Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Demigod

my dad just found out he's pre-diabetic and has started eating smaller meals, but he has left out protien and important stuff. i have looked up meal plans on google but its not helping as much as i would like.
if anyone has any healthy recipes and side dishes please share them^^ i will tip you
Could you be more specific on important stuff?

Sub out healthier things in your meals would be a start.

Use whole grain pasta, or vege pasta in you spaghetti.

For the meat sub turkey for beef.

You can help him as best as you can but you can't make him eat things he doesn't like. ( In my dads case you drench it with sugar syrup,but I know that's not an option).

(I like these topic so b.t.w. I could give a flying frack about tips.)

Beloved Demigod

i mean important stuff like nutrients, fiber, and protien so you dont get hungry on smaller meals.

thanks for the reply smile
A SHIP IS SAFE IN HARBOR,
BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT SHIPS ARE FOR.

Each food item has a glycemic index, aka how it effects your blood sugar. The ADA often suggests eating plenty of whole grains and fruit and cutting down fat. That is a sure-fire way to become full blown Diabetic.

Things he'll want to do is reduce processed carbohydrates and starchy carbs. Those metabolize into sugars, and will only make the situation worse. Increase protein, veggies, and fat! Also reduce excess polyunsaturated fats as those can cause inflammation.

Meals/snacks should be had every 3 hours. They MUSTinclude a protein, a non-starchy carb, and a fat*. Anytime he has a carbohydrates (fruit, bread <- although bread must be avoided) he has to eat it with a protein and fat. Those will help slow the absorption of the sugar into his bloodstream. Also eating protein without a fat will leave you feeling hungry quickly after. Fat is what fills you up! Starchy carbs such as brown rice and potatoes can be eaten, but in moderation. 1 cup a day at the most, and even then it must be split into two portions.

*Healthy fats include monounsaturated and saturated fats. I.e - butter, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil.

Tips & Tricks:
Stevia is a sweetener that does not raise blood sugar levels.
Fat lowers the glycemix index of foods
AVOID diet sodas and "Sugar Free" snacks, often times artificial sweeteners can raise blood sugar just as much as sugar.

Welcome to BetterGaia.
Need help? See our thread and visit BetterGaia.com.
That being said, I'd suggest you get the Wheat Belly: Meals in 30 minutes or less.
While the authors stance on wheat is a bit harsh, the recipes are diabetic friendly.
Another great cookbook: W&W cookbook My uncle used it to get off his diabetes meds.

Cream Cheese crockpot chicken:
Ingredients:
1lb Frozen Chicken
1 can Black Beans
16 oz. Jar of Salsa
1 Tomato, diced
1 block Full-fat Cream Cheese
1/2 cup of Brown Rice (per person served)

STEPS

1. Place Chicken, Salsa, Tomato, and Black beans in a crock pot on High. Cook for 3.5 hours.
2. After 3.5 hours, add in block of FULL FAT(crucial) cream cheese. Let cook for 30 minutes.
3. Prepare Brown rice according to package. This can sometimes take up to 40 minutes, so allow time accordingly.
4. After 4 hours of cooking, shred chicken up and serve over 1/2 cup Brown Rice.

Hesitant Hellraiser

8,500 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Tycoon 200
Kira Inferno
my dad just found out he's pre-diabetic and has started eating smaller meals, but he has left out protien and important stuff. i have looked up meal plans on google but its not helping as much as i would like.
if anyone has any healthy recipes and side dishes please share them^^ i will tip you

Fruit would be good for him in moderation if he's having a craving for sugar.

Substitute sodas with water and zero-calorie drinks (like water with liquid kool aid mixed in etc).

Whole grains are excellent for someone in this case! Whole grain pasta and bread over white breads and pasta.

White foods like potatoes (ex: mashed or baked) should be substituted with sweet potatoes for the time being.

Fish that doesn't have breading but is grilled instead would be good for him, too.

Ruthless Astronomer

16,225 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I hope this will still be useful to you. Just a few vital things to know. And since most rp character bios are longer than this will be, bear with me. (In case you can't, sorry in advance)

Now I know everyone has their own idea of what works for health but this seriously works for me and everyone I've had to convince to do it and stick to it. Try to give it a chance.

What I want to explain here is a simple key. A key to modern health so you can get a leg up on life. Oddly enough it's the key to health in the distant past when our ancestors' genetic blueprint deviated from that of the neanderthals. I'm talking prehistory here of course. When the genes that hold us up today were the strongest they've ever been and ever would be.

They hunted they foraged and then they did it some more. In fact when not evading or fending off predators that's pretty much all they had time for. And if we weren't so comfortable and well protected today we'd probably be doing the same.

Fortunately but sadly that's not the case. We don't really have to worry about much more than the commute and what to eat with the time we have between family and/or work. This, as it goes without saying, has led us to our current state. The greatest capacity for the storage of fats that has ever been documented in human history.

I'll skip what diabetes is as I'm sure you've been well educated, I should hope, by your father's physician.

Now back to the key. It's mind-numbingly simple, although today it can be more of a challenge. How big of a challenge will depend on how you view it and what kind of diet you hold to.

No sugars. That's all. The problem with sugar is that it transforms inside the body to fat cells. And since the tendency to over eat is so prevalent that fat storage works overtime. This means then no soda, no pasta, no bread, no tortillas, no juice, and especially no soda (soda counts twice cause it's twice as bad). Of course there's a plethora of fiendish "foods" so read labels and get to know what you're running your body on. Pretty much anything that's packaged will have sugars of some kind and avoiding them will do you much credit. Hydrogenated oils also have ill effects so leave them on the shelf and walk away. Both sugars and hydro oils convert to fat amazingly easy and usually within the time you sit down to eat them.

Fruit are fine of course. Nature won't steer you wrong. Unless of you drink venom or something else toxic. Fiber of any kind is great so eat it with every meal, just don't go overboard. Like with anything, too much can have adverse or undesirable results.

Fats are misunderstood now and after much stigmatizing many Americans are choosing to cut fat out of there diets. This however was never really the culprit. Any natural animal fat is used very well by the body. Chicken skin, fat laden gristle, marbled meat, pig skins, full fat milk, full fat cheese, and even bacon for the love of "cod" (we all know fish good). All dragged through the mud, all very nutritious. Do eat them, but avoid hydrogenated oils, as previously mentioned, at all cost. Those fats are the devil and shouldn't be trusted with sharp objects.

Now proteins are a must as we all know so keep eating them.

If you just give your body all of what it needs and none of what it doesn't you'll be feeling great and getting stronger. Just throw in a little exercise for good measure.

And for God's sake don't eat fast food, i.e. Chemical Warfare.

Again I'm sorry for the length. I know this drew on but when it comes to health you can never have enough information or perspectives.

Chatty Regular

Basically just google "Clean Eating!!"

I was prediabetic but ever since I weaned myself onto clean eating, I've not shown ANY symptoms. And the food isn't gross at all!

It's just no sugar, no additives (colors, chemicals, flavors), and nothing processed/pre-packaged. You almost always have to do all the cooking yourself (99% of the time, unless you find a "Clean Eating" restaurant), but omg it's surprisingly cheaper that way, AND it's healthier.

I lost weight and my symptoms. I have more energy. My skin, nails, and hair are all much healthier-looking.

You can eat basically anything. Fish, chicken, beef, turkey, whatever. Fruits, vegetables, whatever. Just cut out the sweets, sugars, premade box meals, canned goods. The easiest way to do that is to shop the perimeter of the store where they have all of the fresh produce/meats. (Meats are better bought straight from a butcher/meat market if you can find one, since some packaged meats are pre-injected with sugars, salt, and water).

That's it! It's so simple. It takes a little bit of adjusting, but I've been doing it for a year and it's literally so easy. The only "hard" thing about it is that since all the food is fresh, you've got to buy only a little since it will obviously go bad within 1-2 weeks, and you have to go shopping just as often to replenish your supplies. But you can find LOADS of recipes on cooking websites, tumblr, whatever. There's an endless amount of recipes. Just make sure to be on the watch for so-called "clean" recipes that also add sugars (because ofc natural sugars from fruits are okay, it's just the added ones you've got to guard yourself against).

Profitable Conversationalist

7,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
Totally up the amounts of greens in the diet. Things like kale and spinach will give you a great source of nutrients. Incorporating less animal products into the diet gives more room for fresh and clean foods that may burn quickly but do so cleanly.

Tipsy Tycoon

7,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Smaller meals is the best first step to take, but you should also have 3 healthy snacks a day, such as fresh fruits or veggies.

I love to munch on a couple grapes in between meals, and if I get the late night munchies I like to sautee up some pea-pods.

The biggest tip I can give you is don't use artifical sugars like sweetnlow/splenda or consume anything with aspertain.

Mewling Genius

8,800 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Timid 100
  • Generous 100
I'd make kale chips for the between meals snack cravings.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff