Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kawaii Cutie-Pie

link

Quote:
STEUBENVILLE, Ohio (AP) — Two members of the high school football team that is the pride of Steubenville were found guilty Sunday of raping a drunken 16-year-old girl in a case that bitterly divided the Rust Belt city and led to accusations of a cover-up to protect the community's athletes.

Steubenville High School students Trent Mays and Ma'Lik Richmond were sentenced to at least a year in juvenile jail, capping a case that came to light via a barrage of morning-after text messages, social media posts and online photos and video. Mays was sentenced to an additional year in jail on a charge of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material, to be served after his rape sentence is completed.

The two teens broke down in tears after the verdict was read and later apologized to the victim and to the community. Both were emotional as they spoke, and Richmond struggled at times to talk through his sobs. Richmond's father, Nathaniel, also asked that the victim's family "forgive Malik and Trent for the pain they put you through."

Mays, 17, and Richmond, 16, were charged with digitally penetrating the West Virginia girl, first in the back seat of a moving car after an alcohol-fueled party on Aug. 11, and then in the basement of a house.

The case roiled the community amid allegations that more students should have been charged — accusations that Ohio's attorney general pledged to look into — and led to questions from a much wider audience online about the influence of the local football team, a source of a pride in a community of 18,000 that suffered massive job losses with the collapse of the steel industry.

Protesters who sought guilty verdicts stood outside the courthouse Sunday morning, their arms linked, some wearing masks. Later, prosecutor Marianne Hemmeter criticized the efforts by the hacker collective Anonymous to publicize the case, saying the extra attention led to a chilling effect on those willing to testify.

The trial opened last week as a contest between prosecutors determined to show the girl was so drunk she couldn't have been a willing participant that night, and defense attorneys soliciting testimony from witnesses that would indicate that the girl, though drunk, knew what she was doing.

The teenage girl testified Saturday that she could not recall what happened the night of the attack but remembered waking up naked in a strange house after drinking at a party. The girl said she recalled drinking, leaving the party holding hands with Mays and throwing up later. When she woke up, she said she discovered her phone, earrings, shoes and underwear were missing, she testified.

"It was really scary," she said. "I honestly did not know what to think because I could not remember anything."

The girl said she believed she was assaulted when she later read text messages among friends and saw a photo of herself taken that night, along with a video that made fun of her and the alleged attack. She said she suspected she had been drugged because she couldn't explain being as intoxicated as defense witnesses have said she was.

"They treated her like a toy," said special prosecutor Marianne Hemmeter.

Evidence introduced at the trial included graphic text messages sent by numerous students after the night of the party, including by the accuser, containing provocative descriptions of sex acts and obscene language. Lawyers noted during the trial how texts have seemed to replace talking on the phone for contemporary teens. A computer forensic expert called by the state documented tens of thousands of texts found on 17 phones seized during the investigation.

In sentencing the boys, Judge Thomas Lipps urged everyone who had witnessed what happened in the case, including parents, "to have discussions about how you talk to your friends, how you record things on the social media so prevalent today and how you conduct yourself when drinking is put upon you by your friends."

The girl herself recalled being in a car later with Mays and Richmond and asking them what happened.

"They kept telling me I was a hassle and they took care of me," she testified. "I thought I could trust him (Mays) until I saw the pictures and video."

In questioning her account, defense attorneys went after her character and credibility. Two former friends of the girl testified that the accuser she was drinking heavily that night, had a history of doing so and was known to lie.

"The reality is, she drank, she has a reputation for telling lies," said lawyer Walter Madison, representing Richmond.

The accuser said that she does not remember being photographed as she was carried by Mays and Ma'Lik Richmond, an image that stirred up outrage, first locally, then globally, as it spread online. Others testified the photo was a joke and the girl was conscious when it was taken.

After the trial, the accuser's mother rebuked the boys for "lack of any moral code."

"You were your own accuser, through the social media that you chose to publish your criminal conduct on," she said.

The photograph led to allegations that three other boys, two of them members of Steubenville High's celebrated Big Red team, saw something happening that night and didn't try to stop it but instead recorded it themselves.

None of them were charged, fueling months of online accusations of a cover-up to protect the team, which law enforcement authorities have vehemently denied.

Instead, the teens were granted immunity to testify, and their accounts helped incriminate the defendants. They said the girl was so drunk she didn't seem to know what was happening to her and confirmed she was assaulted.

After Mays and Richmond were taken into custody Sunday, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said he planned to convene a grand jury next month to investigate whether anyone else should be charged in the case.

Noting that 16 people refused to talk to investigators, many of them underage, DeWine said possible crimes to be investigated include failure to report a felony and failure to report child abuse.

"This community desperately needs to have this behind them, but this community also desperately needs to know justice was done and that no stone was left unturned," he said.

Mays and Richmond were determined to be delinquent, the juvenile equivalent of guilty, Lipps ruled in the juvenile court trial without a jury.

The length of their sentence beyond the minimum one year will be determined by juvenile authorities; they can be held until they're 21. Lipps said that "as bad as things have been for all of the children involved in this case, they can all change their lives for the better."

The accuser's mother echoed that, saying the case "does not define who my daughter is. She will persevere, grow and move on."

The Associated Press normally doesn't identify minors charged in juvenile court, but Mays and Richmond have been widely identified in news coverage, and their names have been used in open court. The AP also does not generally identify people who say they were victims of sex crimes.

Friendly Wench

I really hope that these sick ******** get locked up for a long time. I watched the video and it's disturbing how they keep saying "She's dead" and laughing , because that's just so hilarious? Yeah, it's in part the girls fault for getting wasted. But it is 100% the mens fault for raping her.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
The community doesn't need to sweep this under the rug, the community needs to take steps so this diesn't happen again scream They need to teach thier daughters that the aren't safe and need to be cautious and they need to teach their sons only yes means yes, not a lack of a no.
They aren't receiving nearly what they deserve. However, I hope the perpetrators will learn from the sentence and I hope other guys who think what they did was "cool" learn as well.

These guys have literally destroyed what could have been promising athletic careers. And for what? To humiliate and hurt a blameless girl who never harmed them? So they could goof off and look "cool" to their buddies?

Think it over, young people. Fingering a drunk, unconscious, unconsenting girl who vomited all over herself isn't worth the consequences.
OtakuJeannie
The community doesn't need to sweep this under the rug, the community needs to take steps so this diesn't happen again scream They need to teach thier daughters that the aren't safe and need to be cautious and they need to teach their sons only yes means yes, not a lack of a no.

Honestly, it goes much deeper than that.

Parents need to parent. Period. That means you don't let your half-grown kids run around at parties where large quantities of alcohol are served and consumed.

Liberal Fatcat

Bienaimee R
They aren't receiving nearly what they deserve. However, I hope the perpetrators will learn from the sentence and I hope other guys who think what they did was "cool" learn as well.

These guys have literally destroyed what could have been promising athletic careers. And for what? To humiliate and hurt a blameless girl who never harmed them? So they could goof off and look "cool" to their buddies?

Think it over, young people. Fingering a drunk, unconscious, unconsenting girl who vomited all over herself isn't worth the consequences.

If its any consolation, I was watching the verdict on MSNBC this morning they had mentioned that the boys were going to have to register as sex offenders. And of course, being on the registry pretty much ******** up your life.
This Isnt Sparta
Bienaimee R

If its any consolation, I was watching the verdict on MSNBC this morning they had mentioned that the boys were going to have to register as sex offenders. And of course, being on the registry pretty much ******** up your life.

They are sex offenders, so there's no harm in their being registered as sex offenders. It'll definitely narrow their career choices for sure.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Bienaimee R

I think I read somewhere that she was one of the guys GF who dumped them so they might have seen it as 'revenge'. Hope they get thrown in grown up jail not juvie.

Dedicated Consumer

8,550 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Thank goodness they were found guilty, b/c this was horrible and ridiculous. What is wrong with people?
I hope their cellmate is a big burly guy who thinks they have a pretty mouth.

Fuzzy Strawberry

good. they deserve it. i hope they serve additional time outside of the juvenile facility though. 1-2 years is light for rape.
robot sympathiser
good. they deserve it. i hope they serve additional time outside of the juvenile facility though. 1-2 years is light for rape.

It really is. Not to mention this insincere confusion over what is rape is not helpful to our culture.

Newbie Gekko

15,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
im annoyed that the ppl watching didnt get in trouble tbh. if they murdered her, they would have all been part of the murder. but oh no rape isnt that bad i guess. wtf wtf wtf wtf. pisses me off
I'm still pissed they only charged two of the students. Based on reports more then those two were involved.

I also just really feel bad for all of the kids, not just the victim. They're a result of horrible parenting and treatment of sports players as gods who deserve anything they want. These boys were taught that girls are toys who they can play with whenever they want. In fact, they were taught they should get anything they could ever possibly want because they can throw a ball and run around a field.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

Quote:
The two teens broke down in tears after the verdict was read and later apologized to the victim and to the community. Both were emotional as they spoke, and Richmond struggled at times to talk through his sobs. Richmond's father, Nathaniel, also asked that the victim's family "forgive Malik and Trent for the pain they put you through."

Considering they went as far as to make a video of the act, I'd say the only reason they're crying is because they got caught. If they felt that bad about it, they sure as s**t wouldn't have filmed it and they most definitely wouldn't have been laughing in it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff