Sure! 0.72801507537688 72.8% [ 2318 ]
Nah. 0.048994974874372 4.9% [ 156 ]
Indifferent. 0.11180904522613 11.2% [ 356 ]
Guides? 0.11118090452261 11.1% [ 354 ]
Total Votes:[ 3184 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 >

Ooooo, that was cool thanks.
Dino
Mods: If you want to add information, you are more than welcome to append to any of the posts (such as when new software that's free comes out). This'll keep the thread more current and up-to-date. Please just add and don't remove the information. Thank you! biggrin

PLEASE don't bump this thread.
It's linked in multiple locations, such as the tektek toolbar, the newbie guide thread, and all sorts of other places as a useful resource. I really appreciate that people like the guide, but bumping it clutters the thread, and makes it difficult for me to see when people post content to it.

Taking Screencaps

Screencaps are used for various reasons; primarily for proper proof in reporting in Gaia. With a screen capture, you can take a "picture" of whatever it is that's on your screen, upload it to a web server, and then PM it to a moderator when you're reporting abuse or harassment over PM. If someone is harassing or abusing you via your PM, you would take a screencap of that PM, save it, upload it to the internet, and then fill out a harassment report with a link to that image.

So far, there are guides all over the place on how to do this on a Windows machine. I'm on Mac OSX Tiger. I didn't even know it was possible, until I sat down and did some logical thinking. For one thing, Mac has always been all about the graphics thing. For another, it was supposed to be easy to use. So I did some poking around. Imagine my surprise when I found out how easy it is!

Table of Contents

Because Gaia is trying to kill our eyes with the very light coloured links, I've put the name of the post in green next to the links.

(Mac OSX) Screencaps for Mac OSX

(Mac OS9) Screencaps for OS9

(Windows) Screencaps for Windows

(New Windows) Screencaps for Windows Vista

(Linux, BSD, Solaris) Screencaps for Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, etc.

(Contributors) Contributors

(Report Abuse) Reporting Abuse

(Host Images) Hosting your Images
VERY useful for QnAers who want to quickly explain how to upload images to the internet. Thorough and detailed. Complete with screenshots.

Cool Events/Updates

08 - 03 - 05:
Realised that I'm now listed on the Gaia Directory.
http://www.tektek.org/gaia/
Anyone who does a search for "Screen Shot" or "Screen Capture" will now see this thread. You all can send in links to the Gaia Directory if you want. If it's accepted, you can even earn a little gold for it.

10 - 10 - 05
Got a complete keyboard shortcut guide for Mac.

09 - 01 - 06
I'm really slow, and it took me this long to realise that I'm also listed in the Newbie's Guide to Gaia, in the Welcome to Gaia forum. Pretty nifty.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=10529735#542077482
I'm also listed in the Tektek toolbar plugin for Mozilla Firefox. :O Apparently, this thread has been quite useful for people.

15 - 11 - 2006

First poll, that started when the thread opened, and closed at 10:46 AM has results:

What OS do you take screencaps on?
Unix 2% [ 66 ]
Mac OSX or OS9 7% [ 185 ]
Windows NT 4.0, 3.1, XP, 2K, ME 64% [ 1594 ]
Linux 2% [ 69 ]
BSD, BeOS, OS/2, Solaris 0% [ 13 ]
ninja I already have Longhorn, or another unreleased OS, and that's what I use! 21% [ 532 ]

Total Votes : 2459
awsome
How am I to know what the screen shots of the quality are goodß So, where Gaia user also be positive.
In addition, yes even the Use-Law and Copyright in each country added.
And even the states in the U.S. have almost the Right to use different Images on the Screen.
Though there is one thing... what do you do if you don't have paint?
o:

Adventuring Explorer

10,650 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
Thanks for the information ^^.
I am so confused. ;~;
I suck with computers.
But I have a SAMSUNG ._.
and i dont see that on the contacts *0*

Questionable Muse

where's the clipboard?

Conservative Browser

4,800 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
thanx..i didn't even know that the snipping tool even existed..awsome

8,650 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Market Browser 100
Lady Calipso
Though there is one thing... what do you do if you don't have paint?
o:

are you sure you don't have paint? i swear it comes with it.

Beloved Smoker

I use Windows XP, but when I press the print screen button, im not sure if something is supposed to come up, but nothing does. Then in Paint, it says theres nothing to paste in. Im not sure what im doing wrong.

Mega Explorer

its really confusing still cant make one
omg thank you so much! =D
i am a mac user, and it is damn near impossible for me to find information on how to do anything. this really helped heart

Lonely Prophet

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
Dino
Screencaps on Windows Vista

There is a new tool in Windows Vista known as the Snip tool. It allows you to fire up the application, much like Grab on OSX, and take a screen capture of either a small region of text, a window, or the whole screen. Then, once you have your capture in the snipping tool, you can crop it, save it in any format, and even scribble on the capture with a pen tool that is built in to the tool. I have the screen caps for this tool somewheres, but I can't find the bloody thing. I will post them as I get them.

If you can't find the Snipping Tool, you have to enable it!

User Image

Click on the round Start button, and go to Control Panel.
Click on Programs.
Click on Turn Windows features on or off link. If User Account Control pops up for confirmation, click on Continue button.
Scroll down the features list in the Windows Features dialog window.
Mark the check box for Tablet-PC Optional Components to enable and show the Snipping Tool.

Agent NR
Start Menu>All Programs>Accessories>Snipping Tool
User Image

Standard Snipping

User Image

Snipping Options

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

General Options

User Image

AND Straight from the windows help:

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

You can use Snipping Tool to capture a screen shot, or snip, of any object on your screen and then annotate, save, or share the image. Simply use a mouse or tablet pen to capture any of the following types of snips:

Free-form Snip. Draw an irregular line, such as a circle or a triangle, around an object.

Rectangular Snip. Draw a precise line by dragging the cursor around an object to form a rectangle.

Window Snip. Select a window, such as a browser window or dialog box, that you want to capture.

Full-screen Snip. Capture the entire screen when you select this type of snip.

After you capture a snip, it's automatically copied to the mark-up window, where you can annotate, save, or share the snip.

I did not see anything in the Windows Feature dialog window and I use a laptop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces