Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
NH Man Loses Life Savings On Carnival Game

Henry Gribbohm says he lost his life savings, $2,600, on a carnival game and all he has to show for it is a stuffed banana with dreadlocks.

“You’re expecting the kids to win a few things, let the kids have a good time,” said Gribbohm. “It just didn’t turn out that way.”

Gribbohm says he attended a Manchester carnival run by New Hampshire-based Fiesta Shows and wanted to win an Xbox Kinect at a game called Tubs of Fun where contestants toss balls into a tub. When he practiced he says it was easy, but something changed when he started playing for the prize and the balls kept popping out.

The 30-year-old from Epsom says he kept trying to win back his money by going double or nothing. He dropped $300 in just a few minutes, then says he went home to get $2,300 more and soon lost all of that as well.

“You just get caught up in the whole ‘I’ve got to win my money back.’”

Fiesta Shows says the game is run by an independent contractor who has worked for Fiesta for years. Fiesta tells WBZ-TV it is interviewing the contractor to “get to the bottom of what happened” and the game is not being set up at the upcoming carnival in Derry.

“They’ve been with us quite a while,” said Fiesta Vice President John Flynn. “First I ever heard of anything like that.”

Flynn said he did not know the name of the contractor off hand, and said it was “pretty next to impossible” to lose such a large amount of money at the game.

“I know it’s a difficult game. I’ve tried it myself — I’ve done it once, missed probably 20 times,” he said.

Henry says he went back the next day to complain, and the man running the game gave him back $600. Henry split with the banana and the cash, and filed a report with the Manchester Police Department.

Manchester Police Lieutenant Maureen Tessier says the department is investigating to determine if there was any fraud.

The traveling carnival is now setting up in Derry, NH, but you will not see Tubs Of Fun. Fiesta said the independent contractor that runs the game is not allowed to set up while an investigation is taking place.

Gribbohm says he is considering a lawsuit.

“For once in my life I happened to become that sucker,” said Gribbohm. “It was foolish for putting up my life savings.”

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
And I thought that I lacked self-control, what with my inability to resist those crane things that I know are rigged but play anyway 'cause I won twice in my life and this may just be the time I get a plushie for just one dollar!

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
When he lost the first two times, he should have stopped.

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

X

User Image
            emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm
            Ok I spent 40$ on a prize at the fair here once, it was a big fox plushie, but I had already spent that 40$ on tokens to play games and there were no other prizes I wanted. I got lucky on my last try. But I wasn't going to spend anymore even if I didn't win.

It's nice to have fun and lose a few but come on, you shouldn't spend your life saving over a silly plush banana.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Saw this on the news and saw that freakin ugly thing. Seriously. That?
Not even worth it if I were to win it on the first try.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Jin Love
X

User Image
            It's nice to have fun and lose a few but come on, you shouldn't spend your life saving over a silly plush banana.

Actually, he wanted a XBox Kincet but ended up with a silly plushie banana. He was not actively trying to go for the banana. Even then he should've known it would be far cheaper to go into a store and buy it directly, but I guess he had too much euphoria to realize this.

Besides, games at carnivals are usually heavily rigged against you - such as bottles filled with water or sand to make it harder for you to knock them off, or bigger/smaller openings which makes it harder (or even impossible) for you to accurately put something on/through it, and so on.

I avoid carnival games like the plague.

King Noob

totally worth spending your life savings for a toy smile

now what pisses me off about this guy is the fact that he is trying to get his money back AND how he filed a report with the police AND a lawsuit.

You lost your money, suck it up. Should have been smarter about it in the first place. Don't go blaming the carnival....... The only way he CAN blame the carnival is if they physically just took his money.

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

Hasuki Aatisuto
Jin Love
X

User Image

Actually, he wanted a XBox Kincet but ended up with a silly plushie banana. He was not actively trying to go for the banana. Even then he should've known it would be far cheaper to go into a store and buy it directly, but I guess he had too much euphoria to realize this.

Besides, games at carnivals are usually heavily rigged against you - such as bottles filled with water or sand to make it harder for you to knock them off, or bigger/smaller openings which makes it harder (or even impossible) for you to accurately put something on/through it, and so on.

I avoid carnival games like the plague.
Ahh I missed that part thanks. =D

He coulda just bought the xbox then after all that money he spent. xD

Geared Spirit

Dumbass...

~ $2600 is not enough to consider it 'life savings', it's barely a down payment on a used car.
~ Stop playing the game you stupid s**t, show some restraint.
~ Stop blaming others for your failure.

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
I don't even spend that much playing games. To me, if a popular video game console is a prize at a carnival game, it's not worth it.

Aged Lunatic

How many years have carnies been running these hustles, and yet people don't still realize that it IS a hustle? You think they wouldn't run this if they knew it wasn't in their favor? No sympathy for this idiot.

Kawaii Cutie-Pie

Spiritual Machine
~ $2600 is not enough to consider it 'life savings', it's barely a down payment on a used car.

^ for some people that is their life savings, or even more than their life savings. There are plenty of people who are simply that poor. Otherwise I completely agree with you.

Liberal Cutie-Pie

11,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I'm tired of how stupid people are.... stare

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
LOL. His "life savings" comes out to $86 for every year he's been alive. Obviously he is a man of great forethought.
Ratttking
LOL. His "life savings" comes out to $86 for every year he's been alive. Obviously he is a man of great forethought.

lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces