<3 </3

Do you live abroad?

Yes, I do! 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 9 ]
No, but I did once. 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 3 ]
No, and I don't really want to. 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 3 ]
No, but I would really like to try it. 0.44444444444444 44.4% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 27 ]
1 2 >

Hello people of Gaia. Weather you are American living abroad (like me) or a none American living abroad in America or just if you are living or have lived abroad in general, I made this thread for all of us to connect and share our stories and feelings.

It can sometimes be hard to share the experiences we gain from living in another country with those who have yet to experience it. It may just be me but often people back home don't really seam to care to listen or just brush off the thing I share (this is one part of revers culture shock. or so I have hear). I usually have more fulfilling conversations with those who have experience living abroad and are just as enthusiastic about hearing and sharing. I guess I made this for those of us who feel unheard or brushed off.

At the moment I am living in rural Japan. I have been here for 3 years working and so much about myself, my life and my view about the world in general has changed. My view about Japan and America are what has changed the most and are still changing. I always expected Japan to be very different from America, and while some cultural thing are different, my daily life feels just about the same, except I speak more Japanese then English. The way people live their lives here is very similar to the way I lived my life back in the States. I don't know what I expected to be different now that I reflect on it. Sometimes I even forget that I am living abroad.

I was also very intrigued at how different the people around Japan are. I mean I did not expect people to all be exactly the same but going from Osaka to Nagano to Kyoto to Hiroshima, sometimes it felt like I walked into another country. Now I really enjoy traveling round Japan and seeing the differences. It has also made me want to travel around America when I move back.

I have loads more I could share but I want to read what others have to say. What was your experiance like living abroad? Are you still living abroad now? Do you like it? Is there anything you don't like about it? Have any crazy stories? heart

Maybe I will share more later if people actually post in here

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm from the States, and I live in Japan.
thejade9
I'm from the States, and I live in Japan.

OMG! Go us!!! Did the big typhoon ever make it to your place? It came to where I live but was not so big because of the mountains~

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I live in Okinawa, so it was really strong, maybe a Category 4 or 3, but it had lessened from Category 5 super typhoon. Thank goodness! Wow, you live in the mountains? That's pretty awesome. Are you on the main island of Japan or Hokkaiddo?
thejade9
I live in Okinawa, so it was really strong, maybe a Category 4 or 3, but it had lessened from Category 5 super typhoon. Thank goodness! Wow, you live in the mountains? That's pretty awesome. Are you on the main island of Japan or Hokkaiddo?

I saw Okinawa on the news. I am glad you are okay heart I have never been to Okinawa before but would love to go! Is it really tropical?

I live in Nagano so it's on the mail island. Hokkaiddo is another place I would love to go and visit. I want to eat the seafood and milk products XD.

I'm here teaching English. Why are you in Japan?

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Impulsive Priestess
thejade9

I saw Okinawa on the news. I am glad you are okay heart I have never been to Okinawa before but would love to go! Is it really tropical?

I live in Nagano so it's on the mail island. Hokkaiddo is another place I would love to go and visit. I want to eat the seafood and milk products XD.

Okinawa is really hot and humid. If you ever came to Okinawa between April to October, you should bring sunscreen. The sun is three times stronger than the sun on mainland Japan.

I'm teaching English, too! I teach in high schools for JET Programme. I'll be leaving next year though...
thejade9
Impulsive Priestess
thejade9

Okinawa is really hot and humid. If you ever came to Okinawa between April to October, you should bring sunscreen. The sun is three times stronger than the sun on mainland Japan.

I'm teaching English, too! I teach in high schools for JET Programme. I'll be leaving next year though...

OMG I work on JET too but my time is over in 4 weeks. I will be moving to Tokyo after!

Do you enjoy teaching? I love it biggrin

It's not so hot in Nagano if you ever want somewhere cool to be in the summer ^_^

Thanks for the advice too biggrin

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Impulsive Priestess
thejade9
Impulsive Priestess
thejade9

OMG I work on JET too but my time is over in 4 weeks. I will be moving to Tokyo after!

It's not so hot in Nagano if you ever want somewhere cool to be in the summer ^_^

Awesome! What a small world! I didn't think I'd find another JET on Gaia. I love teaching, too. It's fun! I'm considering teaching when I go back next year.

So you're staying in Tokyo too? What will you be doing?
thejade9
Impulsive Priestess
thejade9
Impulsive Priestess
thejade9

Awesome! What a small world! I didn't think I'd find another JET on Gaia. I love teaching, too. It's fun! I'm considering teaching when I go back next year.

So you're staying in Tokyo too? What will you be doing?

I know. I thought for sure I was the only JET here. I wonder how many more of us there are?

How long have you been in Okinawa?

I will be teaching in Tokyo but will be working at an 英会話. I don't think I am quite ready to be done teaching in Japan >w<

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Impulsive Priestess

I know. I thought for sure I was the only JET here. I wonder how many more of us there are?

I will be teaching in Tokyo but will be working at an 英会話. I don't think I am quite ready to be done teaching in Japan >w<

Haha, small world! I know, I wonder... I've been in Okinawa for almost 4 years. That's cool that you're working at an eikaiwa. How long have you been in Japan?
thejade9
Impulsive Priestess

Haha, small world! I know, I wonder... I've been in Okinawa for almost 4 years. That's cool that you're working at an eikaiwa. How long have you been in Japan?

I have only been on JET for 3 years. My BOE says I am too expensive now. But I am fine with moving. I have been living in the inaka for too long ^_^; I am excited to try and live in the city! I am a little nervous but also excited to try my hand at an eikaiwa. I am sure it is nothing like being an ALT.

What is life like in Okinawa? How often do you travel to the main land?

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Impulsive Priestess
thejade9
Impulsive Priestess

I have only been on JET for 3 years. My BOE says I am too expensive now. But I am fine with moving. I have been living in the inaka for too long ^_^; I am excited to try and live in the city! I am a little nervous but also excited to try my hand at an eikaiwa. I am sure it is nothing like being an ALT.

Wow, 3 years... It looks like Japan is starting to feel the effects of the inflation by Abe-nomics. I used to be at a BOE too, and they ran out of money as well. haha, the inaka...Yeah, Okinawa is all inaka, really. It's the poorest part of Japan and made up of mostly farmers. The city sounds cool. I hope you can find a place that isn't too expensive. Living in the city costs way more than living in the countryside. I'm sure that being in an eikaiwa will be interesting for you.

I don't travel to mainland Japan. My husband and I are saving money to buy a house, so we don't travel. If you ever need tips on how to save money in Japan, I can give you some. Japan's so expensive!
thejade9
Impulsive Priestess
thejade9
Impulsive Priestess

Wow, 3 years... It looks like Japan is starting to feel the effects of the inflation by Abe-nomics. I used to be at a BOE too, and they ran out of money as well. haha, the inaka...Yeah, Okinawa is all inaka, really. It's the poorest part of Japan and made up of mostly farmers. The city sounds cool. I hope you can find a place that isn't too expensive. Living in the city costs way more than living in the countryside. I'm sure that being in an eikaiwa will be interesting for you.

I don't travel to mainland Japan. My husband and I are saving money to buy a house, so we don't travel. If you ever need tips on how to save money in Japan, I can give you some. Japan's so expensive!

WOW! A house! Are you and your husband going to live in Japan forever?

Nagano is full of farms too. It's name is long farm so yeah. The only reason I save money here is because it is hard to go out for me. I need to drive wherever I go and I normally don't have time after work to go far. And the trains only come every hour or more but I am sure you know how that feels. I think Nagano is known for having the most elderly in all of Japan! Go Nagano!!! We do have great onsen though.

I never knew all of that about Okinawa. So you have never been to main land Japan at all? I hope to visit Okinawa someday. Is there anyplace I should go?
I have no clue how I am going to save money in Tokyo. Probably just work work work! No time or energy play @_@

Kindly Lunatic

I just returned from living in Israel for 6 months, working at a newspaper.

I am very very grateful to be back in America.

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
i was been trying to get an english-teaching job in japan for over a year (i had a lot of interviews but nobody ever offered me a job and i didn't get into JET after my interview. they didn't even put me on the reserve list). it's always depressing when other people make it sound like it's easy to get into (EVERY time i mention wanting to teach english in japan there's someone in the room with a friend or relative who just happens to do that and they didn't even try). i can't tell if i have a horrible personality, if they all despise my accent, if it's because of my medical background, if my appearance looks really bad to them or if there's some other reason why companies always reject me as soon as they meet me in person.. the only time i ever even got past the first stage of an interview process after face-to-face meeting was when it was determined by a grammar test rather than someone judging me.
i read people online a lot saying like "accept an eikaiwa job if you can't get anything better, they'll take anyone" and it's seriously frustrating to not even be able to get to stage 2 of an interview for a company people are saying that about.
i feel like it looks bad that i have depression in my medical history but CONSTANT REJECTION and being stuck living in a place/job i hate really doesn't help me with not feeling like i need antidepressants so it's a vicious cycle i guess.
(sorry, done semi-off-topic ranting)

anyway i decided to accept a job in south korea for a year so then maybe someone in japan won't reject me once i have a year's experience..
my job starts next month so i can't comment on living abroad yet.
i'm from scotland.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces