Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sweet Humorist

15,425 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Informer 100
Is 11-year-old 'escaped child bride' who took the internet by storm telling the whole truth? Doubts emerge about Yemeni girl's story

Quote:
-Nada al-Ahdal claimed she was only saved after her uncle intervened
-Yemeni girl produced YouTube clip threatening to kill herself if married
-Children's rights group Seyaj says parents did not try to marry her off
-Parents also deny wanting to do so - but Nada still stands by her story
-Crunch meeting results in deal for Nada to live with parents and uncle

Millions of YouTube viewers were shocked by the harrowing video of an 11-year-old Yemeni girl who claimed she ran away to escape an arranged marriage.
But questions are now being raised about the authenticity of the claims by Nada al-Ahdal, who claimed she was only saved from the forced engagement after her uncle intervened.
Yemen's leading children’s rights group Seyaj now believes portions of the girl’s story were made up, and her parents have been keen to stress that they never wished to marry her off.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Family: A crunch meeting saw Nada (centre) face her parents (left) on camera with her uncle (right). An agreement was fixed that means Nada, her parents and uncle are going to move in together

But in a crunch meeting that saw Nada face her parents, the girl tearfully asked a mediator, Yemen Women's Union president Ramzia Al-Eryani: ‘Why do you believe them and don't believe me?’
In the dialogue captured on CNN cameras, Ms Al-Eryani said ‘We need to protect this child.’ She added: ‘I don't care about what's best for the mum or dad or uncle, just what's best for the girl.’
Following the meeting, which saw Nada and her uncle maintain that her story was definitely true, an agreement was fixed that means Nada, her parents and uncle are going to move in together.

Ms Al-Eryani had been appointed Nada's temporary legal guardian until the dispute was settled.
Ahmad Algorashi, president of Seyaj, had said on Saturday that his organisation did not believe Nada's parents tried to force her into marriage - a view shared by the Yemen Women's Union.
The drama follows the release of the video, dated July 8 and filmed by one of the girl’s friends, which saw Nada tell the camera: 'Go ahead and marry me off - I'll kill myself.

'Don't they have any compassion?' I'm better off dead. I'd rather die.' She continued: 'It’s not [the kids'] fault. I’m not the only one. It can happen to any child.''Some children decided to throw themselves into the sea, they’re dead now. They have killed our dreams, they have killed everything inside us.
‘There’s nothing left. There is no upbringing. This is criminal, this is simply criminal.'

In the video filmed in a car, she explained why she does not want to leave her family home, saying: 'I would have had no life, no education’.
'I ran away from marriage,'
she told CNN in an interview after the video had been viewed millions of times. 'I ran away from ignorance. I ran away from being bought and sold.'
The schoolgirl, one of eight children, was taken in by her uncle Abdel Salam al-Ahdal, when she was aged three.

But it is claimed that when a Yemeni expatriate living in Saudi Arabia asked her parents if he could marry her, they were said to have readily agreed.
Whether Nada's claims are true or not, the practice of marrying young girls is widespread in Yemen.

It has drawn the attention of international rights groups seeking to pressure the government to outlaw child marriages.
Yemen's gripping poverty plays a role in hindering efforts to stamp out the practice, as poor families find themselves unable to say no to bride-prices in the hundreds of dollars for their daughters.
More than a quarter of Yemen's females marry before the age of 15, according to a report in 2010 by the Social Affairs Ministry.
Tribal custom also plays a role, including the belief that a young bride can be shaped into an obedient wife, bear more children and be kept away from temptation.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Who cares if her story is true? It still has a certain truthiness to it that, most importantly, can be used to spread Western ideals and enlightenment to the ignorant Heathen masses.

Ferocious Browser

They need to follow up with the proposed husband since it states that his story aligns with the girl's, before making a call to label her a liar, even a partial liar. Also it would be good to know which parts precisely they claim she is lying about.

Either way, if I knew I'd grow up to be married off, even when I was older, and forced to cover myself up like that lady I think I'd hate my prospects for my life as well.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Who called this s**t happening? Did anyone see this coming? I know we should have. Of course they're going to lie, so human rights groups don't take their little cash calf.

Dapper Gawker

Eveille
They need to follow up with the proposed husband since it states that his story aligns with the girl's, before making a call to label her a liar, even a partial liar. Also it would be good to know which parts precisely they claim she is lying about.

Either way, if I knew I'd grow up to be married off, even when I was older, and forced to cover myself up like that lady I think I'd hate my prospects for my life as well.
It's ironic they cover up to keep from seducing men and there for "eliminating rape", buuuuut they get raped at much higher rates and most go unreported.
AnaI Crackers
Eveille

It's ironic they cover up to keep from seducing men and there for "eliminating rape", buuuuut they get raped at much higher rates and most go unreported.

Would you report a rape when the law states it is YOUR fault and potentially face the death penalty??

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
I watched a minute and a half of her tirade on youtube and clicked another link. As far as I was concerned, she's a spoiled brat who didn't get what she wanted from mommy and daddy so she ran to her uncle.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Parodically_Tragic
I watched a minute and a half of her tirade on youtube and clicked another link. As far as I was concerned, she's a spoiled brat who didn't get what she wanted from mommy and daddy so she ran to her uncle.

Are you an idiot? She's been living with her uncle since she was three, then 8 years later suddenly her family wants her back and it's only to sell her to someone else. I'm pretty sure not wanting to end up like her aunt, who set herself on fire when she was 14 to get out of a bad marriage, is not being a spoiled brat.

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
Alexander J Luthor
Parodically_Tragic

Are you an idiot? She's been living with her uncle since she was three, then 8 years later suddenly her family wants her back and it's only to sell her to someone else. I'm pretty sure not wanting to end up like her aunt, who set herself on fire when she was 14 to get out of a bad marriage, is not being a spoiled brat.
Oh look, a reaction. The english side of the story story i got was that she "ran away" to her uncle.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Parodically_Tragic
Alexander J Luthor
Parodically_Tragic

Oh look, a reaction.

Oh, look, and illiterate.

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
Alexander J Luthor
Parodically_Tragic
Alexander J Luthor
Parodically_Tragic

Oh look, a reaction.

Oh, look, and illiterate.
stare Someone didn't read the whole post.
Oh well.

Dapper Gawker

Old Blue Collar Joe
AnaI Crackers
Eveille

Would you report a rape when the law states it is YOUR fault and potentially face the death penalty??
I know why rape goes unreported, I'm saying covering their bodies from head to toe isn't giving the desired effect.
AnaI Crackers
Old Blue Collar Joe
AnaI Crackers
Eveille

I know why rape goes unreported, I'm saying covering their bodies from head to toe isn't giving the desired effect.

I know. They have this bizarre opinion that a v****a is like a black hole, and it sucks all p***s into it within a certain range, the men screaming and howling, fighting against the overwhelming suction of that evil t**t.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
Parodically_Tragic
Alexander J Luthor
Parodically_Tragic

Oh look, a reaction. The english side of the story story i got was that she "ran away" to her uncle.

I'm more inclined to believe the little girl. The parents are from a society which utilizes dishonesty on a regular basis. Having a bit of understanding on that makes me think the parents are just following up in order to prevent looking bad or being dishonored. For a little girl in that society to speak up about an issue like child brides in a public format is a huge deal.

Dapper Gawker

Old Blue Collar Joe
AnaI Crackers
Old Blue Collar Joe
AnaI Crackers
Eveille

I know. They have this bizarre opinion that a v****a is like a black hole, and it sucks all p***s into it within a certain range, the men screaming and howling, fighting against the overwhelming suction of that evil t**t.
I don't know how I can push out an 8 lb bowling ball through a hope the size of a quarter then get labeled as weak fragile and lesser than men.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff