Welcome to Gaia! ::

Excitable Attacker

So from what I've observed in manga/anime, research, and the like... And from what I've observed here in America...

Teens in Japan are generally responsible.
Teens here in America... often times... "The ******** are you kids doing? Stop that."

I suppose that just shows one of the benefits of a collectivist culture like Japan's. People are worried enough about how their actions effects others that they take care avoid being irresponsible. Meanwhile, here I've heard too many times, over even simple work tasks, "You expect too much from me" which roughly translates to, "I'm too lazy. I don't care if it effects you."
I wouldn't say that manga and anime are good sources for teenagers. Japanese does however have a culture where the nail that sticks up gets hammered down. Also the teenage years are spent with studying for exams. Of course there are outliers, but "responsible" is something I would never associate with teenagers, regardless of the culture. If they weren't forced into studying and preschool courses to pass the next big exam (so they can get into college that will ultimately be useless except for developing contacts in school clubs for employment upon graduation), do you think they would be? Outliers here would be students at free ride schools. The K-college schools that require one test as a child and you ride through until college graduation without tests. Those students are still required to conform to society's standards of behavior and the bullying and shaming that goes along with not conforming.

We in the west don't have school systems that are based around testing to such insane degrees. We have one major test in life in the US. The SATs and ACTs, depending on the college you want to go to. It's one long test that by Japanese standards would probably be the equivalent to the high school entrance exam. We have more time to ourselves and have far more independent spirits due to our culture lacking the same standards of behavior as Japan.
Seliasei
So from what I've observed in manga/anime

Okay, we're done here.

Anime/manga represents the whole of Japan about as well as The Jersey Shore encompasses all of US culture.

Giver

I have been to Japan and let me say both cultures are similar in ways of how their teenagers act :I.

The only difference I found was Japanese fashion is much more creative and outgoing razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff