Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Noob

8,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
true for cosplays but naturally the more expensive items are gonna be higher quality

Sparkling Seeker

I recently made an avatar modelled after my Skyrim character, but for the "dream avatar" I would've had to spend over 30 million gold.

Ehhhhh... I got it down to 3m, still not cheap but a lot more doable than the first version. I don't mind spending a little more if it improves the overall look, but I wouldn't go out of my way to use crazy expensive items just to show off, or for status.

Sparkling Seeker

VKiera
"Though the brightness of the sun has drifted far away...

I like it I buy it, pretty much easy as that. I like cheap items and expensive items. On of my favorite white dresses on Gaia is a freebie item so I have all the love for good freebies. Even the outfit I have on now has one gold shop item in it. For me it's all about what I need and like and what I'm looking for, if I can find it for less, GREAT, if I have to pay a lot for it then it's time to get saving.

...Tomorrow holds the sunlight of a brand new day for me."

Which dress is that, if I may ask? :3
I love wearing my Golden Anklets, Horns of the Demon, and Golden Laurels not because they're expensive but because they're cool. Plus, I've had them since they were released 3nodding
I "judge" avatars by their looks

Kawaii Nerd

13,000 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Timid 100
I think where the price tag comes in for me, unfortunately, is with body mods. gonk Leg and arm mods are almost exclusively in cash shop items, and I just can't stand having an avatar without bodymods anymore. So just arms+legs in any given avatar are gonna hike up the price for me.

But then, honestly, I am fine with any items for the rest. I'm not above using freebies, gold shop items or RIG fail items for the rest of my avatar.

I admit, though, I don't even know what's considered expensive anymore after all this inflation.

Man-Hungry Bunny

10,650 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
Denham
        I dunno, if I buy something expensive I'll try to use it as much as possible since I want to get my gold's worth. That being said, it bugs the crap out of me when someone has an avatar and uses something expensive that sticks out like a sore thumb, when a cheaper alternative would work better (usually happens with eyes, for some reason. The Kanoko and Blessing eyes are prime examples but less so than they used to be). But whatever, it's their avatar so they can do whatever the hell they want. The only time it's a real annoyance is when it's in the arenas, like you said. Though in the original arenas it's a little different, sometimes you can still tell people got voted into the winners' circle because of their flashy items.

The expensive eyes tend to look much better. Not always, but more often then not.

Merry Traveler

How much about Prestige and Show-Off are the expensive items to you?
I don't care, actually they make me uncomfortable using them.
I avoid them like plague, so I don't get tempted.

Do you think some expensive items are overrated?
there's a lot of item that's overated. especially when it just contain bits of pose.
you know those tiny detail or pose that will be overwhelmed by other item...
or those twisted leg mod that looks painful to see.

Do you think some cheaper items are underrated?
I prefer they stay that way, it means cheap for quality item XD

For those having Cosplay Avatars/Mules: How much do you spend for a Cosplay?
I don't cosplay, but I find myself making an avatar at least cost 1M now.
Before inflation, I can make an avatar in 500k range.

==============

It's really a matter of quality, the more expensive item has more higher quality or layer better
or that it has more desired pose. I get them not because of the price, because I like it and I can afford it.
Due to inflation though, I item that used to be in 200k range has gone to 500k to 1M,
so if you consider it, there's other better item in 1M range too, so naturally it's better to go for 1M one since it has better pose.

Avatar of Twilight and Astro Liner, I got them both @ 300k, look at those price now.
so my sword wielding avatar is actually quite cheap. 700k cost, since sword's freebie.

like the New Year Champagne item, I wanted it at first, once I got it, I found there's better alternative gonk
oh well, I end up selling it in favor of better and cheaper item, which is half the price of champagne.

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Miirru
Denham
        I dunno, if I buy something expensive I'll try to use it as much as possible since I want to get my gold's worth. That being said, it bugs the crap out of me when someone has an avatar and uses something expensive that sticks out like a sore thumb, when a cheaper alternative would work better (usually happens with eyes, for some reason. The Kanoko and Blessing eyes are prime examples but less so than they used to be). But whatever, it's their avatar so they can do whatever the hell they want. The only time it's a real annoyance is when it's in the arenas, like you said. Though in the original arenas it's a little different, sometimes you can still tell people got voted into the winners' circle because of their flashy items.

The expensive eyes tend to look much better. Not always, but more often then not.

My argument was that they don't always look better, such as in cases where the eyes detract from the personality and/or style of the rest of the avatar even though the eyes themselves look pretty. But really looking better is a personal preference anyway so you may not be inclined to agree with me either way.

Feral Sweetheart

When I first bought my first expensive item (HotD) I felt like I had to wear it all the time. I put so much time and effort into it and I had wanted them since I joined the site.

That slowly wore off. It was really freeing. I fell back into being able to make an avatar just because I Iiked it and no longer had to stick some more black in there to try and match the horns.

I don't discount an item just because it's cheap. My current hair is on the cheap end but it's such a great doll hair <3
Several pieces of my avid are common.

Big Member

How much about Prestige and Show-Off are the expensive items to you?
Expensive items mean nothing, it's how you put them together. In fact, a lot of the
ultra expensive items are super difficult to work with because their meant to be flashy
on their own. For instance, Cherubic Queen - I used to love it, and I got the cheaper
Solair version...but for me, it was a huge mistake!! I could hardly layer anything over,
or under the dress, and the hair was so bulky, it made dispersing colours really difficult.

Do you think some expensive items are overrated?
Yes. Back wings to me are somewhat overrated. They don't have enough poses, and aren't
that versatile to warrant such a high price.

Do you think some cheaper items are underrated?
Yes. But being underrated usually means no inflation!! biggrin

For those having Cosplay Avatars/Mules: How much do you spend for a Cosplay?
I don't make cosplays avis...but the average I spend use to be 2-3mil, now it's about 10mil
for a general avi. It would cost more if I didn't hoard all my old items.

Kawaii Lunatic

I wear stuff I think look good together. Sure, that means a lot of cash items lately because of the lovely arm and leg mods, but I don't go out of my way to use expensive or cheap items.

Personally, I only care about the worth of an item if I'm buying or selling.
i dont know why people like these 03's they're super overrated and ugly

Nimble Bunny

8,150 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Honestly alot of people who have super rare items will wear the item to show off they have it, even if it doesn't work with the avatar. So in some cases having expensive items can make you avi look worse then cheaper

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff