Welcome to Gaia! ::

Capitalist

So I want to lose weight, and I received a gym membership for Christmas (thanks mom<3). I started out so good! I went to the gym 4-5 days a week and was eating relatively healthy. I lost a few pounds, but then I got sick and didn't go for a while, and not only did I end up gaining the weight back, I lost all motivation to go back to the gym.

I need some advice to keep myself motivated, with both going to the gym and eating healthier.

Feline Loiterer

Same with me, except I haven't been in a while. I used to be in gymnastics and loved
my shape until I quit! I'm going to be going back to a local gym soon and everything so I can get my body back( so excited!)

You just have to be your own motivation, but others can surely help! Most importantly is that you've got to want it and having self control and discipline is very good to have~ Just always keep in mind of what your goal is and how amazing you
are going to be looking once you get there! heart

Shameless Conversationalist

8,700 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I know the feeling. Before winter break I had big plans to go to the gym several times a week so I could get fit. But college is freakishly stressful, so I ended up catching the flu right before break and was bed-ridden with my boyfriend for 3 weeks of vacation. (I read four books during one week!)

If you need help getting animated for the gym, make someone go with you. Bribe them with a coffee, anything really. Gym buddies make it bearable even when you are on separate machines and not talking.
At an old gym of mine I made friends with a Chinese woman in her mid thirties, we did Zumba together and got excited when we saw the other one in class.

You could also make a fitspiration board, hang it on the fridge or cupboard or in your room. Somewhere you will see it. This works for some people.

You could also reward yourself with a piece of chocolate, this may seem counterintuitive. But, if you are gonna each chocolate anyway then you may as well do it as a reward for going to the gym. Just reinforce that positive behavior until the endorphins post-workout are all you need.

Ruthless Fairy

I'm having workout issues too, honestly. Do you have a buddy who'd go with you? It's so much easier to keep motivated if you're not by yourself.

Friendly Citizen

10,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Timid 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
I find watching YouTube videos with people dancing or doing something athletic with music over it motivates me. Devinsupertramp's videos (like the assassin's creed parkour or water slide videos) are a real motivator to workout for me.

Shirtless Tycoon

15,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Josie 25
I love watching before and after fitness transformation videos c:

they help me see what I could do if I keep at it.

pictures like these too!

User Image

Thirteenth Cat

6,250 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Lapin Patrol Chad: Victory! 50
  • Hesitant Participant 100
I am motivated if I create a schedule for myself and can plan out ahead of time when I can workout. Making a goal (i.e. signing up for a race) is also super motivating.

Another trick that works for me is running to the same playlist each time, so that when I hear those songs outside of the gym, hearing the song makes me WANT to run because I associate it with being active.

Puzzle_Clocks's Husband

Eternal Alchemist

10,675 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
My computer desktop background is a collage of motivational quotes and motivational pictures. I have a quote written on my mirror so I see it every day as I am getting ready for the day. (It's written in dry erase marker.)

Sometimes it helps to find people who can support you and can keep you accountable. I mean, if you have a friend who will be aware of your schedule and ask you how you did going to the gym.

Also, online communities can be helpful. I used to be part of a forum that had check-ins and trackers.
What keeps me motivated are a couple of things. I work out with a friend, and I know if I don't show up he will know and vice versa for him. Going with someone helps. Making goals, and achieving them also help. Accept failure is another. Accept it and move on to better yourself. Also music helps me keep going as well. The last thing now since I've been working out for awhile is definetly the changes I see in the mirror and on the scale. The hardest part for me was actually the first 3 weeks. Then I noticed visible results and that kept me going for awhile. Again you will fall of the wagon a couple of times, but what makes all the difference is if you get back on it. Stay strong guys! You can do it!

Conservative Gawker

goreestep
So I want to lose weight, and I received a gym membership for Christmas (thanks mom<3). I started out so good! I went to the gym 4-5 days a week and was eating relatively healthy. I lost a few pounds, but then I got sick and didn't go for a while, and not only did I end up gaining the weight back, I lost all motivation to go back to the gym.

I need some advice to keep myself motivated, with both going to the gym and eating healthier.

put weight loss quotes in the places you look at most.
Screw motivation, what you need is discipline.
At a few points in my life, I told myself the same thing. "I just need to be motivated. What can I do to help motivate myself?"
The truth is, if the whole world waited on when they were motivated to do what they needed to do, we wouldn't be this far as a society today.
To get to where you want to be, you need discipline.
If you get sick, that's okay. Rest it off. But once you feel well enough, kick yourself into the routine again!
This article is what made me change my way of thinking;
http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
It was probably water weight that's why it came back. As someone said, discipline is a must, but having a healthy diet helps as well. Music is good for motivation, plus it gets your mind off of the exercise.
Soooooo! What do you do when you eat correctly, exercise daily including going to the extreme of walking 10,000 to 20,000 steps a day, & you still can't loose weight?
I can tell you... it's really depressing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff