Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anybody here speak a dead/obscure language? I'm trying to learn Anglo-Saxon (old English)...needless to say its difficult xd

Anyway, are you fluent? What made you want to learn the language?

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
would you mind giving me some examples of Anglo-Saxon words?

And no, I don't speak a dead or obscure language
I don't really know any yet. I just got interested in it a few days ago.

Here's an online anglo-saxon dictionary

http://home.comcast.net/~modean52/oeme_dictionaries.htm

Heres a kinda guide to it

http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/resources/IOE/

If I find anything else useful i'll try and put it up

Girl-Crazy Explorer

5,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Full closet 200
Latin would be cool :3
I know latin. I can't speak latin, or remember the majority of the vocabulary, but if you give me a sentence and a latin to english dictionary, I can most likely translate it.

I'm about mid-level latin, btw (latin 3)
I'm learning Aymara, which is obscure as anything and is possibly the coolest language ever.
slayerlx
I know latin. I can't speak latin, or remember the majority of the vocabulary, but if you give me a sentence and a latin to english dictionary, I can most likely translate it.

I'm about mid-level latin, btw (latin 3)

thats pretty cool
Eccentric Iconoclast
I'm learning Aymara, which is obscure as anything and is possibly the coolest language ever.

sounds cool. Are you Aymara or something?
Sama- Alucard of DOOM!
Eccentric Iconoclast

sounds cool. Are you Aymara or something?

If she was Aymara, then wouldn't she already know the language? > >

As I recall, she said on another thread that she was here in the states. I don't mean to put words in her mouth, though. xp
I'm fairly proficient with Latin. I've been taking it in school for over 5 years, and I I'm pretty good with most of the grammar; now I just have to perfect the vocabualry. I can't speak it, and if you were to say something to me it would take me quite a while to translate it in my brain, but I can read it fairly well.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
I want to learn how to write in ancient Vietnamese (aka Chu Nom).

Only the problem is--I would need to learn Chinese before I attempt to learn ancient Vietnamese, because ancient Vietnamese used Chinese characters as the basis for their characters.

It's sad that the only reason the Vietnamese people switched to using the Roman alphabet from using Chu Nom characters is because they were so illiterate with the characters.
I'd love to learn Brythonic/Brittonic/Old Welsh. Then I could really appreciate some of the poetry I love >w<;
Don't think it'd be possible, though.
*Starts Brittonic / Anglo-Saxon battle* XD
I can read (and partially understand) Latin... I know Spanish and Italian which helps a lot... I can't speak it though, all I can do is understand written Latin...

Does that counts? razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces