Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:
A grand jury indicted Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Friday for allegedly abusing the powers of his office by carrying out a threat to veto funding for state prosecutors investigating public corruption — making the possible 2016 presidential hopeful his state's first indicted governor in nearly a century.

A special prosecutor spent months calling witnesses and presenting evidence that Perry broke the law when he promised publicly to nix $7.5 million over two years for the public integrity unit run by the office of Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg. Lehmberg, a Democrat, was convicted of drunken driving, but refused Perry's calls to resign.

Though the Republican governor now faces two felony indictments, politics dominates the case. Lehmberg is based in Austin, which is heavily Democratic, in contrast to most of the rest of fiercely conservative Texas. The grand jury was comprised of Austin-area residents.

The unit Lehmberg oversees investigates statewide allegations of corruption and political wrongdoing. It led the investigation against former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, a Texas Republican who in 2010 was convicted of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering for taking part in a scheme to influence elections in his home state — convictions later vacated by an appeals court.

Mary Anne Wiley, Perry's general counsel, predicted Perry ultimately will be cleared of the charges against him — abuse of official capacity and coercion of a public servant.

"The veto in question was made in accordance with the veto authority afforded to every governor under the Texas Constitution," she said.

David L. Botsford, Perry's defense attorney, whose $450-per hour fees are being paid for by state funds, said he was outraged by the action.

"This clearly represents political abuse of the court system and there is no legal basis in this decision," Botsford said in a statement. "Today's action, which violates the separation of powers outlined in the Texas Constitution, is nothing more than an effort to weaken the constitutional authority granted to the office of Texas governor, and sets a dangerous precedent by allowing a grand jury to punish the exercise of a lawful and constitutional authority afforded to the Texas governor."

Several top aides to Perry appeared before grand jurors, including his deputy chief of staff, legislative director and general counsel. Perry himself did not testify, though.

Abuse of official capacity is a first-degree felony with potential punishments of five to 99 years in prison. Coercion of a public servant is a third-degree felony that carries a punishment of two to 10 years.

In office since 2000 and already the longest-serving governor in Texas history, Perry isn't seeking re-election in November.

When he ran for president in 2012, Perry plummeted from brief front-runner to national punchline, his once promising campaign doomed by a series of embarrassing gaffes, including his infamous "Oops moment" during a debate.

As he eyes another White House run, Perry has re-made his cowboy image, donning stylish glasses, studying up on foreign and domestic affairs and promising conservatives nationally that he's far more humble this time around.

Political observers say the indictment may not immediately hurt his standing with Republican primary voters — but Democrats didn't miss a change to gloat Friday.

(link)

Discuter.

Omnipresent Warlord

There goes his presidential ambitions and possibly also his gun rights if he's convicted.
Omnileech
There goes his presidential ambitions and possibly also his gun rights if he's convicted.

Oooooh, that just sweetens the pie, doesn't it?

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
azulmagia
Omnileech

Oooooh, that just sweetens the pie, doesn't it?

Indeed it does!! mrgreen

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Though the Republican governor now faces two felony indictments, politics dominates the case. Lehmberg is based in Austin, which is heavily Democratic, in contrast to most of the rest of fiercely conservative Texas. The grand jury was comprised of Austin-area residents.

This paragraph appears to assume the average juror will convict or declare innocent a defendant based on their party affiliation rather than on the evidence presented in court. When I served jury duty I had more integrity than that.

Eternal Curse

43,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gaian 50
First let me say that if the guy can afford to run for President he can afford to pay for his own bloody layer.

That aside these charges sound trumped up. Just like the previous Tom Delay case if he loses I have very little doubt that it won't get vacated in appeal.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
*cackling like a loon* SERVES YA RIGHT, PERRY! twisted
David2074

This paragraph appears to assume the average juror will convict or declare innocent a defendant based on their party affiliation rather than on the evidence presented in court. When I served jury duty I had more integrity than that.

Sounds like it is nothing more than political posturing. Lehmberg oversees their legal side for politics...which should be held to a higher bar, gets a DUI. I see absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get them to resign.
Sounds weak as ********.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Old Blue Collar Joe
David2074

Sounds like it is nothing more than political posturing. Lehmberg oversees their legal side for politics...which should be held to a higher bar, gets a DUI. I see absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get them to resign.
Sounds weak as ********]

I wasn't speaking for Lehmberg one way or the other. Or for Perry for that matter.
I just resented the implication that the average citizen juror is so corrupt they will base their decision on party affiliation rather than the facts presented to them in court.
David2074
Old Blue Collar Joe
David2074

Sounds weak as ********]

I wasn't speaking for Lehmberg one way or the other. Or for Perry for that matter.
I just resented the implication that the average citizen juror is so corrupt they will base their decision on party affiliation rather than the facts presented to them in court.

I don't doubt that either.

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I like Rick Perry....
He made a threat and kept his word. Don't mess with Texas.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
A have a good friend of mine who actually met this guy; she's 11 now. :3

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Recca Hino
First let me say that if the guy can afford to run for President he can afford to pay for his own bloody layer.

That aside these charges sound trumped up. Just like the previous Tom Delay case if he loses I have very little doubt that it won't get vacated in appeal.

If you look at the details, the woman he was trying to force into resigning decided that not only was she gonna get drunk and go out driving, she was also gonna go Full Mel Gibson toward the police, tried to use her position to make it all go away while still drunk, and then refused to step down because she's a Democrat, and was scared that a Republican would take her post, and has expressed the belief that that justified everything.

Honestly, if Rick Perry had been anyone but a potential Republican contender for 2016, he'd'a been praised for this whole mess, not indicted.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
xXFurygeistXx

Yeah, how DARE he try and challenge a Democrat who tries to use her position in the government to make her drunk driving charges go away? I mean, she might be a public menace who's into drinking, keeping open bottles of vodka in the cup-holder of her car, and attacking the police who dare try and stop her, all while using her position to make it all quietly go away, but he's a damn Republican, which is the worst damn thing a person can be, right?

Omnipresent Warlord

Keltoi Samurai
xXFurygeistXx

Yeah, how DARE he try and challenge a Democrat who tries to use her position in the government to make her drunk driving charges go away? I mean, she might be a public menace who's into drinking, keeping open bottles of vodka in the cup-holder of her car, and attacking the police who dare try and stop her, all while using her position to make it all quietly go away, but he's a damn Republican, which is the worst damn thing a person can be, right?

What does any of that have to do with what Perry did to abuse his power? Oh. Nothing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff