Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

For one man in Arizona, getting pulled over by a police officer might have been the best thing to ever happen to him.

Phoenix Police Sgt. Natalie Simonick, 46, was on patrol around 11 p.m., when she saw a young man walking alone in a dark and desolate area who she thought might be violating curfew.

"And I pulled over and I asked him what he was doing," Simonick told ABCNews.com. "He said, 'Walking home, I missed the bus.'"

After the young man, Christian Felix, showed Simonick his ID proving he was 18 years old, the sergeant offered Felix a courtesy ride home. Then Simonick learned Felix had never ridden a bike before.

"He never had a father in his life, so he had no one to teach him," Simonick said.

By the end of the ride home Simonick was shocked. It turned out Felix would walk the 9 mile distance to his home from his job at McDonald's if he missed his bus.

Simonick was impressed by the young man. "He doesn't drink and doesn't smoke," she said. "He had never had any contact with police as far as negative contact."

After that night, Simonick spoke to her husband, who said she could give Felix their extra bike. The other members of her squad agreed to help teach Felix how to ride a bike.

"It's really something when someone comes up on the street and offers to do a kindness for you," Felix told ABC affiliate KNXV. "These days you don't see anything like that."

Last month, Felix had his first bike lesson at the Phoenix police precinct parking lot.

"Two of my officers stood on either side of him and pushed him," Simonick said. "He was a little wobbly and rode into one of the poles, but my guys were right there to catch him."

After 45 minutes, Felix was riding on his own, and he and Simonick rode together around the lot.

Since then, the two have kept in touch, and Simonick said she wants to continue to help Felix. So what's Simonick's next project?

"Well he did say that he's never driven a car before," Simonick joked. "First things first I'll see how he does with the bicycle."

As for the attention, Simonick said she just wanted to show Felix that there are people out there who care.

"If everybody could help just one person in the world like this, I think it would definitely be a better place to life."

Good Story!

Hallowed Sex Symbol

8,850 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Good cops. smile Nice to see a Samaritan story, to counteract all the crap in the news these days.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Just in time for Bike to Work Week, May 13-17.
Kudo's not only to the officer, and her fellow officers, but to the media in the area for carrying the story. I still believe there are more good cops than bad, and this is evidence of it.

Dedicated Student

This is so cool.

Friendly Wench

"He never had a father in his life, so he had no one to teach him," Simonick said.
His mom couldn't teach him? . _ .
But yeah, good story.

Wintry Dragon

Nice. A happy story.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Aww, that's just so sweet of them to teach a total stranger how to ride a bike... and eventually drive a car. emotion_bigheart

We definitely need more stories like these nowadays.

Apocalyptic Rogue

21,100 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cheercrusher 50

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Well, that was rather uplifting after having just come from thread about the cops clubbing that other guy to death.
I like hearing stories where cops are nice, it gives me a smile.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
David2074
Well, that was rather uplifting after having just come from thread about the cops clubbing that other guy to death.
I haven't heard of that one.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
xdivision_whitey
David2074
I haven't heard of that one.

It's here in the news forum.
California dad 'begged for his life' as police beat him.....

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
It's good to know that not all cops are bad people.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff