Welcome to Gaia! ::

My hair gets knotted within 5 minutes of combing it out. It's even worse when it's wet, especially where I had it dyed a year ago. I'm literally ripping my hair out just from combing. I really need detangler, but I don't know what kind to get. Something under $10 would be nice. Suggestions?

Cat

28,900 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Confectioner’s Sweetest Confession 100
  • Chocolatier’s Faithful Gift 200
First off, if you do brush your hair when it is wet, start from the tips and work your way up.
Don't force the comb through.
Dove is the best thing you can buy for your hair. Try to get the one that help repair damaged/dry hair. Use that for a while. The big bottles usually cost 5$ a piece.
Another thing, do not wash you hair daily, or your hair will dry out faster.
GhostOrchids
First off, if you do brush your hair when it is wet, start from the tips and work your way up.
Don't force the comb through.
Dove is the best thing you can buy for your hair. Try to get the one that help repair damaged/dry hair. Use that for a while. The big bottles usually cost 5$ a piece.
Another thing, do not wash you hair daily, or your hair will dry out faster.

My hair gets greasy in less than a day so I don't have much choice but to wash at least my bangs each day (which isn't the part that's knotting). I've tried going bottom up, but as soon as I get through the knots, my hair scrunches up again and gets knotted. I haven't straightened my hair in 3 months, and I condition and air dry, so I think it's just the one spot that's the problem.
Would this be something good to get? link
xXxPyro-Princess66xXx
My hair gets knotted within 5 minutes of combing it out. It's even worse when it's wet, especially where I had it dyed a year ago. I'm literally ripping my hair out just from combing. I really need detangler, but I don't know what kind to get. Something under $10 would be nice. Suggestions?
When you brush your hair when its wet, you need a wide tooth comb and brush from the bottom up, same with dry, and try getting a deep conditioner

Fashionable Lunatic

10,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
I'm an adult and I use this loreal kids detangling spray. Works great for me! It's $3.19 on that site, but it's in walmart, walgreen, etc. The bottle looks like this:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
If you haven't gotten your hair trimmed in a while and it's the bottom that gets tangled it could be from split ends. You might just need a trim.

Gracious Seeker

7,150 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
first off I wouldn't ever brush/comb when wet. second, i'd just like to point out that using natural products, like a green tea and mint shampoo are a great choice, it stimulates your scalp which on top of feeling really nice is amazing for all hair types. i used to use a Pantene detangler and it worked pretty well.

Cat

28,900 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Confectioner’s Sweetest Confession 100
  • Chocolatier’s Faithful Gift 200
I don't have a problem with tangles anymore since I have gotten older, so I am not sure if the Detangler you mentioned would work. It's worth a shot though.
I hope you can find something to help with your hair. I hate when my hair wouldn't cooperate. sad

Fluffy Kitten

8,125 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Combs is a huge no-no...I'd rather use my fingers instead of a comb. They're really bad.

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
I, too, have unruly hair. I understand your frustration.

From my experience, sometimes I think it's my hair reacting to chemicals they put in city/county water to keep it clean - things like chlorine.

With the right shampoo and conditioner, I can comb out my hair effortlessly. I noticed this after I got good hair moisturizing products. It helped a lot. A moisturizing shampoo and conditioner can help if your tangles are caused by dry hair combined with chemicals in the water.

Sometimes it's just a reaction to the water chemicals and there isn't much of a solution for this one except only rinse your hair until you get the shampoo/conditioner out and then stop the shower water so you don't over wash your hair with all the chemicals. The best solution would be to invest in a shower head water filter.

You also may want to wait until your hair is dry to comb it if you're having trouble with tangles while it's wet.

My hair problems were from dry hair and I had a lot of good luck with Skinny by Paul Mitchell. It's not a detangler, it just moisturizes hair and keeps it from getting frizzy, but it could help as a detangler. Although, I'm not sure if it's under $10 or not...it may be more like $20.

Devoted Defender

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
"Mane n' Tail" usually makes some really nice hair products... The leave in conditioner is great, and I'm pretty sure it's a reasonable price, too. smile
Also, you might want to be gentle when you comb your hair, especially when it's wet and more delicate.
I hope this helps you smile Good luck!

Blessed Gawker

Mine comes out in clumps, man. yuck.

Desirable Lunatic

Here, just work in a tablespoon of olive oil into your hair after your shower, leave to rest for 10 minutes, then rinse. Use more if you like.
It works.
I just use lots of conditioner and massage and brush my hair until I get every knot out.
i dunno, if u got dry hair dont wash it and it'll be smoother.it worked for me.

Timid Explorer

4,550 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Dressed Up 200
dont completely rinse out conditioner its a hair dressers secret to getting your hair silky smooth !

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff