough." People who say crap like that set the bar low for themselves, and a part of me feels bad for them. We live in a society that expect black people to fail. One of my brother's teachers straight out told him that he didn't believe he would make it in any kind of school but a trade school. Mind you, going to a trade school isn't a bad thing at all, but what his teacher was saying was that going a trade school was the only type of school my brother could succeed in. Luckily, my brother didn't listen to him and earned both a BA and MA and has a great job with the government.

Tipsy Smoker

I was bullied by my family for "acting white". Then I started hanging out in the hood and I really don't think it's all that bad. I'm multicultural now.

Tipsy Smoker

Haha I just realized this happened right around the corner from me. I didn't get along with the black kids in my school, but they were too scared to attack me cause I was bigger than them.

Tipsy Smoker

This Isnt Sparta
SparkyKid3000
This Isnt Sparta

I myself am a 24 year old black female. I have had comments directed at me that I should've been born white or how I dont tend to act like other black females. Tell me society, how am I "supposed" to act?

Sucks doesn't it? I ask the same question, and only a few have been dumb enough to try to tell me how I should behave.

Oh yeah.
It's ridiculous. Why would I want to be bogged down with numerous kids now? Im no financial situation in which that can happen. Why would I want to be promiscuous and be twerking my booty everywhere in some outfit that leaves little to the imagination? I carry myself with dignity and respect. Why would I want to abuse the welfare system so I'd never have to work? Why would I want to not have an education? My momma didnt raise a fool. Is this how a black female or person is supposed to behave? What the hell society?
:/ I don't see anything wrong with those things. And you're stereotyping... ://

Dangerous Poster

6,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
These color wars are pointless but they will continue to go on and on and on and on....I blame the parents tho

Aged Phantom

7,375 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Shameful. And I bet that same bully of a girl will grow up assuming that white people are solely responsible for holding black people down, when that very assumption carries two lies.

Hilarious Raider

Unspoken Word
Shameful. And I bet that same bully of a girl will grow up assuming that white people are solely responsible for holding black people down, when that very assumption carries two lies.

Oh, the irony.

Liberal Fatcat

Chahklet
This Isnt Sparta
SparkyKid3000
This Isnt Sparta

I myself am a 24 year old black female. I have had comments directed at me that I should've been born white or how I dont tend to act like other black females. Tell me society, how am I "supposed" to act?

Sucks doesn't it? I ask the same question, and only a few have been dumb enough to try to tell me how I should behave.

Oh yeah.
It's ridiculous. Why would I want to be bogged down with numerous kids now? Im no financial situation in which that can happen. Why would I want to be promiscuous and be twerking my booty everywhere in some outfit that leaves little to the imagination? I carry myself with dignity and respect. Why would I want to abuse the welfare system so I'd never have to work? Why would I want to not have an education? My momma didnt raise a fool. Is this how a black female or person is supposed to behave? What the hell society?

Im simply bringing up the main observations that society sees as the "typical" black female. If that's your thing, then that's your thing. I'm not saying anything. But the fact is, it's perceived as an negative stereotype exclusive to only a certain race which I dont want defining me as an individual.

Liberal Fatcat

Robotic lalanono
This Isnt Sparta

I totally get where you are coming from. I'm a 25 year old biracial woman (half black, half white), and it wasn't uncommon for me to get comments like, "You act too white" or "that's coming from the white part of you."

Anytime I did well in school or succeeded at anything, I wasn't being "black enough." People who say crap like that set the bar low for themselves, and a part of me feels bad for them. We live in a society that expect black people to fail. One of my brother's teachers straight out told him that he didn't believe he would make it in any kind of school but a trade school. Mind you, going to a trade school isn't a bad thing at all, but what his teacher was saying was that going a trade school was the only type of school my brother could succeed in. Luckily, my brother didn't listen to him and earned both a BA and MA and has a great job with the government.

A congrats to your brother for making it. That's an attitude I like. smile
And so many times Ive seen my own peers take to heart what teachers, friends, even family members say that they can't make it or its impossible for them to go anywhere. And they just dont do anything, since they cant see that they are better than what they are now. From the sound of it, that teacher made trade school sound like a bad thing. :/ Which of course isnt. If were him, I'd like to meet that teacher again and rub my degrees and government job in his face.

Tipsy Smoker

This Isnt Sparta
Chahklet
This Isnt Sparta
SparkyKid3000
This Isnt Sparta

Oh yeah.

Im simply bringing up the main observations that society sees as the "typical" black female. If that's your thing, then that's your thing. I'm not saying anything. But the fact is, it's perceived as an negative stereotype exclusive to only a certain race which I dont want defining me as an individual.
No. I am nothing like that. I just don't think it's bad either. It's different, but not bad. Neither is welfare when you truly need it. I was raised in the suburbs and when my mom kicked me out the same people I looked down on came to be my friends. Stereotyping has become such a negative thing. But why were those traits perceived to be negative in the first place?

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Mitsuki Horenake
xdivision_whitey
This up there with thinking a black hole is a racial slur.
What. Seriously.

Here

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
emotion_facepalm This sort of thing is horrible.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
This Isnt Sparta

You were born at a point where your Generation was raised on... well.

Everyone is supposed to be a Black Gangsta. Black, White, East Asian, Middle Eastern, South American,.. doesn't matter what you are. You must worship the Black Gangstas and aspire to be as much like them. *facepalm*

This started a long time ago. Entertainment and Advertising decided Rap would be The Next Big Thing. They decided that the next Generation would all entirely love it and live by it. So they crammed it down children's throats. Shoved it into children's shows and cartoons. Back at a time when children didn't listen to Rap and Rap was about sex and crime.

As those children entered their teens, the many industries involved in controlling what a whole generation would love and do had Gangsta clothes the main focus in stores. It was almost all white (color of materials) and marketed to Tweens and Teens. It was overpriced and endorsed by musicians. Because it was white and cheap they had to keep buying more. This started as our economy was doing well and prices were falling. There was plenty of extra money to blow. They also were encouraging teens to be criminals. Some times this backfired since they stole products. Luckily the items were so heavily overpriced most companies were fine.

So at your age. You are in the midst of "Worship Black Criminals!" Even if you aren't in the United States, that has spread and there will be people that worship this stupid thing. This mess that was decided by Advertising and junk. No matter your age, gender, country, and racial background... you're supposed to worship black criminals. How can you not? If you are black you better live up to the image.

Oh, yes,.. don't forget for years now this movement. EVERYONE IS RACIST! Even though everyone is worshiping black criminals and wants to be a black criminal themselves,.. everyone is racist and out to get you and judging you in their mind and treating you diffierently....

Oh, my favorite... cops have always ever only been after young blacks males in hoodies. It's impossible to think of anyone else in a hoody the police ever went after in history. They always lie too about people in hoodies. These people have never actually committed a crime or hurt anyone. Noone ever in history.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Just ignore all this stupid. As long as you aren't physically harming anyone, feel free to be yourself.

BTW, Miley Cyrus started emulating 12 year old girls. The sticking the tongue out and showing your underwear junk. So she's probably worked into the teens by now. She's probably just mimicking what early teens do online in photos. Not what they can do infront of their parents. I think she's just picked up where she left off in childhood before she became popular and is reliving it all. Only no one is helping her. She doesn't have parents and teachers to stop her and guide her. I wonder if she'll go through a cutting phase and a fake blood phase. *sighs* So she is doing what's popular online and on phones with tweens and teens -- that they try to hide from their parents -- and then children, tweens, teens, and adults are doing what she does.

Liberal Fatcat

Chahklet
This Isnt Sparta
Chahklet
This Isnt Sparta
SparkyKid3000
This Isnt Sparta

Oh yeah.

No. I am nothing like that. I just don't think it's bad either. It's different, but not bad. Neither is welfare when you truly need it. I was raised in the suburbs and when my mom kicked me out the same people I looked down on came to be my friends. Stereotyping has become such a negative thing. But why were those traits perceived to be negative in the first place?

Those traits "define" a race that apparently doesnt want to advance or better themselves. It sounds pretty negative to me when someone assumes that since Im black, Im probably violent, angry, have too many kids by my 18th birthday, and not pursuing a higher education or do anything that would enrich my life for the better.
America has a long long long history of race relation issues (not just in regard to the black folk, but you know, a pretty good part of it) that has a large part in how people in other cultures and in other races see each other today. Those traits I perceive as negative are only thanks to cultural views and ideas shifting with the times and events of history. As well as media misrepresentation in my opinion. I only wish that it was so black folk were seen as also wanting to make an honest living with their white counterparts (and every minority for that matter) and not be singled out for the sole reason of just causing trouble.

And really, any average joe of any skin color wouldnt appreciate being called lazy and violent just because of said skin color. I dont think any normal person would want to have that stigma be immediately attached. Those stereotypes just have to go.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
This Isnt Sparta
SparkyKid3000
This Isnt Sparta

Oh yeah.

What's rather said is when all those things you said are associated with being black (to some folks).
I mean, family planning, being responsible, having self respect, working on your education..etc.
Those are not so much "acting white" as just "acting responsible". People of any color can do them and should.

It's a sad commentary that the attacker thinks the other girl should act more like her - then demonstrates how she thinks folks should act by tripping her and beating her while she is on the ground, then running and hiding from the cops. That's a class act right there.

It's not often that I read an article about a racist who attacks a black person and it turns out both attacker and victim were black. It's pretty bad when you are so racist you beat up on someone of your own race simply for acting too much like the other race (according to her opinion).

Anyway, good on you for having your head screwed on. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces