Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm a ballroom and latin dancer and am currently looking to step my dancing up a notch. However, I am really weak in some areas (due to not dancing for just over a year) and am finding it really difficult to get my back to my level.

So what I'm asking is, can anyone suggest any exercises to strengthen the following areas (also any diet tips would be appreciated)?

N.B. I do not have current access to the gym.
I am on the verge or purchasing dumbbells.
If you can tailor this information so it's suitable to dancers - that would be fantastic!

-Legs (ankles, calves, thighs)
-Knees (this is really really important)
-Core
-Back (but I also want my back to be more flexible)

-Make my arms less twiggy!

Coco's Secret Admirer

Fairy

I think I can help you with the first one. I used to sprain my ankles continuously, and I finally had to go to physical therapy for them. I found that the exercises they gave me were extremely helpful in strengthening my ankles and making them less prone to sprains. I also found that a lot of them toned my calves. This makes sense because the muscle (the gastrocnemius) of your calf actually controls your ankle too. The Achilles tendon, which attaches to the back of your heel and helps you to point and flex your foot, is part of that muscle). Though I don't know of many knee exercises, I would think that if you worked your front and back leg muscles in opposition, that it would have to strengthen the muscles of your knees.

I would say that, below the waist, any exercise that focuses on using your body weight to fight gravity would help with strength. So things like toe raises, and getting your heels off the ground (basically lifting your entire body on to the balls of your feet) would help to strengthen them. If you can, try using ankle weights...

If you want, I can do some research for you. I hope this has been helpful : )
Irised
I think I can help you with the first one. I used to sprain my ankles continuously, and I finally had to go to physical therapy for them. I found that the exercises they gave me were extremely helpful in strengthening my ankles and making them less prone to sprains. I also found that a lot of them toned my calves. This makes sense because the muscle (the gastrocnemius) of your calf actually controls your ankle too. The Achilles tendon, which attaches to the back of your heel and helps you to point and flex your foot, is part of that muscle). Though I don't know of many knee exercises, I would think that if you worked your front and back leg muscles in opposition, that it would have to strengthen the muscles of your knees.

I would say that, below the waist, any exercise that focuses on using your body weight to fight gravity would help with strength. So things like toe raises, and getting your heels off the ground (basically lifting your entire body on to the balls of your feet) would help to strengthen them. If you can, try using ankle weights...

This is great, thank you!! Really good information.

Coco's Secret Admirer

Fairy

PetitEspoir
Irised

No problem. Glad I could be helpful ^_^; <3

Since the body has sets of muscles to flex and point, strain or relax almost every corner of it self, if you can find exercise (perhaps like yoga) that work both the front and the back of your body, that you could strengthen almost every muscle in your body if you wanted to (like Cat and Dog back poses in yoga).

For instance, if you wanted back exercises, you could find core exercises that worked in opposition with the muscles of your back, and vice versa. In fact, that is what is recommended, if I'm not mistaken-- you're supposed to work the opposing muscle groups so that there's no instability or one group doesn't become stronger than the other.

I'm sure you could think of some movements, that aren't even necessarily considered to be real 'exercises' that would help to strengthen certain muscle groups.

Other than that, I have heard that Pilates is excellent for strength.

Commander in Chief

Irised
PetitEspoir
Irised

No problem. ^^; Since the body has sets of muscles to flex and point, strain or relax almost every corner of it self, if you can find exercise (perhaps like yoga) that work both the front and the back of your body, that you could strengthen almost every muscle in your body if you wanted to (like Cat and Dog back poses in yoga).

For instance, if you wanted back exercises, you could find core exercises that worked in opposition with the muscles of your back, and vice versa. In fact, that is what is recommended, if I'm not mistaken-- you're supposed to work the opposing muscle groups so that there's no instability or one group doesn't become stronger than the other.

I'm sure you could think of some movements, that aren't even necessarily considered to be real 'exercises' that would help to strengthen certain muscle groups.

Glad I could be helpful ^_^ <3
Did you know that I am so green I am the only rabbit that can be seen from outer space? I am the Great Wall of China of rabbits. It is impressive but true! Ok BYE!
Irised
PetitEspoir
Irised

Since the body has sets of muscles to flex and point, strain or relax almost every corner of it self, if you can find exercise (perhaps like yoga) that work both the front and the back of your body, that you could strengthen almost every muscle in your body if you wanted to (like Cat and Dog back poses in yoga).

This is really informing, thank you. Yes, I heard Pilates is great too! My friend used to do it and swore by it (despite the fact that it's really difficult when you start out).

Commander in Chief

PetitEspoir
Irised
PetitEspoir
Irised

This is really informing, thank you. Yes, I heard Pilates is great too! My friend used to do it and swore by it (despite the fact that it's really difficult when you start out).
Did you know that I love you so much it clogs my arteries and I pass out and then drool for 86.4 minutes? IT IS TRUE! BYE BYE FOR NOW - BYE!

Friend

Both have a ton of videos to help you build strength! And you can do them at home c:
Yoga with Tara Stiles
Pilates with Blogilates
PetitEspoir
I'm a ballroom and latin dancer and am currently looking to step my dancing up a notch. However, I am really weak in some areas (due to not dancing for just over a year) and am finding it really difficult to get my back to my level.

So what I'm asking is, can anyone suggest any exercises to strengthen the following areas (also any diet tips would be appreciated)?

N.B. I do not have current access to the gym.
I am on the verge or purchasing dumbbells.
If you can tailor this information so it's suitable to dancers - that would be fantastic!

-Legs (ankles, calves, thighs)
-Knees (this is really really important)
-Core
-Back (but I also want my back to be more flexible)

-Make my arms less twiggy!

good !!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas