Welcome to Gaia! ::

Random Nobody 13's Husbando

Cosmic Bauble

42,750 Points
  • Pieversity 200
  • Blob's To You 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
So a while ago someone anon gifted me an item I don't even like. A rather expensive item. I was happy for the gift, despite hating the item, and really tried to use it. I couldn't find a single avatar for it so I decided to just hang onto it. Today I was listing stuff in the MP and ran into this item. If I sold it I'd be able to get one or more of the items I'm questing. The problem is I'm not sure if I should sell it.

Personally if I gift something to someone I wouldn't mind if they sold it. Once I send them an item it is their's to do what they want. Especially if it's a random item not on their wishlist or in their quest. I figure at the least it will add funds to what they're going for.

But not everyone feels that way. So I'd like your opinions. Not on if I should sell or not, but your thoughts on donating or gifting an item. Would you be upset if the receiver sold it to fund their quest? What about gifting it to someone who actually wants the item? Do you even keep an eye on people you've gifted to see if they use the item? Would you sell or regift an item given to you?

All the spoons are dirty. You don't really need them do you?

Daring Red-Shirt

Hmm... It's a toughie. And a boat I've been in before, ha...

Usually I wind up holding onto an item for a long time if I'm gifted it but can't use it. I feel super bad thinking about selling it, because I think, someone gave me the item out of the kindness of their heart.

Sometimes, I wind up finding a use for the item. Sometimes I don't. If it was an expensive item, I have a hard time selling it, but sometimes I will to help get a different item. After sitting and staring at my computer screen forever and a year debating if I should or not. xD;;

Though on the flip side. I don't care if the person sells an item I give them. I suppose I can thank having a brother in real life who never keeps any gift given him for more than a few months for that. xD I usually try to find something on a person's whishlist, but if I can't find something within my price range and still really want to send them a gift, I'll try to find something I think they might like. If they don't, though, or even if they do and just get tired of the item, I don't really feel hurt if they decide to sell it.

Likewise, I don't stalk them to see if they use it or sell it, either. It's theirs, I gave it to them, they're free to do as they please with it.

Cutesmasher

11,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
You gift to make yourself happy and feel good. I say do what ever you want with the item. A gift is a gift, not an obligation.

Angelic Nitemare

Here's the way I look at it from a gifting side.

Once I send you an item, that item is yours to do with as you see fit.

Wear it, re-gift it, sell it, donate it, trash it. Craft with it.

All your call. And that is as it should be. Because at that point, it's no longer mine, so it is no longer my concern. At all.

Shadowy Cultist

when i gift someone it's theirs
                  they can sell, trade, whatever. if they get sick of it that's not my business because at the very least i gave them means to get something they DID want in the end.

Devoted Seeker

18,025 Points
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Rat Conqueror 500
Sell it and never look back
Even in real life I give my unloved gifts away

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
I treasure and keep my gifts with all my heart and on the few occasions I have had to sell a gift I feel sick and dirty.

If i had to gold to re buy back the gift I do.

Party Gaian

20,425 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
I usually keep just about everything I get, with a few vends to get me by. (i've sold 187 items over a 10 year period, definitely not vendor elite.)

most of the time i get something i like or I go "oh hey, it goes with '____'!" so when i get a gift, i tend to hold onto it.

honestly i never check if people sell what i give them- most of the time it's a sentimental gift that i give so i don't think my recipients sell anything. the message counts more than the item, anyway. smile

Mysterious Trickster

I usually hold onto items that are gifted to me. If I can use them, great. If not, I'll put them in my closet.

Hart Prince's Husbando

When I give gifts to people that they don't explicitly ask for or clearly want, I don't really expect them to hang on to them. I mean, yes, I'll try to find something you like, but it's hard to judge a person's tastes from their wishlists alone, because people tend to either have very tiny wishlists or absolutely ginormous ones, and both present their own problems. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do like the item enough to keep it, but I wouldn't even know unless I happen to run into them and see them wearing it. I treat gifts given to me the same way. I'm grateful if someone does get me a new shiny, but if I don't like it then it's just going to sit in my inventory and rot. There's no point in that. It just seems like such an awful waste. You're missing out on potential gold and someone out there who actually does want the item is missing out on a slightly cheaper purchase. I mean, unless you tend to put items up for 1 gold less than the lbp.

Tipsy Smoker

I try to hold on to them.

edit: I especially love the little cheap gifts people send me related to my username. XD

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I personally don't sell gifts, however I don't mind if people sell ones that I give them! I like most items on the site and I can find a way to use anything so I don't mid hanging on to stuff. Others don't feel the same. If I give them something I'm happy whether they use it or use the gold from it to get something they like!
I wouldn't be upset. They can do what they want with it, once it helps them.

Random Nobody 13's Husbando

Cosmic Bauble

42,750 Points
  • Pieversity 200
  • Blob's To You 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
Eladwodahs
You gift to make yourself happy and feel good. I say do what ever you want with the item. A gift is a gift, not an obligation.
I slightly disagree. If I'm gifting a random person chances are its to make me happy and feel good. Like see I did a good deed, I'm not a bad person. But if I'm gifting a friend then I'm doing it as much or more to make them happy. I'll be honest, I'm a pretty greedy person and if given the choice I'd rather keep my items and gold for me. But if someone is my friend I've no problem buying them an item or giving them gold, so long as I actually have the gold to spend. There's a few items I'll never part with, but pretty much everything else I have I'd gladly give to a friend or my boyfriend. The greedy part of me would be sad to see the item go but I'd also be really happy that I'd made someone I care about happy.

Fashionable Vampire

Would you be upset if the receiver sold it to fund their quest?
Nope. I oftentimes send things as a donation.

What about gifting it to someone who actually wants the item?
Doesn't matter. It's just pure coincidence.

Do you even keep an eye on people you've gifted to see if they use the item?
Why bother? It's their item now.

Would you sell or regift an item given to you?
Depends on the circumstances.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces