Welcome to Gaia! ::

PAnZuRiEL
Fakin Pop
PAnZuRiEL
Rinkashitakutoka
And you who said you don't really enjoy the American accent. There are many accents. I'm guessing you are talking about the poor slang and nonsence language of the culture?
You guess wrong. I'm mainly talking about the rhotic dialects, with the strong "r" sound at the ends of words; but no American accent sounds real to me. According to my "common sense", they belong in the movies and on TV, and have no place in real life.
Just think of it like this.
Most Americans associate Australian accents with Steve Irwin.
What, Irwin? I thought the stereotype was Crocodile Dundee. Oh well. It's bullshit either way, they both have completely bizarre accents.

But not completely unlike Hollywood portrayals of the US =p
Fakin Pop
PAnZuRiEL
Fakin Pop
PAnZuRiEL
Rinkashitakutoka
And you who said you don't really enjoy the American accent. There are many accents. I'm guessing you are talking about the poor slang and nonsence language of the culture?
You guess wrong. I'm mainly talking about the rhotic dialects, with the strong "r" sound at the ends of words; but no American accent sounds real to me. According to my "common sense", they belong in the movies and on TV, and have no place in real life.
What, Irwin? I thought the stereotype was Crocodile Dundee. Oh well. It's bullshit either way, they both have completely bizarre accents.
I'm talking about the US accents. Surely you're not suggesting that all actors put on a completely fake accent for every role they play?

Steve Irwin and Paul Hogan have bizarre accents, but other Australian actors, like Russell Crowe for example, have perfectly normal ones.

Most of the accents in the movies and on TV are real.

And to me, American accents belong in the media, and sound strange in real life.
PAnZuRiEL

Also, while I associate with and enjoy the company of many Americans over this series of tubes we call the internets, I still hold onto a stereotype of the general US public being ignorant, overweight, boorish, belligerent, fanatically-religious fruitcakes.

How do you know my grandma? :O

Can I ask what exactly is a generalized 'American' accent? I'm not sure why American accents would be only associated with theatrics, considering how many American actors and actresses there are. Maybe I'm just being ignorant, but I see more American movies with subtitles than I see in Japanese or Chinese.

Rinka, I'm sure that you'll be fine in Europe. Never been there, but I've heard the Northern Europeans are very nice. =D
hahahaha of course they do, that's because, we always stand in the way of something better.
Fakin Pop
PAnZuRiEL
Fakin Pop
PAnZuRiEL
Rinkashitakutoka

On a completely irrelevant side note, I reckon Irwin has some Asian descent in him.
Witticisms
Can I ask what exactly is a generalized 'American' accent? I'm not sure why American accents would be only associated with theatrics, considering how many American actors and actresses there are. Maybe I'm just being ignorant, but I see more American movies with subtitles than I see in Japanese or Chinese.
There are a number of American accents, many more than there are Australian ones. But they all have things in common. Compared to Australian English or Received Pronunciation (the Queen's English), US dialects tend to have higher, tenser vowels.

I really don't like rhotic dialects, US or otherwise. If you pronounce the "r" at the end of words like "car", you're speaking a rhotic dialect and I hate you. mad

If it's a non-rhotic dialect then I don't mind it, but it's still weird to hear it in real life as opposed to on TV.
But accents make the world interesting and countries unique. They are only different to us because we are unfamiliar with them.
Lols, go for it, a break from the US would be good. And the person that mentioned the spitting thing, it does happen but not on people, but at their feet, happened to my mom in Italy but the kids did a no no and were caught by a nun. I've been outside for about a week, Montreal is nice, Quebec was rude, and Canada was rather boring when all you see is town, road, trees, signs, and repeat.
And with the world hating America, they really can't say much since not that many have been to America, if they have, well, someone ruined it.
More then likley yes. Even American's know that they have a bad reputation, but most don't know "why." I know that I'm not like how many think Americans are. xp
PAnZuRiEL
Witticisms
There are a number of American accents, many more than there are Australian ones. But they all have things in common. Compared to Australian English or Received Pronunciation (the Queen's English), US dialects tend to have higher, tenser vowels.

I really don't like rhotic dialects, US or otherwise. If you pronounce the "r" at the end of words like "car", you're speaking a rhotic dialect and I hate you. mad

If it's a non-rhotic dialect then I don't mind it, but it's still weird to hear it in real life as opposed to on TV.

...*is hated* D; Thanks for explaining! =D
*pats back* there there. 4laugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas