Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Police are searching for two drivers who hit and seriously injured a 7-year-old girl in South Seattle Tuesday evening.

The girl was crossing the street near Martin Luther King Jr. Way and South Genesee Street just after 6:30 p.m. when she was hit by a red or maroon Chevy Tahoe SUV, according to police.

A second car -- described by witnesses as a gold Acura Legend -- then hit the already-injured girl as she lay in the road, according to police.

Both vehicles sped away without stopping to help the girl.

"They hit her like a dog. Just ran over her, not stopping, no nothing. They sped up, not stopping at all -- neither one of them," said one man who witnessed the incident.

Other neighbors who saw the girl get hit were irate that the drivers would leave without helping.

"That man -- or whoever it was -- that hit that baby, they had no business driving like that," one woman said. "You should have slowed down is what you should have done."

Medics arrived on scene moments later and found the girl unresponsive. She was rushed to Harborview Medical Center and is currently listed in critical condition, according to Kyle Moore with the Seattle Fire Department.

Omar Tillis lives in the area and said the intersection is notorious for being unsafe. He said his ex-wife was hit in the same crosswalk.

"Daily, I see people speed through the pass as the kids are getting off," Tillis said. "I've warned my kids a couple times to do a double take before they move."

In a Tuesday evening press release, police said the girl was 10-years old, but Moore later confirmed she is 7.

Traffic was temporarily rerouted around crash site while police investigated.

Poor Girl

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Quote:
Martin Luther King Jr. Way

Stopped feeling bad they took off as soon as I saw that. The correct course of action, of course, would be to go turn yourself in at a police station after hurrying away from the scene as fast as possible. Considering people's lives have been turned upside down by an unavoidable accident though, while it's wrong to keep going ANY TIME you hit any living creature, I can understand why people who have some clown jump out at them in the middle of the road would run away and try not to get caught.

Don't play in the road, don't expect cars will stop for you, and for the love of everything you hold dear, don't stop in the middle of the ghetto if you hit someone. /good advice

edit: Also, the parents should be charged with child endangerment. There's a picture in the article of where it happened, and I'm sorry, a 7 year old should be supervised at all times. It is clear malicious negligence to let a kid wander around in a roadway which is clearly several lanes and very busy. Drivers cannot be expected to act as babysitters to your spawn, people.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
And this is something that pisses me off. In a lot of areas it usually does take a death just to put up a damn stop sign. A STOP SIGN. A tool telling people to slow the ******** down and pay attention to what they're doing. You cannot get one unless it's a life or death situation.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
And this is something that pisses me off. In a lot of areas it usually does take a death just to put up a damn stop sign. A STOP SIGN. A tool telling people to slow the ******** down and pay attention to what they're doing. You cannot get one unless it's a life or death situation.
It says that she was crossing NEAR an intersection, which sounds like she was not crossing where she was supposed to. Stop signs are no help when jaywalking is involved. One of my neighbors was hit by a car when jaywalking (while drunk) and although his leg was badly mangled HE was the one charged, not the driver.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Alexander J Luthor

Not everyone stops for a stop sign. Not everyone stops for a school bus at a bus stop either.
Here where I live, there are those who... do not stop at the traffic light. Instead, they run through the red light. People speed through here too.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
It says that she was crossing NEAR an intersection, which sounds like she was not crossing where she was supposed to. Stop signs are no help when jaywalking is involved. One of my neighbors was hit by a car when jaywalking (while drunk) and although his leg was badly mangled HE was the one charged, not the driver.

Ah, missed that and focused on the "this intersection has had problems for years" bit.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Nyadriel
Alexander J Luthor

Not everyone stops for a stop sign. Not everyone stops for a school bus at a bus stop either.
Here where I live, there are those who... do not stop at the traffic light. Instead, they run through the red light. People speed through here too.

My town just added a ton of new cameras at the intersections. Mail-in tickets have gone up a good 30% and I couldn't be happier. Some assholes I hope roll over on the highway, like the Canadian woman who sped through a construction lane, at a red light, while smoking and talking on her phone. Two people swerved and almost hit the dig truck.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Kai-Shan Valandria
and I'm sorry, a 7 year old should be supervised at all times. It is clear malicious negligence to let a kid wander around in a roadway which is clearly several lanes and very busy. Drivers cannot be expected to act as babysitters to your spawn, people.

Kids seven and younger used to go all over their neighborhoods without adult supervision. Why this insistence that everyone under 14 needs to be constantly monitored?

What's needed is the pedestrian bridge the news video mentioned.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Nyadriel
Alexander J Luthor

My town just added a ton of new cameras at the intersections. Mail-in tickets have gone up a good 30% and I couldn't be happier. Some assholes I hope roll over on the highway, like the Canadian woman who sped through a construction lane, at a red light, while smoking and talking on her phone. Two people swerved and almost hit the dig truck.
I love those cameras too. We have a number of them here. Speed limit is 25 mph in my town, but idiots seem to think that is the minimum, not max. We have a big food and classic car festival in the autumn during which cops stand on the main road with radar guns to catch speeders - I would love to know how much money is made from ticketing then. twisted

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Alexander J Luthor

I'm not sure why you are on about stop signs. That had nothing to do with this situation.
The problem was a*****e drivers and possibly the little girl ran out into the street without looking for traffic. 7 years old sounds pretty young but it does appear to have housing quite close to the intersection.

Anyway - I looked at the intersection in google maps. It has street lights. But Martin Luther King Jr. Way is a fairly major street, divided down the middle by what appears to be light rail. My point being it appears to be a main drag with probably a higher speed limit than some residential side street. It does not excuse the cars not stopping after hitting the girl but it suggests they were not just racing too fast down some small residential side street.

If you are interested you can see the street / intersection yourself by going to google maps and searching on
Martin Luther King Jr. Way and South Genesee Street, Seattle, WA
(then just click on the satellite view)

Undead Enchantress

Is the Death Race still on? How many points do children give you? 70? I don't think the second driver should be awarded anything.

Oh wait. This is real? sweatdrop

Shy Bunny

3,725 Points
  • Married 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Dressed Up 200
that story brakes my heart i'll pray for the girls and there familes

TyrasLee's Partner

Colorful Knight

Kai-Shan Valandria
Quote:
Martin Luther King Jr. Way

Stopped feeling bad they took off as soon as I saw that. The correct course of action, of course, would be to go turn yourself in at a police station after hurrying away from the scene as fast as possible. Considering people's lives have been turned upside down by an unavoidable accident though, while it's wrong to keep going ANY TIME you hit any living creature, I can understand why people who have some clown jump out at them in the middle of the road would run away and try not to get caught.

Don't play in the road, don't expect cars will stop for you, and for the love of everything you hold dear, don't stop in the middle of the ghetto if you hit someone. /good advice

edit: Also, the parents should be charged with child endangerment. There's a picture in the article of where it happened, and I'm sorry, a 7 year old should be supervised at all times. It is clear malicious negligence to let a kid wander around in a roadway which is clearly several lanes and very busy. Drivers cannot be expected to act as babysitters to your spawn, people.

Whether the child was playing in the street, crossing the strettwhatever. It is LAW to not flee the scene of an accident. They need to own up.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
The drivers that left the girl after hitting her are pricks, but is anyone else not wondering where the parents were, I mean you do not let a seven year old go alone like this.

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Scarred Sword Heart
Kai-Shan Valandria
and I'm sorry, a 7 year old should be supervised at all times. It is clear malicious negligence to let a kid wander around in a roadway which is clearly several lanes and very busy. Drivers cannot be expected to act as babysitters to your spawn, people.

Kids seven and younger used to go all over their neighborhoods without adult supervision. Why this insistence that everyone under 14 needs to be constantly monitored?

What's needed is the pedestrian bridge the news video mentioned.

i see 7-10 year old running around all the time without adult supervision.. kids are like dogs: sometimes their trained by a good owner other times their trained by a bad owner & on occasion you see one on a leash.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff