Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ruthless Shapeshifter

Hiatuses and breaks from Gaia certainly gives you a new perspective
of what your Gaian Community hangouts are.

Some people are pretty much a staple that when you log
in after years away, you still remember almost everything about them.
The way their avatar looks, the way they type their posts formats...
almost everything.

However...some random person pops in suddenly and starts talking
you up like you've been best friends for life and you're left with the sinking feeling
of "Who the hell are ya?"

Some people pretty much change everything about themselves every so often
and when they come around and ask you: "Hey do you remember me?"
You find yourself thinking...how could I remember- nothing about you is the same?

Also...I've pretty much changed everything about myself except for my name.
That is one thing sacred to me. ;D

So GCD,
gaia_spoons Is there anything about you at all that you haven't changed since you first started on Gaia?
gaia_spoons What are the things on a Gaian that helps you remember best their identity?
gaia_spoons Have you changed so many times, that you scarcely remember what you were before?
gaia_spoons Names are supposed to be permanent and yet on Gaia you can change them multiple times....what's in a name that you have to change it around?
gaia_spoons Avatars: something about your avatar you haven't changed for a long time? (be it skin, scar, underwear?)
gaia_nitemareright Extras >> have you changed yourself to become anonymous and stalked your well known friends pretending to be someone you're not? wink

OG Cutie-Pie

I always change things periodically...even accounts entirely a few times. For me, nothing has stayed the same. Not my avatar, not my sig, not any particular item, nothing. I prefer to blend into the shadows, and disappear if/when I choose.
I have more or less looked the same ever since I joined Gaia back in 2005.
I mean, there was a period where I went along with the whole Vampire thing, but at the moment I enjoy being my old self.

What people can remember from me is that I'm pretty much always wearing this black punk band on my head. I like how it covers the eyes a bit. I also tend to wear whatever G-corp related clothing that goes with an outfit. Right now I'm lovin' the zombie shirt.

I've never changed my name since I joined. Ever.
What I remember most about the people I've known here is the impact they've had on me as a person. I can easily forget an avatar, but if we ever had a meaningful and exciting interaction on Gaia, you'll never be forgotten.

Also if you're a grombie I'll file you away in my head for future reference. ninja

Thield's Boyfriend

Shameless Helper

31,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200
I remember most of the people I met and kept in touch with on here. As to about what I haven't changed - I think there isn't a single thing that was untouched. It's a process, I grew up and matured. My social skills became more or less shaped in some certain degree, I mean how to talk with people, how to get to know them more etc. When it comes to personality of people - it really takes time for me to get used to some people's behaviour. I usually remember their name, interests, living and such (basically most of the stuff we ever shared). I just need to get attached to a person in a way. [But it's sad when aquainstances/friends fall apart, ugh.]
I think I changed much. The thing I remember about myself from the very beginning of my journey with Gaia would be... immature, not a good English-speaker (seriously, Gaia taught me English, it's funny in a way). I grew more self-reliant thanks to the site (probably has to do with questing, which most of the time I did alone) but also a helper (I love to help others). What never changed - I'm a very cheerful and open person to other people - I always were tolerant and the very first thing I ever do when I encounter some differences - I try to understand them, never judge. Everyone's different.
About changing the name - I used to have other nickname, which then I changed under impression of the new being funny. On the contrary, most of the people would still call me by my previous nick. It really took a lot time to convince them to call me 'Toy'. [In addition, many people would call me by my real name after some time had passed.] I see no point in changing my nickname now - I mean, I'm used to it, don't feel the need to change it under any circumstances, people might recognise me a little (though, I never was a "famous" Gaian).
There's nothing I didn't change about my avatar, apart from the hair. Every avatar is somehow a progress and a new period for me. I had times when I would use one item all the time and create an avatar with it, then next and next. As I progressed, items changed and so on. Basically, I change everything as the time flies, I can't stop 'evolving'.

EDIT: Oh and about the "Extra" part. No, I never did that. If I were friends with someone, then I would talk with them as myself, if I fell out with someone - we would probably stop talking forever or would talk little. [SAAAD]

Angelic Cat

23,165 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Snowball Hero 200
My name stays the same. I'm trying blonde hair which might throw people off but I always have cats with me. So I change but if you notice me then you might remember me. I recognize usernames the most.

Ruthless Codger

User Image

Is there anything about you at all that you haven't changed since you first started on Gaia?
Uh, not really. I guess my taste in items hasn't changed all that much? But 8 years is a long time.

What are the things on a Gaian that helps you remember best their identity?
I don't really associate people with their avatars, so much as their post style.

Have you changed so many times, that you scarcely remember what you were before?
Sometimes.

Names are supposed to be permanent and yet on Gaia you can change them multiple
times....what's in a name that you have to change it around?

Mostly, I just get bored of them. I don't really understand this "names are supposed to be permanent" bit. Especially on the internet, since I'm prone to account-hopping on several other websites, too. Not just this one.

Avatars: something about your avatar you haven't changed for a long time? (be it skin, scar, underwear?)
I guess my avatar's base hair? Which is Girl's Silken in white.
I also tend to use the same or similar color schemes across all my avatars (black, white, shades of blue, gray). Although my Halloween one was kind of different (being a costume).

Extras >> have you changed yourself to become anonymous and stalked your well known friends pretending to be someone you're not?
I've changed myself to be anonymous plenty of times to d**k around, but not to stalk my friends, no. Especially considering that close to absolutely none of them use Gaia any more, in the first place. Jobs and c**t spawn and whatnot.
This topic is interesting to me since I have come back from quite a long hiatus.
xp

I defiantly have not changed my name nor will I ever. I like having my friends always being to recognize me. It kills me that so many people change there names and expect me to automatically remember them, lol.

I change my avi quite often but I use the same three colors (pink, purple and blue) over and over. It is like my trademark. 4laugh

Demonic Abomination

40,775 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Battle: Level 10 250
Is there anything about you at all that you haven't changed since you first started on Gaia?
Green hair, were feet as shoes when not wearing body mods.

What are the things on a Gaian that helps you remember best their identity?
Hair styles or item combos on certain people but for most user's their username
I hate when my friends change their usernames without warning.

Have you changed so many times, that you scarcely remember what you were before?
Nah I've only changed a bit over the years I'd say I'm easily recognizable
Names are supposed to be permanent and yet on Gaia you can change them multiple times....what's in a name that you have to change it around?
I've only changed my name once a long time ago as a joke to Rabid-Squirtle and promptly changed it back due to fear of losing my true name.

Avatars: something about your avatar you haven't changed for a long time? (be it skin, scar, underwear?)
Hair colour, romani shades, werefeet and winged anklets (when not using a body mod) combo of dev-tail, minis and horns of demon. Those are my avi staples.

Extras >> have you changed yourself to become anonymous and stalked your well known friends pretending to be someone you're not?
Nah too much of a hassle for me.

Devoted Scrooge

I've never changed my name and I've been a Grombie since it was released. Right now I'm using a skin mod, but I usually don't. I've always been a girl, except for the infamous moderator gender bender of 04 LOL.
I either always have white or red long hair. I also try to wear my panda hat as much as possible, to match my artworks (like my sig).
I just came back from a looong break, so I guess I wanted to do something new with my avie sweatdrop
Hmm, I'm gonna have to get new avie art xp

User Image

Formal Elocutionist

Yoru, you're the same lad I've always known. You say you've changed, but other than your avatars being much less lolita inspired. You still can't take off those horns though! lol
I miss seeing your posts in SF. You always had nifty ideas, and I'm still very grateful for your help with the Nestegg's hat. heart
I'm just glad you're still with us here on Gaia! biggrin

And the only thing I've kept throughout the years on Gaia have been my eyes. I've had the same eyes since I started this site, though I still use contacts.

I think people recognize me, though I don't know what makes me stand out. sweatdrop
I've kept my name and my avatar a brown skinned female all these years. xd

Perfect Pumpkin

I went through some changes early on in my Gaian life, but not within the last few years. My avatar has changed, but the theme remains the same. Really, the biggest way for me to remember someone is usually by their signature.

Formal Elocutionist

J 4 C K
I went through some changes early on in my Gaian life, but not within the last few years. My avatar has changed, but the theme remains the same. Really, the biggest way for me to remember someone is usually by their signature.

Your avatar's changes remind me of how batman upgrades his suit.

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
TBH i don't really care to remember people i haven't built relationships with. if i see people around that i've never really spoken to, and they expect me to remember who they are for whatever reason, i'mma be 'e.e who r u & y do i cur'

when people on my friends list change their usernames, and i see them being all blue named in the forums and i'm all "what da f** when did i friend youuuu?" the best way for me to remember who they are is to just check out their profiles and re-read their About Mes. it's how i figure out which username they had before, before they changed their username.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff