Welcome to Gaia! ::

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
[******** kids.

I am sick and tired of people trying and wanting to make the entire planet as kid friendly as possible. Don't say this, don't do that, don't show this...wah wah.

Kids aren't the only humans on earth and we all need to deal with living in an adult world, made by adults, for adults. Being an adult is what a human will spend most of their life being, as such changing asinine s**t to cater to kids seems pretty obnoxious.

I would not at all enjoy a flying on an airline that only shows g-rated stupidity. I am not 4 and those movies don't amuse me anymore.
All the family asked for was for their monitor to be turned off. When they were told that wasn't possible, they went about finding distractions for their kids so they wouldn't watch the movie. But seriously, on a flight where you have kids on board it is not unreasonable to expect them to show something that's clearly not appropriate for them. It's not like there is anywhere to get away from it, and there are lots of PG movies that kids and adults would both enjoy. Should people be forced to let their kids see things that aren't age appropriate? The other thing is, you are not four. You are an adult who is capable of entertaining yourself without distracting the other passengers. I don't know many young children who are also capable of that. neutral

Ferocious Browser

Elraine ******** kids.

I am sick and tired of people trying and wanting to make the entire planet as kid friendly as possible. Don't say this, don't do that, don't show this...wah wah.

Kids aren't the only humans on earth and we all need to deal with living in an adult world, made by adults, for adults. Being an adult is what a human will spend most of their life being, as such changing asinine s**t to cater to kids seems pretty obnoxious.

I would not at all enjoy a flying on an airline that only shows g-rated stupidity. I am not 4 and those movies don't amuse me anymore.[/quote]
All the family asked for was for their monitor to be turned off. When they were told that wasn't possible, they went about finding distractions for their kids so they wouldn't watch the movie. But seriously, on a flight where you have kids on board it is not unreasonable to expect them to show something that's clearly not appropriate for them. It's not like there is anywhere to get away from it, and there are lots of PG movies that kids and adults would both enjoy. Should people be forced to let their kids see things that aren't age appropriate? The other thing is, you are not four. You are an adult who is capable of entertaining yourself without distracting the other passengers. I don't know many young children who are also capable of tha
cdet3r4o:0="Elraine ******** kids.

I would not at all enjoy a flying on an airline that only shows g-rated stupidity. I am not 4 and those movies don't amuse me anymore.[/quote]
All the family asked for was for their monitor to be turned off. When they were told that wasn't possible, they went about finding distractions for their kids so they wouldn't watch the movie. But seriously, on a flight where you have kids on board it is not unreasonable to expect them to show something that's clearly not appropriate for them. It's not like there is anywhere to get away from it, and there are lots of PG movies that kids and adults would both enjoy. Should people be forced to let their kids see things that aren't age appropriate? The other thing is, you are not four. You are an adult who is capable of entertaining yourself without distracting the other passengers. I don't know many young children who are also capable of that. neutral

I am aware they tried their own distractions and I applaud them for that, they should have started there. I read books, or listen to music, I also happen to sometimes watch the movies they show in flight and would appreciate if they weren't all silly kids movies all the time. Especially on a long flight.

Turning off a monitor of the sort they are talking about affects everyone around them who also has to watch that monitor. This would include the kids of other passengers who were willing to let their own kids see the movie. The only way they'd have their own personal ones are if they were on a flight with seatback monitors, and if that had been the case they could have turned it off. Seeing as off wasn't an option they must have been on a flight with shared overhead monitors, in which case it is annoying to ask to have it turned off just for you regardless of the other passengers around you making use of it.

Also, I'm banking on Most flights having children and that fact is what makes the request to have child appropriate entertainment on flights that have children, be an obnoxious request. Because it would imply that nearly all flights should only show g rated movies to accommodate these kids.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Eveille
Elraine ******** kids.

All the family asked for was for their monitor to be turned off. When they were told that wasn't possible, they went about finding distractions for their kids so they wouldn't watch the movie. But seriously, on a flight where you have kids on board it is not unreasonable to expect them to show something that's clearly not appropriate for them. It's not like there is anywhere to get away from it, and there are lots of PG movies that kids and adults would both enjoy. Should people be forced to let their kids see things that aren't age appropriate? The other thing is, you are not four. You are an adult who is capable of entertaining yourself without distracting the other passengers. I don't know many young children who are also capable of tha
cdet3r4o:1="Elraine ******** kids.

I am aware they tried their own distractions and I applaud them for that, they should have started there. I read books, or listen to music, I also happen to sometimes watch the movies they show in flight and would appreciate if they weren't all silly kids movies all the time. Especially on a long flight.

Turning off a monitor of the sort they are talking about affects everyone around them who also has to watch that monitor. This would include the kids of other passengers who were willing to let their own kids see the movie. The only way they'd have their own personal ones are if they were on a flight with seatback monitors, and if that had been the case they could have turned it off. Seeing as off wasn't an option they must have been on a flight with shared overhead monitors, in which case it is annoying to ask to have it turned off just for you regardless of the other passengers around you making use of it.

Also, I'm banking on Most flights having children and that fact is what makes the request to have child appropriate entertainment on flights that have children, be an obnoxious request. Because it would imply that nearly all flights should only show g rated movies to accommodate these kids.

Adults can entertain themselves just as easily if they find Finding Nemo too juvenile and have more "toys". They kept their children entertained regardless of the fact that they couldn't turn off the monitor.

One of the children WAS 4. What do you suggest besides "adult-only" airlines? You do not have the option of pooling money with other passengers to pick a movie, or maybe suggesting separate areas for parents w/children and adult only areas, which sounds equally like an entitlement issue. "No, entertain ME!"

Ferocious Browser

Phallic Wonderland
Eveille
Elraine ******** kids.

cdet3r4o:2="Elraine ******** kids.

Adults can entertain themselves just as easily if they find Finding Nemo too juvenile and have more "toys". They kept their children entertained regardless of the fact that they couldn't turn off the monitor.

One of the children WAS 4. What do you suggest besides "adult-only" airlines? You do not have the option of pooling money with other passengers to pick a movie, or maybe suggesting separate areas for parents w/children and adult only areas, which sounds equally like an entitlement issue. "No, entertain ME!"

You quite right.

Entertain me!

No me!

Well if I had to choose I'd bet on entertaining the majority of the global population and let parents handle their kids as they will and hope that they can understand that how they raise their kids isn't how everyone else wants to raise theirs.

As I said I applaud them for entertaining their own kids, I wish that had been the first resort instead of trying to turn off a monitor that others around them were also making use of.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Eveille
Phallic Wonderland
Eveille
Elraine ******** kids.

cdet3r4o:3="Elraine ******** kids.

You quite right.

Entertain me!

No me!

Well if I had to choose I'd bet on entertaining the majority of the global population and let parents handle their kids as they will and hope that they can understand that how they raise their kids isn't how everyone else wants to raise theirs.

As I said I applaud them for entertaining their own kids, I wish that had been the first resort instead of trying to turn off a monitor that others around them were also making use of.

Maybe take out the movie all together and instead pass out portable DVD players? The thing to consider with group entertainment is the appropriateness. Adults have an easier time staying in their seats and not causing ruckus when they are not being entertained.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
[******** kids.

I would not at all enjoy a flying on an airline that only shows g-rated stupidity. I am not 4 and those movies don't amuse me anymore.

*claps hands with approvable* All I was going to say about this was ******** those parents. But you said it better.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Eveille
Elraine ******** kids.

cdet3r4o:1="Elraine ******** kids.

Phallic Wonderland is making some good points, but here's what I'm going to say:

The parents did exactly nothing wrong. They made a polite request which the airline was unable to accommodate, and then made do with what they could. It wasn't unreasonable—the monitors are small and often shared with only a few seats, so it is entirely possible that the parents asked if the other people were watching the movie before going to the flight attendant. You're making unfair assumptions, there.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make in your last paragraph. Most flights are going to have children on them, like you said. It's common sense and common practice that if you know there will be children in a given area, you don't put up age inappropriate content. Parents have every right to control what their children are exposed to, and you don't get to just override that right because you personally prefer movies targeted towards adults only. I never said that the airline should only show G rated movies. In fact, I specifically stated PG. Movies like the Star Wars series or the Avengers would be fine.

Really this whole fiasco boils down to two things: 1) The airline did not chose an appropriate movie for the entire audience they held captive at thirty thousand feet, and 2) the airline overreacted to parents with valid concerns about what their children were being exposed to. What part of the parents' behavior warranted the entire flight being deviated and transferring them to another plane? Seriously.

Hygienic Reveler

I have a sneaking suspicion that the parents' description of themselves as reacting calmly and politely might not be the whole story.

Ferocious Browser

Elraine Figarette
Eveille
Elraine ******** kids.

cdet3r4o:2="Elraine ******** kids.

Phallic Wonderland is making some good points, but here's what I'm going to say:

The parents did exactly nothing wrong. They made a polite request which the airline was unable to accommodate, and then made do with what they could. It wasn't unreasonable—the monitors are small and often shared with only a few seats, so it is entirely possible that the parents asked if the other people were watching the movie before going to the flight attendant. You're making unfair assumptions, there.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make in your last paragraph. Most flights are going to have children on them, like you said. It's common sense and common practice that if you know there will be children in a given area, you don't put up age inappropriate content. Parents have every right to control what their children are exposed to, and you don't get to just override that right because you personally prefer movies targeted towards adults only. I never said that the airline should only show G rated movies. In fact, I specifically stated PG. Movies like the Star Wars series or the Avengers would be fine.

Really this whole fiasco boils down to two things: 1) The airline did not chose an appropriate movie for the entire audience they held captive at thirty thousand feet, and 2) the airline overreacted to parents with valid concerns about what their children were being exposed to. What part of the parents' behavior warranted the entire flight being deviated and transferring them to another plane? Seriously.

The airline did overreact, that's obvious.

The parents ended up doing the right thing.

My entire issue is that they felt the need to ask for something to accommodate them without considering the others around them. I think you are too fairly assuming they consulted their seatmates before putting in the request, but I guess we'll never know.

My other point was that accommodating children isn't always the way to go, especially if it is assumed that at some point you'll run into a kid every single day. Not everything can be catered to them. I understand they are fussy, it's up to the parents to bring appropriate entertainment for them, just as it it an adults responsibility to entertain themselves. That bein said, again, this is an adult world and catering to the 3-4 kids on every flight is pretty demanding of parents.

Also, from the sounds of it, no, the avengers would not under any circumstances be fine with these parents.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Eveille
The airline did overreact, that's obvious.

The parents ended up doing the right thing.

My entire issue is that they felt the need to ask for something to accommodate them without considering the others around them. I think you are too fairly assuming they consulted their seatmates before putting in the request, but I guess we'll never know.

My other point was that accommodating children isn't always the way to go, especially if it is assumed that at some point you'll run into a kid every single day. Not everything can be catered to them. I understand they are fussy, it's up to the parents to bring appropriate entertainment for them, just as it it an adults responsibility to entertain themselves. That bein said, again, this is an adult world and catering to the 3-4 kids on every flight is pretty demanding of parents.

Also, from the sounds of it, no, the avengers would not under any circumstances be fine with these parents.

You're right that we may never know if the others with access to the monitors were consulted in this, but my point was there's no reason to immediately jump all over the parents just for asking.

You're also right that people don't always need to accommodate people with children, but this is not a situation where that's the case. If you've got a group of people of various ages in a flying metal tube, that is clearly not the time to be peppering the air with curse words and adult situations, which the movie in question had plenty of. As for whether these parents would have approved of the Avengers or not, it doesn't really matter. My point was that there are movies that appeal to children and adults that the airline could have chosen from, but didn't.
Just give them some parachutes and toss the family off the plane.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Hasuki Aatisuto
Doesn't airlines usually hand out blindfolds and earplugs to people that does not want to watch/listen to the inflight movie? She could've just gotten those for her children and told them it's time to take a nap while the movie was playing.

I just think it's rather petty of them to have to divert from the route just to make ONE person happy VS about a hundred of others which are probably pretty pissed for various reasons.

that's not what happened.

the family asked that the movie stop, which didn't happen, so they did what they could to distract their children from the movie.

well, the captain took offense to them not wanting their children to watch the movie, and decided to divert the flight and try to have them arrested, citing "security concerns."

apparently, disliking the movie being shown is now seen as threatening behavior.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
azulmagia

I'm assuming that you are an entitled "child-free" individual?

azulmagia generated a random number between 1 and 85 ... 70!

Phallic Wonderland
azulmagia

I'm assuming that you are an entitled "child-free" individual?

If I were, then just give the kid a parachute.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff