Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Hunter

Quote:
Colorado police searching for a missing 10-year-old girl said Sunday they found her backpack in a subdivision more than six miles away from her home, their first break in the case.
Police would not say what items were in the bag belonging to Jessica Ridgeway, who has been missing since Friday, except that some of the items had her name on them.
A homeowner in a subdivision in Superior found the bag on the sidewalk outside his house about 6.4 miles from the girl's hometown of Westminster. Both towns are along the Denver-Boulder Turnpike.

"We're trying to determine when it got there, why it got there," Westminster Police Investigator Trevor Materasso said, adding it's a big break in the case.

A bloodhound is being used at the scene where the bag was found, Materasso said.
Police had not previously been searching for Jessica in the area. They are now interviewing nearby residents, Materasso said.

Jessica was last seen by her mother as she left for school walking to a friend's house. Authorities then issued a statewide Amber Alert for Jessica, who has blue eyes, blonde hair, and glasses.

She was last seen wearing blue jeans, a black puffy jacket with pink lining, and black boots with pom-poms, according to the Amber Alert.

Suspect charged in Wales over missing girl

Source

Playful Guildswoman

kakteed
Quote:
Colorado police searching for a missing 10-year-old girl said Sunday they found her backpack in a subdivision more than six miles away from her home, their first break in the case.
Police would not say what items were in the bag belonging to Jessica Ridgeway, who has been missing since Friday, except that some of the items had her name on them.
A homeowner in a subdivision in Superior found the bag on the sidewalk outside his house about 6.4 miles from the girl's hometown of Westminster. Both towns are along the Denver-Boulder Turnpike.

"We're trying to determine when it got there, why it got there," Westminster Police Investigator Trevor Materasso said, adding it's a big break in the case.

A bloodhound is being used at the scene where the bag was found, Materasso said.
Police had not previously been searching for Jessica in the area. They are now interviewing nearby residents, Materasso said.

Jessica was last seen by her mother as she left for school walking to a friend's house. Authorities then issued a statewide Amber Alert for Jessica, who has blue eyes, blonde hair, and glasses.

She was last seen wearing blue jeans, a black puffy jacket with pink lining, and black boots with pom-poms, according to the Amber Alert.

Source

Sadly, the most likely scenario is that the backpack was thrown alone out of a car which then kept going - bloodhounds are likely to get nothing - although the two points could establish a direction of travel.

I am glad we have the amber alert system and sorry that we need it.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
jellykans
Sadly, the most likely scenario is that the backpack was thrown alone out of a car which then kept going - bloodhounds are likely to get nothing - although the two points could establish a direction of travel.

I thought about this too. If she was kidnapped it seems pretty unlikely the kidnappers would accidentally drop her backpack in the middle of a sidewalk in front of a house that had nothing to do with the kidnapping. I doubt it would be a likely indicator of direction of travel though. If it was a drop it seems logical it would be a misdirection.

It is possible the kid actually walked that far. My grandson has walked about that distance when he was six and my daughter would sometimes walk round trip to Walmart and back. That's about three miles each way plus walking around the store. Usually they took a bus but they have done it all on foot before.

Also, I'm trying to remember how old my cousin was when he walked home from school one day. Possibly older than 6 but not a lot. In the middle of the school day he just decided he was going home and he did. When the school figured out he was missing they were concerned (of course) but no one thought he knew the way home or would walk that far so everyone was surprised when they found him at home.

Unfortunately the outcome with this girl is likely to be a much more unhappy ending.

Deadly Wrangler

Do you think the body they found recently is the little girl?

Wintry Dragon

What was the cut-off time when investigators think that thechances of kidnapped children being found becomes unlikely? 1 day? 3 days?

Fashionable Hunter

LeCleo

This says no.

The body in the video looks a little big to be a 5th grader's, though I have seen some tall 5th graders.

Fashionable Hunter

A mali
What was the cut-off time when investigators think that thechances of kidnapped children being found becomes unlikely? 1 day? 3 days?

I haven't found the answer to that yet, but

Quote:
According to a 2006 study, Case Management for Missing Children Homicide: Report II, the murder of an abducted child is a rare event; an estimated 100 such incidents occur in the United States each year; however, the study further found that 76.2 percent of abducted children who are murdered are dead within three hours of the abduction.

Source

Deadly Wrangler

kakteed
LeCleo

This says no.

The body in the video looks a little big to be a 5th graders, though I have seen some tall 5th graders.

oh ok. I was just going off by local news since I live close... which is... creepy, but that's just worse, a missing girl and a murdered child.

Fashionable Hunter

LeCleo
kakteed
LeCleo

This says no.

The body in the video looks a little big to be a 5th grader's, though I have seen some tall 5th graders.

oh ok. I was just going off by local news since I live close... which is... creepy, but that's just worse, a missing girl and a murdered child.

No prob. I went to look it up because I didn't hear about the body smile

Undead Enchantress

A mali

Quote:
In 76 percent of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child was dead within three hours of the abduction–and in 88.5 percent of the cases the child was dead within 24 hours.

source
I seriously hope they find this little girl!

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
jellykans
kakteed
Quote:

Source

If it was thrown, there is a chance that there are fingerprints of the kidnapper on it.

Deadly Wrangler

The body did belong to the little girl... I just hope they find who did it... And soon before more kids head out for Halloween.

Fashionable Hunter

LeCleo

The body did belong to the little girl... I just hope they find who did it... And soon before more kids head out for Halloween.

******** :/

Distinct Shapeshifter

i actually live in colorado they have comfirmed the body is hers but arnt releasing any more info confused there was also a girl in cody wyoming who was kidnapped but was found walking back into town to super far away good for her i guess....whats with fall and kidnapping little girls confused

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff