Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Gaian

4,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
There is something about trying to save the world in 3 days that feels pretty tense. I remember it being a confusing game on the N64 because I was using my time to open every door in town and see what the npc have to say.

Next thing, I know I got a game over with the moon destroying the town.

Does the 3DS version fix this issue or make the game better than the N64 version?

Lavish Lover

It's pretty much the same.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
The game is mostly the same. The clock is reformatted to give you a better grasp of your remaining time, and saving is now done with the owl statues instead of the Song of Time. The Bomber's Notebook has also been vastly improved, given an alarm system, and the Bombers Gang will run up to you to offer you hints toward sidequets, which they never did before.

Here is an exhaustive list and description of the changes:
MM Version Differences

Oh, and to answer your question: it's very good. I now vastly prefer this version of the game to the original.

Feline Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Hero 100
It's a good game but the time limit really limits my freedom of taking time exploring things... And I've noticed that the time pressure is causing me to look up what to do next more then I've ever done in any game, because I kinda start panicking when not making progress fast enough afraid I'll have to redo everything from the start of the cycle again (especially when it comes to temples and the damn fairies)... I literally have the phone with the walkthrough page open laying next to me while playing... So yeah, that kinda annoys me... Especially since I'm usually the kind of person that likes to take her sweet time exploring and finding out stuff for myself... Also, if you screw up during the 1st cycle you play, well, you're screwed, and you'll have to start all over again (almost happened to me, which was the 1st time I started resorting to walkthroughs with this game)... Cause you can't use any time-songs until you get the Ocarina back on the last night of the 1st cycle... You also can't really save most of the progress you make within a cycle, which is also really annoying (I like being able to pick up where I left without too many consequences)... Not sure if they at least improved this in the 3DS version though... I'm currently playing the N64 version of it on the Wii... cat_stressed

That aside, I currently have all but 1 mask, completed the bombers notebook, and I'm about to go into the Stone tower... Needless to say I pretty much cheated my way there looking up stuff though... But the story and characters are really great so I want to at least see through this game once and get the most out of it while at it... Especially since I probably won't be picking it up again anytime soon for a while after I beat it... cat_sweatdrop

Dedicated Gaian

4,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Yoshpet
The game is mostly the same. The clock is reformatted to give you a better grasp of your remaining time, and saving is now done with the owl statues instead of the Song of Time. The Bomber's Notebook has also been vastly improved, given an alarm system, and the Bombers Gang will run up to you to offer you hints toward sidequets, which they never did before.

MM Version Differences

Oh, and to answer your question: it's very good. I now vastly prefer this version of the game to the original.

Oh good! Thanks for the link to the list! I like the fact that the game has more owl statues for saving for this version! That is a big win for me!

Oh that's right! I spent all the 3 days in Clock Town. Nice to know they re-designed some of the areas. I'm like that Sheikah Hint Stone update too!

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
superherocat
Yoshpet

MM Version Differences

Oh good! Thanks for the link to the list! I like the fact that the game has more owl statues for saving for this version! That is a big win for me!

Oh that's right! I spent all the 3 days in Clock Town. Nice to know they re-designed some of the areas. I'm like that Sheikah Hint Stone update too!

Yeah, the first three days are supposed to be spent in clock town, since you can't go anywhere else in Scrub form.
You spend it reviving the great fairy so you can shoot magic bubbles, and doing the short trading quest with the Business Scrub in the center area of Clock Town.
Once you have reached the third day, you can use the flower the Business Scrub was formerly occupying to get to the top of the clock tower, and from there you gain the ability to reset time as you please, even slow it down, and go to the rest of the areas of the game.

It sets the tone for your adventure, but if you're extremely pro at it, it's entirely possible to beat the game in the second 3-day cycle. There's a youtube video of someone doing that 3-day run, and it's pretty interesting.

Tipsy Ladykiller

8,425 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
i literally bought it and its been sitting in the case for 3 months
If you didn't enjoy the N64 version due to its three day time mechanic, you most likely won't enjoy the 3DS version. It is largely the same game, with a few tweaks (some of which make the game easier, in my opinion). I normally hate timed games (I absolutely can't play Dead Rising, for example, without panicking), but I loved Majora's Mask. When the 3DS version came out, I blazed through it in about a week (real time, not in game).

Can I assume that you played the N64 version when you were significantly younger? You may enjoy it now in a way that you didn't back then.

10,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Its a good game, its more faster to complete than the n64 vesion as you can forward time more easier.

Dedicated Gaian

4,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Sonic_5
If you didn't enjoy the N64 version due to its three day time mechanic, you most likely won't enjoy the 3DS version. It is largely the same game, with a few tweaks (some of which make the game easier, in my opinion). I normally hate timed games (I absolutely can't play Dead Rising, for example, without panicking), but I loved Majora's Mask. When the 3DS version came out, I blazed through it in about a week (real time, not in game).

Can I assume that you played the N64 version when you were significantly younger? You may enjoy it now in a way that you didn't back then.

Yes I played when I was young. I enjoyed it to an extent. I liked exploring Clock Tower and remember doing a challenge in it. But I remember running out of time and got a game over.

For sure, this rpg was complex for my taste back then. The early fantasy and mario for NES were up my alley along with mario kart, pokemon stadium and super smash for n64.

But I have grown up and prefer challenging games so I might pick it up in the future.

Dedicated Gaian

4,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Jelly Glasses
i literally bought it and its been sitting in the case for 3 months

I will take it off your hands. Haha...jk. I might buy a copy due to the complexity of the game.

Fluffy Protector

4,675 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
I like the 3ds version as its a great deal smoother than the n64 version also fixes some of the original problems with it. N64 version is just a bit more nostalgic for me.

Hygienic Noob

550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
I highly recommend it fro the 3DS for the fact that it is one of the best games from the series and also the graphics look so much better! GET GET GET biggrin

Invisible Phantom

8,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
is a bad game

Dedicated Gaian

4,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
TsumikiriJSword
is a bad game