Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

More Marvel superheroes will be back on screen this month. Only this time, Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS ) won't be responsible for the show.

Who is? 21st Century Fox (NASDAQ: FOX ) , which owns the film rights to Marvel superheroes known as the X-Men. Count Wolverine among its list of properties. He'll be back on the big screen July 26 when Hugh Jackman returns as the clawed Canadian mutant in The Wolverine, wherein the title character travels to Japan on a journey of self-discovery.

In 2009, Fox's X-Men Origins: Wolverine left Jackman in the position of trying to redeem a bad script. Only 38% of critics at the movie site Rotten Tomatoes liked the film. Audiences rated it higher (72% said they liked it), but they also didn't show up to the theater. The film earned just $179.9 million at the U.S. box office on a $150 million production budget, Box Office Mojo reports.

Early previews of the new film had offered little hope for the sequel, says Fool contributor and longtime comic book fan Tim Beyers. A new featurette changes that by revealing depth and storytelling lacking in Origins, Tim says.

This time, Fox is borrowing directly from the comics and a storyline composed by writer Chris Claremont and artist Frank Miller some 30 years ago. The result should be a better film for fans and general audiences, and a win for Fox investors hoping to see the studio make more of its film rights to Marvel superheroes.

Now it's your turn to weigh in. Do you like the direction Fox is taking, or would you rather see the X-Men back in Disney's hands? Leave a comment to let us know what you expect from The Wolverine, and whether you'd invest in 21st Century Fox at current prices. Source: Motley Fool*
*Which mainly deals with investments which is why its asking about investing in 21st Century Fox*

So Disney doesn't have the film rights to X-men. Doesn't look like they're hurting much without it.

Genius

Sure aren't.

/thread.

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
Disney
Sure aren't.

/thread.

Hmm...I'm not so sure now if you're asking for clothes despite appearing to be raking in the bucks at the movies Disney. wink

Genius

Wrenry
Disney
Sure aren't.

/thread.

Hmm...I'm not so sure now if you're asking for clothes despite appearing to be raking in the bucks at the movies Disney. wink

Is that the best you've got? Is that all you could use?

Really.

I didn't even read the lot of your post.

It was for rimshot sakes only. confused

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I'd rather like to see Disney pick up the rights to the X-Men, Spider Man, the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer, because, honestly, I could see them doing so much better with the properties than the current movie rights holders are.

Plus, with the Avengers now being a thing, I'd like to see a consolidated Marvel Movie Universe fully capable of crossovers and the like.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I dunno about these films vs comics myself. I think I can enjoy the movies more exactly because I don't follow the comics that closely.

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
Disney
Wrenry
Disney
Sure aren't.

/thread.

Is that the best you've got? Is that all you could use?

Really.

I didn't even read the lot of your post.

It was for rimshot sakes only. confused

Lets see I made the remark that Disney doesn't seem to be hurting because they don't have the film rights.

You said "Sure aren't.

Since your name is Disney and in your sig you're asking for clothes my response was to run with the gag.

So if you missed what I meant so be it.

Romantic Shapeshifter

i like what disney has done with the avengers, the movies were good (last iron man though they did the villan wrong)
the first x men movies were horrid in all ways they didnt follow any story lines propperly and they just did the characters wrong (except wolverine) the wolverine origins movie was not done right either so i think id like to see disney take a crack at it and see what they could do with it.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Disney should have the movie rights to all the Marvel franchises, since it would allow for a better, more connected Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not to mention possible references to things like The Daily Bugle and OzCorp. And the possibility of seeing Spider-man and/or Wolverine in an Avengers movie.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Honey of the South
Disney should have the movie rights to all the Marvel franchises, since it would allow for a better, more connected Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not to mention possible references to things like The Daily Bugle and OzCorp. And the possibility of seeing Spider-man and/or Wolverine in an Avengers movie.

Not to mention, Disney has a pretty good track record with their movies, in that they tend to not make genuinely bad ones.

Forgettable ones, sometimes, and the occasional regrettable-in-hindsight, but never out-and-out bad, in the way that the first Wolverine movie, or the Spiderman movies, or the X Men movies ( pretty well all but First Class, and even that was debatable in it's merits ) or Daredevil, or the Fantastic Four movies were bad.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I enjoyed the Xmen movies okay but I don't care too much one way or the other.

What I do find interesting is a movie is considered a failure because it ONLY generated $30 million in net profit in box office sales (plus any profits from spin off toys and such).
Also - Disney movies tend to be formulaic and predictable to Disney not being behind something is fine by me. Some of the Pixar stuff is still pretty cute.
When it comes to Marvel movies, Disney has done a beautiful and wonderful job. They have been very understanding and very good with source material and what the fans want.

The X-men movies just felt like Wolverine & Friends and don't get me started on their portrayel of Deadpool. To me, while the new Wolverine movie looks at least a little promising, it's probably not something I'll see because of the last one (and am I the only who's amused by the fact that they're trying to distance this movie from that one as much as possible?) I like the X-Men and the only characters they got right was Magneto and Proffessor X (who were played by brilliant actors, so maybe that was the saving grace, though I think Hugh Jackman did ok with what he was given). While there were times I was impressed with their nods to the comics and it's overall metaphor for every oppressed minority (such as the "have you tried not being a mutant?" in the second one, which was clearly a twist on "have you tried not being gay?" ), however that, while done really well in most cases, couldn't save it for me.

Fantastic Four movies were terrible, though they had maybe a few moments (can't remember them too well), and I would love to see Dr. Doom done properly. Daredevil, while not a hero I personally like, does have a fanbase and that movie was just horrendous.

As a fan of Ghost Rider, his cinematic debeuts have been a nightmare. He's a very cool character that didn't deserve what he was given. If he was given a completely new set of people to work on his movies, I'd wager he'd get at least a decent movie, maybe not the best, but something that was more dignified.

Spiderman's movies were fairly enjoyable, if campy, but did have a lot of nods to the comics (such as when he threw away the suit and walked away, which was a copy of a very famous page from the comics), but the third was a mess and a disastor. I have no idea what possesed everyone in charge of the story, but something had gone terribly wrong.

It would be cool to see these guys in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which I've loved and enjoyed very much so far. It might not happen for awhile though, since these studios are gonna pimp out these characters as much as possible before giving them up.
JamesWN
I dunno about these films vs comics myself. I think I can enjoy the movies more exactly because I don't follow the comics that closely.
agreed

Blessed Tactician

11,250 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Contributor 150
When you mention "Fox" and "Anything entertaining", it makes me think of Firefly.
And then I begin to stab things while remembering what Fox did to Firefly.

******** everything named Fox.

Greedy Consumer

Voice of the Ancients
Spiderman's movies were fairly enjoyable, if campy, but did have a lot of nods to the comics (such as when he threw away the suit and walked away, which was a copy of a very famous page from the comics), but the third was a mess and a disastor. I have no idea what possesed everyone in charge of the story, but something had gone terribly wrong.
They were trying to market it to the teen audience by presenting him as an emo xd

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff