Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fluffy Fatcat

11,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Heckler 50
School program

Thu, 08 May 2014 13:54:32 PDT

Gender stereotypes strike again. This time an after-school club in the U.K. has given five-year-old Romeo Clarke the boot—not because he’s committing offenses like biting other children or swearing at teachers. Nope, the child’s intolerable infraction is that he likes to wear princess dresses.

Romeo, who lives in the town of Rugby, about 70 miles north of London, was kicked out of the Buzz Children’s Club after-school program, which is run by the Rugby Christian Fellowship. Romeo has attended the school since September, but three weeks ago the club’s staff told his mother, Georgina Clarke, that his attire was “confusing” the other children.

Clarke told the Mirror that the head of the club “took me to one side after I dropped him off and said, ‘Romeo will be welcomed back when he wears clothes [that] match his gender.’ ”

“I was so cross when I was told he couldn’t wear dresses I was speechless. All I could ask was why,” said Clarke.

The head of the after-school program, Bex Venable, said that Romeo is simply being “asked to wear clothing of the gender stated on his registration form, which states male.” Venable also said that the program’s request is in line with the policy of Romeo’s school, which has separate uniforms for boys and girls.

Romeo has amassed an incredible dress collection. He has 100 dresses, some of which are probably hand-me-downs from his three older sisters. The adorable child also has eight pairs of kiddie heels, wears nail polish, and enjoys playing with Barbie dolls.

Although men and boys have worn skirts or “dresses” for much of history—the Greeks considered wearing pants something only barbarians did—in modern times we’ve gender-segregated clothing, toys, personal care products, and even school backpacks.

Back in March, instead of encouraging other students to be more open-minded and empathetic, a North Carolina school told a male student who was being bullied over his My Little Pony backpack that he could no longer bring it to school. Similarly, Venable told the Mirror that the club “seeks to follow our usual safeguarding guidelines, and we did so in this case in order to avoid any confusion or possible conflict or teasing from other children.”

However, in this instance, the other students don’t seem to have an issue with Romeo’s affinity for dresses. Clarke told the Mirror she asked other parents if they were bothered by her son’s attire, and all of them said they didn’t find his love of pink—he wears something in that color every day—or his dresses to be a problem.

Clarke has no plans to make her son change clothes. Romeo isn’t “trapped in a girl’s body—he’s a normal tomboy,” she told the Mirror. He just happens to like wearing dresses. “What is wrong with that?” she asked.

Well then...what do we make of this one?
Keep it at home then, wear it in privet. Not at school bringing the wrong attention.

Fluffy Fatcat

11,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Heckler 50
Oh, please. People should just be themselves. They shouldn't feel like they have to give a damn what anyone else thinks. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind. Steryotypes don't classify everyone.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
The unfortunate thing about living in society is that being the slightest bit different from those around you usually gains criticism or being shunned until you blend in.

Fluffy Fatcat

11,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Heckler 50
MemoriesOfGreen
The unfortunate thing about living in society is that being the slightest bit different from those around you usually gains criticism or being shunned until you blend in.
Ugh, I know, right? It's ridiculous. emotion_facepalm

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Look, there are two possibilities here: the kid grows out of it, or he doesn't. If he doesn't, there's honestly nothing wrong with that. If the school has an issue with it, that's their problem, not the kid's.

vegaspresent's Queen

Girl-Crazy Lover

12,425 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gender Swap 100
After reading where this happened, i'm not surprised.

Fluffy Fatcat

11,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Heckler 50
Honey of the South
Look, there are two possibilities here: the kid grows out of it, or he doesn't. If he doesn't, there's honestly nothing wrong with that. If the school has an issue with it, that's their problem, not the kid's.
There really isn't. Schools really need to leave s**t like this alone. It's only gonna piss evryone off.

Dangerous Ladykiller

11,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Kids should be allowed to be kids. Boy wears dresses? Fine. Girl wears boy's clothes? Fine.

We need to stop segregating things based on gender.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

They act like the kid went to school wearing pasties and a thong. Good grief,next they'll explode if a kid comes to school wearing their hair like Pete Burns did in the 80s....>>;

Shy Bachelorette

34,075 Points
  • Hand in the Cookie Jar 100
  • Snack Artist 250
  • Cookie Collector 400
Owchy crying
Keep it at home then, wear it in privet. Not at school bringing the wrong attention.

it's not bringing any wrong attention from anyone EXCEPT the adults. kids don't judge unless they are taught to. but that's my opinion otherwise it's the childs choice to wear it. it's not like he's being forced as he IS being forced by the "authority" in the situation

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Whether he likes to wear them is not the issue. Keep it at home. At his age, he should be wearing what boys wear (even if it is a Kilt) when at school or after school program. A princess dress, other kids will pick on him to no end in time when he gets older.

Don't like my opinion? Too bad. This could end up threatening his life the way kids are these days.

Lonely Browser

is it so wrong to just abide by rules or social norm or whatever when you are in public? does nobody understand that their is a time and place for certain things? especially if you know damn well its going to cause an issue.

i mean, yeah, be yourself an s**t, but some places are better to go all out than others. like, idk, home amongst family and friends. if he wants to be that way all the time, then maybe his mother needs to find somewhere that is uncaring to that stuff.
BlackRose_Jefe
is it so wrong to just abide by rules or social norm or whatever when you are in public? does nobody understand that their is a time and place for certain things? especially if you know damn well its going to cause an issue.

i mean, yeah, be yourself an s**t, but some places are better to go all out than others. like, idk, home amongst family and friends. if he wants to be that way all the time, then maybe his mother needs to find somewhere that is uncaring to that stuff.

Quick question, I think I just have a unique opportunity to satiate a curiosity of mine.

How does it feel to be on the losing side of history?

You realize, I presume, that you are quite literally the modern equivalent of "Girls wearing trousers?! I think not!"

So yeah, just curious what it feels like. Any thoughts?

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Nyadriel
Whether he likes to wear them is not the issue. Keep it at home. At his age, he should be wearing what boys wear (even if it is a Kilt) when at school or after school program. A princess dress, other kids will pick on him to no end in time when he gets older.

Don't like my opinion? Too bad. This could end up threatening his life the way kids are these days.

Or maybe those other kids who would pick on a boy for wearing a dress should be taught not to bully others because of what they wear. I'm thinking that's what RESPONSIBLE ADULTS would teach their children.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff