19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Pessimist
Ratttking
Pessimist
Ratttking
Mmmhmm. So, we're not instituting a full and proper quarantine for the measles. Wonderful. Flu is not quarantined at all apparently and causes numerous deaths each year. Not touching on HIV, I see, for which there is no vaccine and thus can only be completely prevented from transmitting via quarantine. Herd immunity is not in effect for HIV.

It's hypocritical to want ANYONE who is unvaccinated allowed in. His special snowflake is far more likely to contract and transmit a disease than a person with a properly functioning immune system, yet he does not care of the risks his son and others like him pose to the public. I asked this before, whom would he blame if his son were infected by one of the kids who was not vaccinated for medical reasons? He's A-OK with their presence. What if he got it from a young child who had not yet received his second MMR and was in the 2-5% for whom the first shot did not take effectively? If he wants to think of unvaccinated kids as potential vectors, he need look no farther than his own sickly offspring to find one.

Are we still talking about travel restrictions? Because if we are, then no one needs to travel in or out-of-country, ever, it is a choice for them to do so. If we are talking schooling, the kids of anti-vaxxers have no choice as to their medical treatment, so why do you not show the same pity for them, and for the offspring of religious nut-jobs? These kids might develop sense and get their shots when they grow up, but the allergic people will remain allergic and unvaccinated and thus potential vectors for the rest of their lives. Hopefully the immunocompromised will recover to the point they can receive their shots, but if not, they too remain potential vectors forever.

emotion_facepalm Ratt, I should make you do my medical micro classwork. You are missing some key points with your bizarre insistence that all diseases be treated equally. The world does not work that way. Microbiology DEFINITELY does not work that way. Neither does immunology.
If I wouldn't have to pay, what, $500 for the textbook, I'd love to take you up on it. I don't recall saying all diseases should be regarded equally, I believe I said contagious diseases causing risk of death or words to that effect. Now, if you can show me that the risk of acquiring and/or transmitting a preventable disease is significantly higher for a child who is unvacced because of his parents' beliefs than for a child with allergies (obviously you needn't bother for immunocompromised, as it is higher), and why, I will regard the subject as closed. Please don't mince words or dumb things down.

You seemed to have overlooked the pity question. It was not rhetorical, it is valid, so please answer.

Actually, I was able to rent the textbook for something in the $25~$30 range. I was pleasantly surprised by that. Now to keep the rabbit from eating it so I don't have to pay full price.

As for the pity question, no, I'm not really being moved by pity. More out of understanding and a virulent (har har) hatred of this 'anti-vaxx' bullshit. I just accept that you cannot vaccinate 100% of the population and you cannot fix an immune system. If you could, I would definitely not be spending 2+ weeks getting over what amounts to a 3 day cold in others. So I understand that the immune system can be a crap shoot at times. The same with human health in general.

I argue instead because I want people to be aware of just how horrible the anti-vaccination movement it and just how dangerous it is on a public health front. People talk about how the chickpox is 'mild', but seriously? I vividly remember having it, and I couldn't have been older then preschool. It was horrible. I still have literal scars from it on my torso because child-me couldn't stop scratching. I would have killed for the chicken pox immunization. And it horrifies me that parents would somehow find inflicting that misery on their children preferable to a freaking *shot*. To me it's tantamount to child abuse. And that's not even going into the probability of shingles later in life.

And finally, sorry, I really don't feel like arguing micro and epidemiology right now, so I won't continue anymore. I'm tired and I have a bloody genetics exam to worry about. Maybe this weekend when I pick up that classwork again.
eek Holy crapski. I paid more than that for secondhand texts in the 80s. Is this practice common?

I think the anti-vaxxers are stupid myself, but that does not mean their children should have no rights to public education because of them while unvacced allergic and sick kids get a pass. Frankly, as allergic to everything as each year's new crop of kids turns out, I think we'll soon reach the point that there will be too many of them for herd immunity to work, so what do you propose doing when - not if - that occurs?

I wonder if you have the same cold I do, the one that's stuck around since the end of last year. Everybody I've talked to that's had it was sick for weeks. Feel better and good luck on your test. Please PM me to continue when you feel up to it, as this thread should be long-gone by then but I am enjoying our discussion.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
LetTheEaglesSoar
Ratttking
LetTheEaglesSoar
Ratttking
It's hypocritical to want ANYONE who is unvaccinated allowed in.

... How possibly is it hypocritical to make an exception for people who can't be vaccinated against measles into a school? When herd immunity conditions are met by the recommended guidelines set by health agencies? I think it's 94%
Because it still allows the possibility of disease spreading and that is what he opposes, whereas 100% immunization should not, except of course for those rare cases in which a vaccinated person still contracts the disease, meaning his child could still get it if he attends.

This father is also exceedingly foolish in not thinking of the other diseases his immunocompromised child will be exposed to, such as viruses like the 'common cold' sort for which there is no vaccine, not to mention the numerous bacteria that children and schools are laden with.

You're taking his words out of context and attributing things to him that he didn't say. Expecting 100% immunization is an impossibility.

Why would the father bother mentioning diseases that are irrelevant to his argument concerning herd immunity.

Quote:
don't recall saying all diseases should be regarded equally, I believe I said contagious diseases causing risk of death or words to that effect.

I'd like to point out that every contagious disease carries the risk of death. Even the common cold.
No, it is not at all impossible to have all students and staff vaccinated, you will simply have to exclude all of the ones that can't or won't get it . Or, I'm sorry, you mean 100% guaranteed immunity?I already said that is impossible, but that cutting out the most likely candidates for illness such as the article's child in question is the best scenario for all.

Why he would not even consider other types of illnesses his son might get in public school in his current fragile state is what I'm upset by. He should have the boy tutored at home like kids with mono and such receive, perhaps via computer, until his immune system recovers to the point he can be safe in public - and get his shots.
No, you're wrong. Most strains of HPV are non-fatal, but highly communicable.

Tipsy Rogue

9,575 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Scarred Sword Heart
User Image

Typical USA school BS. Peanuts aren't allowed, but unvaccinated kids are.

User Image

God Bless This Great Nation.
This reminds me of the woman who lost her 3 year old to the flu. Which makes me think.... Without shots/with shots. I don't think children/adults are safe. I don't think preventing children without shots going to school would keep them from interacting with other children who have.

Like on the playground, or the grocery store, etc.
Ratttking
LetTheEaglesSoar
Ratttking
LetTheEaglesSoar
Ratttking
It's hypocritical to want ANYONE who is unvaccinated allowed in.

... How possibly is it hypocritical to make an exception for people who can't be vaccinated against measles into a school? When herd immunity conditions are met by the recommended guidelines set by health agencies? I think it's 94%
Because it still allows the possibility of disease spreading and that is what he opposes, whereas 100% immunization should not, except of course for those rare cases in which a vaccinated person still contracts the disease, meaning his child could still get it if he attends.

This father is also exceedingly foolish in not thinking of the other diseases his immunocompromised child will be exposed to, such as viruses like the 'common cold' sort for which there is no vaccine, not to mention the numerous bacteria that children and schools are laden with.

You're taking his words out of context and attributing things to him that he didn't say. Expecting 100% immunization is an impossibility.

Why would the father bother mentioning diseases that are irrelevant to his argument concerning herd immunity.

Quote:
don't recall saying all diseases should be regarded equally, I believe I said contagious diseases causing risk of death or words to that effect.

I'd like to point out that every contagious disease carries the risk of death. Even the common cold.
No, it is not at all impossible to have all students and staff vaccinated, you will simply have to exclude all of the ones that can't or won't get it . Or, I'm sorry, you mean 100% guaranteed immunity?I already said that is impossible, but that cutting out the most likely candidates for illness such as the article's child in question is the best scenario for all.

Why he would not even consider other types of illnesses his son might get in public school in his current fragile state is what I'm upset by. He should have the boy tutored at home like kids with mono and such receive, perhaps via computer, until his immune system recovers to the point he can be safe in public - and get his shots.

Herd immunity doesn't require 100% vaccination. It's patently absurd to expect health guidelines that no health agency believes in.

At no point in the article did it even suggest that he "would not even consider other types of illnesses." Making up beliefs and attributing them to people is poor form. Neither is homeschooling a child for an indeterminate period of time recommended by... anyone. Guess what? The tutor could pick up and pass off an illness. Being mad that people don't take the extreme route possible makes no sense.

Cancer resulting from HPV kills thousands of people a year. You are wrong.

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
This whole thing about the measles... emotion_facepalm That disease made my grandma deaf and my uncle almost died...
(What about not getting immunizations because insurance doesn't cover it or cases of bad trypanophobia?)

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
LetTheEaglesSoar
Ratttking
LetTheEaglesSoar
Ratttking
LetTheEaglesSoar

Quote:

Herd immunity doesn't require 100% vaccination. It's patently absurd to expect health guidelines that no health agency believes in.

At no point in the article did it even suggest that he "would not even consider other types of illnesses." Making up beliefs and attributing them to people is poor form. Neither is homeschooling a child for an indeterminate period of time recommended by... anyone. Guess what? The tutor could pick up and pass off an illness. Being mad that people don't take the extreme route possible makes no sense.

Cancer resulting from HPV kills thousands of people a year. You are wrong.
I never said it did, but 100% vaccination would be the surest means of schools preventing the spread of disease, and thus the most logical to strive for. I'm not mad and IDK why you think I am, I don't care one way or another if unvacced kids are in school, but it is extremely discriminatory to ban some but not all and I oppose discrimination against healthy people.

If he had, he would not even think of sending his child to school until he fully recovers. I suggested also that his teaching be via computer, eliminating direct exposure to anyone but his family, who are of course the pictures of heath at all times. I'd love to see your source showing that tutoring is bad.

Did you not know there are more than 100 types of HPVs? Only 13 are known to cause cancer, so you are wrong. Most HPV infections resolve on their own, and most of the chronic infections can be annoying but are non-lethal.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Mathew Mii
This whole thing about the measles... emotion_facepalm That disease made my grandma deaf and my uncle almost died...
(What about not getting immunizations because insurance doesn't cover it or cases of bad trypanophobia?)
Immunizations can be obtained for free and as you are at no risk of suffering anaphylaxis and possibly dying from your fear, you will have to suck it up and get vaccinated like the rest of us who despise needles.

Wheezing Kitten

26,865 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
Kids who aren't vaccinated pose a health threat to others. It's as simple as that.

Gambino Businessman

12,450 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
What a load BS if he doesn't want his kid to get sick then put him in a bubble.
I don't if he is aware of this but children filth creatures. Also forcing parents to vaccinate their kids for non life threatening sicknesses is bloody stupid.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Murder Toys
What a load BS if he doesn't want his kid to get sick then put him in a bubble.
I don't if he is aware of this but children filth creatures. Also forcing parents to vaccinate their kids for non life threatening sicknesses is bloody stupid.
Except measles is one of the leading causes of death for young children worldwide, 16 die every hour from the disease.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs286/en/
I hope for the child's sake, they do bar unvaccinated children.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lady Kariel
Then he should be barred too, as he is unvaccinated.
Ratttking
Lady Kariel

Well why isn't he vaccinated? I thought he would have been already.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lady Kariel
Ratttking
Lady Kariel

Well why isn't he vaccinated? I thought he would have been already.
He probably was as an infant, at one year old, but the poor kid got cancer at 18 mos and the treatment both wiped out his immunity to the diseases and his immune system. The latter should recover in time, but until then he can't be immunized and faces serious risks from any sort of infection - like a cold. I think this father is either a complete idiot who doesn't think of things like that or a total a*****e who would risk his child's life just to make his own hypocritical point. This guy is totally fine with kids who are unvaccinated for medical reasons rather than the beliefs of the parents, but doesn't seem to care that both groups are just as likely to acquire measles as each other. Actually, in some cases, the medically unvacced kids would be more likely to contract illness because of their systems being weakened already.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff